SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    2019 Ford Ranger revealed today
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2019 Ford Ranger revealed today Login/Join 
Picture of lkdr1989
posted
Me want!!! Seems to have design elements from the Tacoma & Colorado.

More pictures at the article link.

quote:

This is it: one of the most iconic nameplates in trucks has returned to the US, with the covers taken off the 2019 Ford Ranger at the Detroit Auto Show today. Aiming to take a bite out of the midsize truck market, it’s a slice of F-150 ability in a more urban-friendly package. All the same, Ford knows well enough that you can’t count solely on nostalgia for sales.

Indeed, the original Ranger built its loyal following by virtue of its rugged talents, and so that’s what Ford is focusing on this time around, too. A high-strength steel frame underpins an all-new exterior design, each “torture-tested,” Ford insists, alongside the best-selling F-150. The Ranger also borrows some of the full-size truck’s running gear.

That’s the 2.3-liter EcoBoost engine, a turbocharged gas engine with direct fuel injection. For the Ranger, it’s paired with a 10-speed automatic transmission as standard. No power or towing load numbers yet – we’ll have to wait a little closer to launch for those – but Ford is promising torque on a par with a V6 but with the efficiency of a four-cylinder.

Of course, much of the Ranger’s appeal is wrapped up in its design, and there Ford has skirted both close to nostalgia while making some departures. The steel front and rear bumpers are mounted to its frame, while the high belt line, raked grille and windshield, and short overhangs both look suitably purposeful while helping with things like clearing obstacles.

The tailgate is designed for both cargo and people, with an optional integrated trailer hitch. Although the regular model’s ground clearance is said to be decent – again, we’ll have to wait for final numbers – there’ll be a Ranger FX4 Off-Road Package that will bump up the trail potential even more. That’ll include off-road-tuned shocks and all-terrain tires, together with a heavy-gauge steel front bash late and skid plates both mounted to the frame, and FX4 badging.

It’ll also come with the Terrain Management System, similar to what’s offered in Ford’s beastly F-150 Raptor sports truck. That has four drive modes – normal; grass, gravel and snow; mud and ruts; and sand – that can be flipped between while the Ranger is in motion. Each will have its own throttle and transmission mapping, together with adjusting factors like traction, drivability, and performance.

In addition, it introduces a new feature to Ford’s range. Dubbed Trail Control, it’s effectively cruise control but for off-road use. Intended for low-speed and tricky terrain, it handles acceleration and braking for each wheel individually, leaving the driver to focus on steering.

Both 2WD and 4WD Ranger models will be available, each with Dana Trac-Lok differentials. An electronic-locking rear differential will be standard on the FX2 and FX4, and optional on all other models. The 4WD Ranger will have 2-high, 4-high, and 4-low as standard.

Inside, there’s space for five and cargo. SYNC 3 with its 8-inch touchscreen, Apple CarPlay, and Android Auto is optional, while the driver gets dual-LCD info screens that show things like real-time vehicle information, navigation, and audio settings. In a departure from the original Ranger, the 2019 truck will have plenty of driver-assistance tech too. Automatic Emergency Braking is standard, while lane keeping assistance and departure warnings, a reverse sensing system, and blind-spot warnings with trailer coverage are standard once you get to XLT and Lariat trim.

The 2019 Ranger Lariat also throws in pre-collision assistance with pedestrian detection, together with adaptive cruise control. Other options across the range include onboard LTE with WiFi hotspot support for up to ten devices, AC power and USB outlets, and a B&O PLAY premium audio system. Outside, there’s the choice of LED headlamps and taillamps, together with puddle lamps and lighting for the cargo bed. Ford’s Smart Trailer Tow connector can warn about mis-connected trailer links.

The 2019 Ranger will start out in XL trim, stepping up through XLT and then Lariat; both SuperCab and SuperCrew cab configurations will be offered. There’ll be Chrome and Sport appearance packages, plus the FX Off-Road package. Pricing will be announced closer to the truck’s release early in 2019, with production kicking off at Ford’s Michigan Assembly Plant later this year.

https://www.slashgear.com/2019...-show-2018-13515100/

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
Nice little rig!

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
I like the look of the 2 door version.

Damn, and I was getting close to pulling the trigger n a used one. Now I'll probably wait and spend more.

Any info on price estimates yet?

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Reminds me a lot of a Tacoma or Tundra

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like a Hilux

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6227 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ugh, what is up with all these short bed yuppy trucks? These 5ft or 5.5ft beds may as well be an suv. Ordinarily I'd say to each his own but it's getting harder and harder to find an extended cab with the half doors and 6 or 8ft bed that's actually useful for something other than groceries

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:

Ummmm HOW? it looks exactly like it's big brother, the F150.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by limblessbiff:
Ugh, what is up with all these short bed yuppy trucks? These 5ft or 5.5ft beds may as well be an suv. Ordinarily I'd say to each his own but it's getting harder and harder to find an extended cab with the half doors and 6 or 8ft bed that's actually useful for something other than groceries
Uhh, I've had a F150 with a 5.5 foot bed for upwards of 17 years, and its been more than "useful" for hauling all manner of building and landscaping items. And when it came to heading to the lake with the 22' ski boat, it handled that without issues with four adults riding comfortably in the cab.

The Ranger is an interesting offering with the mid-size truck market so hot right now. I've reached a point in my life where I no longer 'need' a 1/2 or 3/4 ton truck, but having driven a truck for most of my adult life, I don't think I could drive a car or SUV and be happy. The Ranger just might be a viable alternative. Only time will tell...

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:

Ummmm HOW? it looks exactly like it's big brother, the F150.
Actually, it looks a whole lot like its European sibling. It is however interesting to compare the styling differences.

European Ranger

US Ranger

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good looking truck. I got to drive a co-worker's Colorado ZR2 diesel the other day. Leather, lots of tech, that 2.8 4-cyl diesel pulls hard. It was impressive.

Posts: 3596 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Good looking truck for sure.

Already know they are going to have so much stupid crap be standard.
Keep it simple.
Just give me a stripped down, non-driver assisted, lever activated 4x4, truck with a manual that does not cost 30k.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25426 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:

Just give me a stripped down, non-driver assisted, lever activated 4x4, truck with a manual that does not cost 30k.

Bingo! That's what I'm interested in. Not some ridiculous 10 speed automatic. Roll Eyes

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Nice truck!

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3969 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Not sure about the engine choice. When I first heard about this truck I was hoping for the 2.7 V-6 Ecoboost used in the F-150. Definitely not the old Ranger which was a basic truck.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11768 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
The big auto show here is about to launch. There will be tons of new photos if it is there.

Posts: 17889 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:

Bingo! That's what I'm interested in. Not some ridiculous 10 speed automatic. Roll Eyes

Due to EPA mileage standards eventually almost everything will come with multiple gear automatics and turbo gas engines. If our diesel standards were not so restrictive they could produce a vehicle with adequate HP and mileage in the 40”s. The F150 with the small diesel is supposed to get 30 mpg highway. In the 80’s Honda got 50 mpg with their carbureted cars, we should be in the 60’s by now but regulations put a damper on that.

Posts: 4114 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Does it offer the 428 Cobra Jet engine?

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8357 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

+1

A 10 speed? Seriously?

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Micropterus:
quote:
quote:

+1

A 10 speed? Seriously?

Absolutely. You can thank Obama and his CAFE standards for all of that. Gotta keep getting better and better fuel mileage out of vehicles, or else the planet is gonna implode.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3969 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fuimus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
The big auto show here is about to launch. There will be tons of new photos if it is there.

FOX news is at the show and revealed the new Ranger this morning. It's a good looking truck.

Posts: 5369 | Location: Ypsilanti Township | Registered: January 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post