SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Marilyn Mosby's attorney suspects perjury case looming, asks Biden Admin to drop case
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Marilyn Mosby's attorney suspects perjury case looming, asks Biden Admin to drop case Login/Join 
posted
Well perjury charges were filed anyway. Lets see if Joe pressures for a dismissal.

BALTIMORE (WBFF) — Ahead of President Joe Biden’s visit to Baltimore Thursday, a group of Marilyn Mosby supporters publicly decried the federal investigation into her tax history and financial dealings and called on the U.S. Department of Justice to end the probe.

Mosby, Baltimore’s top prosecutor, is personally represented by A. Scott Bolden in the criminal investigation that also includes Mosby’s husband, City Council President Nick Mosby. Bolden attended the news conference and said the probe is politically motivated; a common narrative he’s been saying since the start of the investigation.
Bolden said the investigation was launched under the Trump Administration and it should be stopped since Mosby – a prominent, progressive Black female prosecutor.

Bolden, the current managing partner of the Washington, D.C. office of ReedSmith, also said the Criminal Tax Division of the U.S. Department of Justice met with him regarding the investigation on Sept. 10, 2021, to discuss a perjury case the federal government over a signature on a document.

“You can’t prosecute me for perjury, or that I lied about a document, without telling me what that document is. Without telling me what the lie is. That’s denial of due process,” Bolden said. “Everyone one of them, there were eight in the room, refused to tell us what the lie was – what document they saw.”

Bolden joined several other prominent civil rights attorneys and pastors at the press conference that was held at the Douglas Memorial Community Church. Ben Crump, nationally-known civil rights attorney – who represented George Floyd’s family – spearheaded the event and reiterated their plea to the Biden Administration to drop the investigation. Crump said Mosby is being targeted for her progressive policies.

“I can't get understand, for the life of me, why Marilyn Mosby [and others] are being continuously investigated today. These are Democratic Black leaders,” Crump said. “But we don’t understand why the Biden Administration continues this prosecution of the Biden Administration.”

News of the federal investigation first broke in March and FOX45 News obtained video of federal investigators getting let into City Hall en route to Mosby’s office a month later, though the video itself was date stamped March 10. Subpoenas have been issued for the Mosb’s’ financial records, including documents related to both their political campaigns and donations to various charities, including Baltimore-area churches.

When pressed for proof the probe is politically motivated, Bolden cited examples of when former U.S. Attorney General Bill Barr publicly criticized Mosby and her policies.

Kobi Little, president of the Baltimore City Chapter of the NAACP, doubled down on the plea to the current administration to drop the case.

"We want to send a very clear message to the Biden/Harris administration - the apparatus of state, law and enforcement -- cannot and should not be used to advance political agendas,” Little said.

Little, along with Willie Flowers, president of the Maryland NAACP chapter, pushed people to donate to the Mosby’s legal defense fund, which was launched following the news that the $45,000 tax lien on the couple’s home was paid off in June 2021.

Flowers declined to say how much money the state chapter would donate but said “we plan to give as much as possible.” He did call on the approximately 10,000 members statewide to donate as well.

The legal defense fund has been cloaked in secrecy. It’s unclear who has donated, how much has been raised and if the donors will be disclosed. Both Nick and Marilyn Mosby have declined to comment on the issue.

Bolden said the fund was necessary because of the financial situation facing the couple, noting the salaries are “modest, government salaries.” Mr. Mosby, as city council president, makes $128,583 a year as a salary. As Baltimore’s top prosecutor, Mrs. Mosby makes $238,772 a year.

No charges have been filed against Marilyn or Nick Mosby at this point. Bolden said there is “no deal to be cut.”

“We will continue to fight,” he said.

LINK: https://foxbaltimore.com/news/...robe-as-perjury-case

Posts: 17231 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Undertaker
Picture of BigCity
posted Hide Post
Don't worry. Soros will see that she gets off.

John

The key to enforcement is to punish the violator, not an inanimate object. The punishment of inanimate objects for the commission of a crime or carelessness is an affront to stupidity.

Posts: 1728 | Location: People's Republik of Maryland | Registered: November 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
“I can't get understand, for the life of me, why Marilyn Mosby [and others] are being continuously investigated today.
Let me help ya out there Ben. The Mosby's, not unlike you, are pure criminal garbage who need to be sporting orange jumpsuits.
quote:
Kobi Little, president of the Baltimore City Chapter of the NAACP, doubled down on the plea to the current administration to drop the case.

"We want to send a very clear message to the Biden/Harris administration - the apparatus of state, law and enforcement -- cannot and should not be used to advance political agendas,” Little said.
You mean to advance political agendas that are not those supported by liberals. None of you have any issue using government against 'your' opponents. Cry me a fricking river.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigCity:
I didn't even realize they were dating.

Posts: 107562 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:

Friends with benefits.

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!

Posts: 1365 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
“I can't get understand, for the life of me, why Marilyn Mosby [and others] are being continuously investigated today. These are Democratic Black leaders,”

Democratic Black leaders, that's right, they are not supposed to be investigated when the Dems are in charge.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Under her watch drug dealing is through the roof. She and Kim Foxx are two of a kind.

Posts: 17231 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Must be tough making ends meet on $370,000 a year.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13399 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
WTF do those two lead other than their office staffs? I never got that about politicians. They're not leaders of anything other than their staffers, maybe committees. They certainly don't lead their constituents, voters, movements or anything else. And WTF does it matter that they're black? Since when was that a get out of jail free card? Throw the book at those two.

Posts: 3529 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Am I the only one who saw what you did there? Big Grin

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RoverSig
posted Hide Post
Well, what she and her lawyers feared indeed happened.

The indictment came out today, Thursday 23 Jan 22, as noted above. It was a four count indictment by the federal grand jury for perjury (in an application for a Covid financial hardship payout) and a false statement on a loan application.

Here's an article from today, which includes a .pdf of the indictment ---

https://www.wbaltv.com/article...-baltimore/36901609#

Looks fairly ripe for some sort of plea bargain and settlement, maybe? The feds are also looking at her election campaign for wrong-doing. Remember, this woman was the prosecuter in the Freddie Gray case... Baltimore is the city where the last Progressive mayor (Pugh) ended up with a three year prison term.

Posts: 1597 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: June 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
quote:
quote:
Perhaps

Posts: 107562 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ubique
Picture of TSE
posted Hide Post
It is troubling that the concern is not about politically motivated prosecutions but only those affecting progressive black leaders.

Calgary Shooting Centre

Posts: 1494 | Location: Alberta | Registered: July 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://thehill.com/regulation...perjury-charges?rl=1

A Maryland grand jury on Thursday indicted Baltimore State's Attorney Marilyn Mosby on two counts of perjury and two counts of filing false mortgage applications.

Mosby faces a hearing at an unscheduled date in the U.S. District Court of Maryland in Baltimore. If convicted on the charges, Mosby faces up to 30 years in prison and a $1 million fine for each count of filing a false mortgage application and up to five years in prison for each perjury charge.

The perjury charges stem from Mosby's application for pandemic relief money in May and December of 2020, when the attorney filed for federal relief dollars even though she "had not experienced any of the enumerated financial hardships she claimed to have experienced," according to court documents.

The state's attorney was also indicted for filing false mortgage applications when she purchased two vacation homes in Florida. In January and February of 2021, Mosby bought a $428,000 condo in Long Beach but did not disclose — as is required in mortgage applications — that she owed the IRS more than $45,000.

Mosby was indicted on another count for similar reasons when she purchased a vacation home in Kissimmee, Fla, in July and September of 2020.

The Baltimore attorney is also under investigation in a separate federal probe into her personal business and tax records, along with her husband Nick Mosby, the city's council president.

adding:

I read the indictment. The charges are a bit more complicated than indicated above. Indictment is at:

https://storage.courtlistener....mdd.505548.1.0_3.pdf

Mosby had a deferred compensation plan from the City of Baltimore. She couldn't tap the money until she left her job. Mosby filed she wanted to withdraw $40k because under the CARES Act she had suffered adverse financial consequences from the virus as a result of:

- being quarantined, furloughed or laid off
- having reduced work hours
- unable to work because of child care
- closing or reduction in hours of a business I own or operate

She affirmed under penalty of perjury her application was true. The indictment said she didn't suffer any of the adverse financial consequences.

it sounds like the money she got was in her account but she used the CARES act to access it early.

she used the money withdrawn as a down payment for a house in Florida.

When Mosby applied for a mortgage for the Florida home, she did not disclose she owed the IRS $45k.

Then Mosby executed an agreement w a vacation home management company giving them control over rental of the Florida property.

But in a rider to her mortgage agreement, she said she would not give a management firm control over use of the property. By falsely executing the rider, she got a lower interest rate.

Posts: 19570 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have always supported term limits.

One term in public office, then a term in prison.

Retired holster maker.
Retired police chief.
Formerly Sergeant, US Army Airborne Infantry, Pathfinders

Posts: 1097 | Location: Colorado | Registered: March 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
WTF do those two lead other than their office staffs? I never got that about politicians. They're not leaders of anything other than their staffers, maybe committees. They certainly don't lead their constituents, voters, movements or anything else. And WTF does it matter that they're black? Since when was that a get out of jail free card? Throw the book at those two.

I've ceased to use the term 'leaders', instead they're 'elected officials'

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Perhaps

No. did you see my comment?

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!

Posts: 1365 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nah…pickin’ up what y’all layin’ down. Wink

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
this report summarizes the charges better than I did in a prior post

https://www.breitbart.com/crim...es-on-florida-homes/

The indictment, published by Baltimore NBC affiliate WBAL-11, claims Mosby committed fraud and perjury by taking advantage of the CARES Act, the first coronavirus relief bill, to claim falsely that she qualified for a “coronavirus-related distribution” from her public employee retirement account.

She allegedly received $36,000 that she used for a down payment on a home in Kissimmee, Florida.

She also allegedly did not reveal to her lender that she owed tens of thousands to the IRS in back taxes.

And she allegedly signed the mortgage knowing she in tended to violate its prohibition on using a management company to run it as a vacation rental.

She then allegedly repeated the fraud to obtain $45,000 from her retirement account for a second home in Long Boat Key, Florida. Once again, she allegedly did not reveal that she owed back taxes to the IRS.

Posts: 19570 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What is it with these " black leaders " and their inability to pay their taxes ?

Posts: 4055 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post