SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What Is the ‘NPC’ Meme? Liberals Rage at Cartoons Mocking Their Scripted Thoughts
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Is the ‘NPC’ Meme? Liberals Rage at Cartoons Mocking Their Scripted Thoughts Login/Join 
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
I was invited to a Halloween party in a few weeks and I had no idea what to be. Now I think I know.

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
You can find videos on youtube of these automatons chanting in unison. Just freakin' bizarre behavior.

Posts: 107602 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Saw a funny photoshop of the MSNBC logo: MSNPC Big Grin

Posts: 13743 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
^^^ You will also see it on page 1 of this thread! Big Grin

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
It's in the first post of this thread.

Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
How the hell did I miss that? Reducing my alcohol intake has made my blood too thick. Sheesh....

Posts: 13743 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
quote:
The PC is what the game is played on, by the player.

...non-player characters (NPCs)

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess you're not a gamer. I've never heard the avatar the person playing as described as anything other than a character or "my guy." It felt weird to describe it as an avatar, because that's funtionally a whole other thing. Look, let's let the meme creators create the memes, we don't need to shoehorn definitions to create a pantheon. Smile

Have you played many MMO (massively-multiplayer online) roleplaying games or their antecedents, MUDs (multi-user dungeons)?

Because in many of those, people talk about PC vs NPC.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:
I was invited to a Halloween party in a few weeks and I had no idea what to be. Now I think I know.

My son just made his NPC face for Halloween. :^|

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess you're not a gamer. I've never heard the avatar the person playing as described as anything other than a character or "my guy." It felt weird to describe it as an avatar, because that's funtionally a whole other thing. Look, let's let the meme creators create the memes, we don't need to shoehorn definitions to create a pantheon. Smile

Have you played many MMO (massively-multiplayer online) roleplaying games or their antecedents, MUDs (multi-user dungeons)?

That’s not really my realm, no. I believe you. You talking console gaming?

Posts: 17131 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
quote:
quote:
quote:

That’s not really my realm, no. I believe you. You talking console gaming?

I haven't played those games in years. I think some of them are on consoles now but in the past, they were pretty exclusively on computers.

That type of game tends to be narrative-driven and tries to put everything in the context of some imaginary world. A lot of background color and necessary mechanics are provided by NPCs - banks, shops, guild leaders, etc. To me, what makes that type of game enjoyable is a combination of an interesting, detailed world and interacting with the other players in the world (which, depending on the game, can number in the thousands or more).

Basically, the PC/NPC thing is more visible because a player interacts with more other players and NPCs, and the NPCs serve more important roles, than in many other types of games.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3447 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grab SKS,
go innawoods
Picture of mrmoneybags
posted Hide Post
Maybe this will help those having trouble understanding.

The intro is good too.

https://youtu.be/pEpUUU0e-Q0 (phoneposting, not sure how to embed from here, sorry).

Posts: 1913 | Location: 42003 | Registered: November 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
"ambiguously ethnic host" Perfect

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
Here's my contribution. Someone can caption.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
Infowars is having a $10k contest for best NPC meme

Posts: 841 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3447 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yep. Gonna piss off the Collective somethin' awful.

Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
I prefer zombie....but this works....

Anything that shows their crazy is good....

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm old, but the shop where I work has an internet sales section staff by the "juniors." They explained it and have been sharing memes with me. I find it refresher that so many 20ish folks appreciate freedom, more so than the 30ish folks.

Posts: 17145 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I don't know if any of you guys follow the meme crowd but there is a common saying "the left can't meme". It's proven true over and over. The recent example is they are trying to say that conservatives are NPCs, are using the character and are failing miserably. It's kind of sad how they prove they have no original thought and actually are NPC.

Posts: 45374 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post