SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Water Softeners - Anyone using Salt Less?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Water Softeners - Anyone using Salt Less? Login/Join 
Picture of UTsig
posted
We're in need of a new water softener and are trying to decide between the newer technology that doesn't use salt or the one that does. The salt less is $3500 installed with a 6 yr life. The replacement for what we have is $1775 installed, we use $25.00 of Potassium Chloride a month so that's $1800.00 over 6 years. Basically the same cost. Our current softener lasted 15 years and could possibly be repaired but we're opting to replace.

Does anyone have the no salt system, are you happy with it? Any thoughts on either one, something I'm missing?

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3407 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by UTsig:
Our current softener lasted 15 years and could possibly be repaired but we're opting to replace.
According to the water softener people with whom I talked: After a while the resin beads don't recharge well. At fifteen years old you'd be looking not only at whatever needs replacing, but replacing the media, too.
quote:
Originally posted by UTsig:
Does anyone have the no salt system, are you happy with it? Any thoughts on either one, something I'm missing?
Can't help you with the Salt Less question, but...

Our last two softeners have been "no-name" brands that, frankly, didn't last long. The current one is only five years old or so and already the water metering doesn't meter anymore, so it's regenerating once weekly on a fixed schedule.

Not sure which way we'll go, next time.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Interested in this, we've talked about it, never did it, and the hard water has taken out a couple of water heaters, clogged some screens at taps.

Water comes in at a place without power, we'd have to drop 110 for any unit that needs it, be interested if there are non powered filtration/softener options...

Posts: 23594 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Aqua Systems manufactures their water softeners in my town, so I buy from the factory showroom.

First one lasted over 20 years and then puked the media into my brand new water heater. That was fun to fill and drain the water heater repeatedly to flush it out. Cost about $1000 with simple electric timer, brass valves, set at 6 or 12 day regeneration based on how many people in the house. No metering but at the time, getting a bigger unit with the simple timer was cheaper. I had to replace the timer once but that was a simple top end swap.

I bought a new one from them this year that is High Efficiency, using pressurized flow regeneration instead of gravity flow, with metering and various features and alarms. About $2K with 6 year warranty and free annual service check. They've had to come out a couple times for failed regeneration - plugged injector nozzle, and some optimizing of the sizing of the flow restrictors. It's a new product and there are some kinks they are working out. But it uses a LOT less salt.

But it's all plastic valves and I don't see it lasting much longer than the warranty. Maybe 10 years but not 20.

Haven't really heard about salt-less units. Wasn't an option Aqua Systems offered. Softeners use salt but they don't salinate the water and the sodium ions added are like 150 mg in quart of water with 20 grains of hardness level incoming, which is REALLY HARD Indiana Limestone water levels. That's not much, and for 12 grain hardness, it's less than 100 mg per quart which is less than 5% of daily sodium allowance.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
From what I understand saltless can provide some protection for pipes and equipment but does not give you “soft” water.

Depending on what your goals are saltless might work for you. Water around here is hard enough that the softener industry sprang up in my back yard.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5168 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
We have pretty hard water around here. I bought my softener at Wal Mart 18 years ago for around $300, it's still going strong. Hardness is set at 20.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5055 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:
Aqua Systems manufactures their water softeners in my town, so I buy from the factory showroom.

First one lasted over 20 years and then puked the media into my brand new water heater. That was fun to fill and drain the water heater repeatedly to flush it out. Cost about $1000 with simple electric timer, brass valves, set at 6 or 12 day regeneration based on how many people in the house. No metering but at the time, getting a bigger unit with the simple timer was cheaper. I had to replace the timer once but that was a simple top end swap.

I bought a new one from them this year that is High Efficiency, using pressurized flow regeneration instead of gravity flow, with metering and various features and alarms. About $2K with 6 year warranty and free annual service check. They've had to come out a couple times for failed regeneration - plugged injector nozzle, and some optimizing of the sizing of the flow restrictors. It's a new product and there are some kinks they are working out. But it uses a LOT less salt.

But it's all plastic valves and I don't see it lasting much longer than the warranty. Maybe 10 years but not 20.

Haven't really heard about salt-less units. Wasn't an option Aqua Systems offered. Softeners use salt but they don't salinate the water and the sodium ions added are like 150 mg in quart of water with 20 grains of hardness level incoming, which is REALLY HARD Indiana Limestone water levels. That's not much, and for 12 grain hardness, it's less than 100 mg per quart which is less than 5% of daily sodium allowance.

That’s good to know. As someone who watches my salt intake I always wondered how much I was getting from the water I drink.

Posts: 3933 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
If the previous poster is correct that non-salt systems fail to remove excessive hardness, I'd go for a salt system myself, as I like softer water compared to harder water.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8716 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
Talked with my plumber, again. Relflex is correct it's not "soft" water. It is good for your plumbing and provides whole house protection. It's apparently unusual but my outside faucets are being fed soft water, the original owner didn't want his cars to spot. Plumber wants us to get the right for us unit, not pushing either system.

My wife liked the salt based because it provided more suds when showering, doing laundry etc. Not a game changer but something to consider. Salt Less uses less electricity and water but it would be hard to figure that in. Thanks for the responses.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3407 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
As far as “softening”, it’s a term for removing the minerals from the water. To do this, you replace them with a salt of one type or another. Potassium chloride, sodium chloride, etc. This is the only way that you can affordably remove the minerals from your water in your home.

A “salt-less” system isn’t removing minerals from the water.

The downside to water softening and the systems, is it is so gimmicky with all the false promises, bullshit “facts”, etc. Getting truthful info on water softeners is near impossible.

*** I should also note that I have extremely hard water, and went with a Novo softener and whole house filtration. Picked up the system at the local supply house on my friend’s account for $1800. Friend installed for $150. I run potassium as I don’t want the extra salt.
I couldn’t be happier. System works great. Wash a car in the sun and no spots, or if there are spots they are little tiny spots, which are potassium that wipes off.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4031 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post