SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    One per cent have 'thinness gene' and can eat what they want
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

One per cent have 'thinness gene' and can eat what they want Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
I’m one of ‘em, I think. Up to age 50. I would go out after supper for a malted milk in a fruitless attempt to put on weight. No longer, unfortunately. Now I have to watch my food intake very closely.

“Just one per cent of the population are able to eat whatever they want and not put on weight, according to researchers, who claim to have discovered a 'thinness gene'.

Scientists studied thousands of people's genetic profiles and found that around one percent were missing the so-called 'ALK' gene.

These people were found to be naturally thin compared to other healthy adults, suggesting that there may be a link between this gene and their weight.”

https://mol.im/a/8344153

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8959 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I get accused of this pretty regularly at work.

34 yo, 160lb, 6'0"
Graduated HS at about 115lb

We don't really eat out with any regularity & I've got 2 (soon to be 3) young kids & a pool to keep me busy.

No regular workouts or anything like that.
Started running last weekend (after no running at all for about 10 years), plan to get a short run in weekly (just over a mile for 1 lap of my neighborhood).

This message has been edited. Last edited by: P250UA5,

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15331 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I had that gene until about age 35. Smile

Posts: 9516 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My cousin ,Dale won't eat all day ,if there is no food in front of him.

And then will out eat three people,at supper.

He is 6 ft. Four inches and 180 lbs.
34 in. Waist.
Life isn't fair.

And his 5 ft. 11 in. Sister has calorie count until the cows come home,
She
Is 45 lbs. over weight.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bendable,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54647 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
I unfortunately lack this trait, and am required to watch my intake. 6'1" 180. Formerly 236.

Posts: 2016 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
I stayed at 178 lbs from high school to age 51, now struggling to stay below 220.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6487 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Goddamn one percenters! It's not fair!

Razz

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
I had that gene until my 2nd child. Now I sit about 20lbs heavier than I used to.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My neighbor has that I swear. He's 48, not a lick of fat on him and I've seen him eating frosting directly from the can.

I think about having a bowl of ice cream and I gain 2 lbs.

Posts: 729 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: May 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For the most part it's consistency. I know a couple co-workers rail thin that people always joke how lucky they are but if you look at what they are actually eating every day it's mostly healthy and they have a very active lifestyle.

No one is going to eat a ton of crap food every day and have a sedentary lifestyle while maintaining a fit body.

Posts: 3923 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
If I have it, I whooped its ass Wink

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23263 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hairy2dawg
posted Hide Post
I’m definitely part of the 1%. I’m 5’7” & my weight fluctuates between 125 & 130, and has since high school. I am 51 now & still have a pair of pants that fit when I was 16. I can eat as much as I want, whenever I want. Everybody at the fire hall says I should weigh 300 lbs., because it’s not the fruits & nuts healthy stuff. If I had to change my diet to eat healthy, I’m afraid I’d shrivel up to nothing.

Posts: 1276 | Location: Athens, GA | Registered: February 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I might have it. Despite living on bacon, eggs, cheeseburgers and beer, I have always been pretty slender. I was 145-150 lbs. for a long time, but in recent years have gained 5 lbs., with a little abs of flab. My work is quite physically active, which may be a factor.

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I may be in that group. 6'1" 175-180 lbs for the last 40+ years (57 now). Tried serious weight gain for about 6 months once, exercising and 6000+ cal. per day; hit 185. Funny thing is, I don't really remember ever being triggered by "hunger pains" and I really only eat 2X per day, for the last decade. Though I do have a vicious sweet tooth when it comes to evening snacks.

Ken

Posts: 1049 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: December 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
I’ve seen plenty of guys who can eat whatever they want and not gain weight. The problem is that being thin makes them think they are healthy and they do not exercise and eat terribly. I know several friends/coworkers who were like this who ended up having heart attacks.

Posts: 4114 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not here. I put on weight just looking at stuff.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13401 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can tell you right now I’m not one of those 1% freaks. I can gain weight by smelling water.

Posts: 685 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: July 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and every one of them words rang true and glowed like burnin’ coal.
Picture of TannerBoyl
posted Hide Post
My dad seems to have that gene. I certainly do not.

At 78, he eats as much as I do and still stays under 170lbs. I eat a lot and float between 200 - 220lbs. He will match me plate for plate every meal!

Posts: 4594 | Location: Redondo Beach, California | Registered: February 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hairy2dawg:
I’m definitely part of the 1%. I’m 5’7” & my weight fluctuates between 125 & 130, and has since high school. I am 51 now & still have a pair of pants that fit when I was 16. I can eat as much as I want, whenever I want....

Me too. 5'8, 150 lbs, slightly more than when I graduated from high school 51 years ago. I suppose it helps that I exercise daily, I run about 20 miles a week, more when I'm training for a half marathon.

Also, I skip breakfast. Don't hate me!

Posts: 15908 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
I wish I had that gene, because I sure as hell do not. I am 6’ 1/2 and porked up to 335 right before my first son was born. Seven years later, I am 263 and hoping to drop another 20 this year to ward off further health issues.

Posts: 3150 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post