SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Quick and easy gall bladder poll
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quick and easy gall bladder poll Login/Join 
posted
Had a CAT scan today for something unrelated,
( No they didn't find any cats)

Surgeon wanted to know if I wanted my 66 y.o. gall bladder removed.
Seems it was a third full of stones.

Question:
Do you have yours ?

Choices:
Still have mine , without concern
I could use one ( just in case)
They took mine out, not missing it
I got yer pole right here
Seems like a good way to lose those extra unwanted pounds, do it

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54647 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
My wife had hers out about 25 years ago. It was good for her, as she feels better since it was done.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16517 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Still have mine
Wife had hers out in 2013, something to the effect of the fluid [bile?] being too viscous/thick & causing other issues.
Took a while to adjust to it & takes a bile supplement that seems to help.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15331 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine got inflamed/infected and didn't give me much of a choice. Exactly one year later, I got the same symptoms and found out that I had three(3) gall stones in my common bile duct. They had to come out.

Posts: 6622 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
Mine was taken out at 31 years old (12 years ago) via laparoscopic surgery. No issues afterwards, don't miss it. It was causing all sorts of problems in the week leading up to surgery with stones and it was inflamed.

Posts: 2518 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
If you have recurrent symptoms, yes, but jusr the presence of gall stones does not equal surgery.

Q

Posts: 26403 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
I had weight loss surgery in Dec 2021 and they removed my gall bladder at that time... said the various scans showed stones. I was 64 when I had the surgery.

I'm not missing it.

PS - years ago this was pretty major surgery. Now it can be done laparoscopically which really shortens the recovery period.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine was removed ~30 years ago. It was really bad. Had symptoms for quite a while. Finally got a diagnosis. Had a great surgeon. Did it laproscopicaly. It was attached to my liver. Thanks to the skills of the surgeon no need for a "zipper". Did have a drain for a couple days. Needed to monitor for bile leaking from liver. When the tube was pulled out the pain was the worst I ever experienced. Must be similar getting shot.
Never any problem after

Posts: 95 | Location: Spokane Washington | Registered: June 14, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine tried to kill me at age 49, leading to pancreatitis and a week in the hospital. I do NOT miss the pain on the first day. I don't miss the gall bladder, either.

Coincidentally, the wife's gall bladder also went sideways when she was 49, and it's gone, too. She only spent a night in the hospital that I remember; it may have been two nights.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2070 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigs are
my Panacea...
Picture of billpocz
posted Hide Post
Had mine out last year at age 61.

Full of stones, never had a symptom...

Had one stone travell to the pancreas and caused pancreatitis. One week in the hospital for that...

Doing fine without it....

--- Sig 365, 365XL, 245, P6

Posts: 2001 | Location: Rural Northeastern KY | Registered: May 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
If you have recurrent symptoms, yes, but jusr the presence of gall stones does not equal surgery.

Don't take anything out unless and until you have to. It is a majory surgery and nothing to trifle with. People die from simple things like colonoscopies. Just ask Joan Rivers.

Posts: 20108 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:

Don't take anything out unless and until you have to. It is a majory surgery and nothing to trifle with. People die from simple things like colonoscopies. Just ask Joan Rivers.

Yep, just because it's laparoscopy doesn't necessarily mean it's benign. Had a surgeon who was chief of staff at a hospital where I worked in ER several years ago take out a patient's right kidney. Only problem was, the surgery was for the gallbladder. Bet that, during obtaining consent for the procedure, the list of all the risks involved didn't have "taking out the wrong organ" as one.

Q

Posts: 26403 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:

I had mine out because I had to, the stones were the cause of the most pain I've ever experienced. That being said, I'd never do anything medically that's not necessary. As someone above stated, a co workers dad died during the colonoscopy due to not coming out of the anesthesia.

Posts: 4114 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do we know what causes stones to stay in or depart ?

Posts: 54647 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E Plebmnista; Norcom, Forcom, Perfectumum.
Picture of OneWheelDrive
posted Hide Post
I'm also 66 and still have mine.

================================================
Ultron: "You're unbearably naive."
Vision: "Well, I was born yesterday."

Posts: 4788 | Location: St. Louis, Mo | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Still there after 65 years. A friend had his taken out yesterday morning. He said the stones were from 19 cans of Coke per day. He quit that all together. He's been texting me today saying the gas they inflated him with is causing some real discomfort. Believe he is taking oxycodone for the pain. He has had attacks for a few years. Weight down from 354 pounds at 6'8" to 288 pounds. He's a big man. We talk about real food a lot as he has been eating very clean for over a year now.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
My dad had his out in the 50's. Only down side was having to avoid certain foods.

quote:
Originally posted by filipows:
Did it laproscopicaly. It was attached to my liver.

^ I hate to even mention this and don't mean to bring negativity into this but.. another family member was having what the Dr's thought were issues from his gall bladder. They scoped him and found tumors in his liver. They had spread from his pancreas. Not very long story short, that was that. Frown

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Short. Fat. Bald.
Costanzaesque.

Picture of TexasScrub
posted Hide Post
Since I assist about 10 of these a week I only worry that a small stone will cause an obstruction. I'll assume that they did a HIDAscan, or an MRCP, if you were symptomatic. If not symptomatic as I expect, keep the damn thing if its not causing problems.

Doctors just wanna cut/cut/cut

Posts: 1987 | Location: Victoria, TX | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Life's too short to
live by the rules
posted Hide Post
Had mine out when I was 20 or 21. 30 ish years later, really no issues.

Chris

Posts: 1696 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: August 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you Texas Scrub