SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Where to get old film developed?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where to get old film developed? Login/Join 
Picture of p08
posted
Wife found some old film her parents took. She was going to take it to Walgreens, but they charge $15 per roll! I looked online and found some places that are much cheaper, but have yet to find reviews on them. Hell not even sure that the film is still good? To add to it, there is a reel of 16mm film!

-------------------------------------
Always the pall bearer, never the corpse.

Posts: 700 | Location: Illinois | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m pretty sure Walgreens sends film out for developing to a third party. They were phasing out in-store film developing before I left 3 1/2 years ago. I found a few rolls in my moms stuff I’d like to develop. Post what you decide if you don’t mind.

Posts: 2157 | Location: St. Louis | Registered: January 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
$15 is going to kill you?
One time deal right?

Posts: 22909 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of p08
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
One time deal right?

Well she found about 8-9 rolls. So yeah it will get a bit expensive.

-------------------------------------
Always the pall bearer, never the corpse.

Posts: 700 | Location: Illinois | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I say do it. You never know what family treasures you might find in those films, and if you don't get them developed you'll wonder about it the rest of your life. What does your wife say?

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
I think Costco does it also, do not know the price.

Posts: 5302 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
'Old Film' (who knows how old), 16mm (movie film, B&W, Color?)...I'd DEFINITELY take that to a Professional Camera Store and let them advise you.

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8888 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honor and Integrity
posted Hide Post
Do you have a Camera Company near you? The one near me offers that service at reasonable cost.

Posts: 2222 | Location: Fitchburg, WI | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine has been shooting a lot of film and taking it here for developing. I'd contact them with your specific needs.

https://www.blacklabimaging.com/

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Your choice of places to do the processing depends in part on the kind of film.

Any of the black and white films can be processed by labs you can find online. If you have a professional film laboratory, they might have B&W processing, so look online.

C-31 the most common color print film is easy to get processed. Unless it is really old, the most that can happen is the colors will be wonky.

E-6 Ektachrome slide film is harder to get processed, since it needs to go to a professional lab.

If it is K-14, Kodachrome, Kodak stopped processing it in 2010. I recall several firms tried to reverse engineer the process, but I don't recall if they succeeded or the name of the firm.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31443 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
Your choice of places to do the processing depends in part on the kind of film.

Any of the black and white films can be processed by labs you can find online. If you have a professional film laboratory, they might have B&W processing, so look online.

C-31 the most common color print film is easy to get processed. Unless it is really old, the most that can happen is the colors will be wonky.

E-6 Ektachrome slide film is harder to get processed, since it needs to go to a professional lab.

If it is K-14, Kodachrome, Kodak stopped processing it in 2010. I recall several firms tried to reverse engineer the process, but I don't recall if they succeeded or the name of the firm.

There was one lab doing Kodachrome after Kodak stopped, but I think I have read that that lab quit doing Kodachrome. I think, but am not certain, no one can process Kodachrome any more.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p08:
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
One time deal right?

Well she found about 8-9 rolls. So yeah it will get a bit expensive.

Just get a couple roles developed at a time, maybe one or two a month until all the roles have been developed.

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It depends on the type of processing, plus the storage conditions. These folks may be a last ditch resource; I used them several years ago to develop a few rolls from the early '80s. IF Kodachrome, I hear that it may still be processed as black and white film, but not color. Dwayne's Photo in KS processed the last batch of color Kodachrome ten years ago.

https://www.filmrescue.com/

Posts: 3221 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
I have been developing my own, but before that I used TheDarkroom.Com, with them you will get your negatives mailed back. Really good service and scans.

Posts: 3572 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Spoke to my lab over lunch they are still doing "some" film processing.

You might try contacting them. No idea on costs.

Douglas Photographic
Ric Wolford
2300 E Douglas
Wichita, KS 67214
316-264-3013
www.douglasphoto.com
ric@douglasphoto.com

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
When cleaning out my mom/dad-in-laws place after they passed, we came across an old Brownie camera with film in it. It as partially exposed. This was about 10 years ago, but spent more than $15 to have it developed by a professional company ... and even though only had three good photos on it we were so glad to have spent the money. Well worth those three photos from long, long time ago.

Recently, the wife and I were talking about a hobby developing our own film/photos. Have done pinhole pics in the past and thought, why not.

Have both color and black/white film to shoot so maybe fun and worth it.

Spend the money and be surprised ... will be worth it.

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post