SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    CPAP- How Long for Results?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CPAP- How Long for Results? Login/Join 
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted
I started CPAP therapy this week. It's only been two nights, and I haven't noticed any kind of results yet. Wondering how long it generally takes for tangible benefits. Received respective scores of 95 and 96, so I believe the apparatus is working correctly.

What's your experience?

Glock Radio (OK, Sig) - 1 by kpkina, on Flickr

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16378 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
It will take a few weeks, but you’ll find that your quality of sleep will greatly improve.

I used to wake up several times a night feeling like I was drowning or choking to death and that’s all gone now.

Is that the ResMed AirSense 11???

I had heard they were coming to replace the 10 model

Posts: 33853 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:

That is. Is it improved over the 10?

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16378 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
I noticed results almost immediately. Before I started I could fall asleep standing up.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5689 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It took me about two weeks to start getting good sleep since I had to get used to having it on (mine is a full face mask), but after that it's been amazing.

Please support the SF "Help Mike!" campaign to raise legal fees for a 72 year old Texas teacher and hobby rancher who had 6 forgotten 9mm rounds in his checked luggage leaving T&C and faced 12 years in prison and $50k legal fees at https://fundrazr.com/b2KZgc.

Posts: 2023 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Krazeehorse:
I noticed results almost immediately. Before I started I could fall asleep standing up.

I'm jealous! I also have Insomnia and Delayed Sleep Phase Syndrome.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Legal Beagle:
It took me about two weeks to start getting good sleep since I had to get used to having it on (mine is a full face mask), but after that it's been amazing.

Awesome. I surprisingly have no issues wearing the mask, although I was sure I'd hate it. Seemed to get used to it right away. Don't even feel the need to try the ramp feature.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

posted Hide Post
My machine is one of those on recall and I am not to use it. I do miss the much better sleep I got while using my BiPAP.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2892 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
TANSTAAFL
posted Hide Post
I felt better almost immediately. To the point I pretty much always use it, the difference was that big. I still don’t feel well-rested and am tired feeling some days when I wake. But before I was exhausted and struggled to stay awake all day every day, even fell asleep driving to work one morning and wrecked my car. It had progressively gotten worse over the 10 years or so before I was tested. Sleep test showed 98 events an hour, with 31 being central, the rest obstructive. The doc theorized the central apnea led to less activity, which led to wait gain and the obstructive apnea. If the fitbit is right I’m still not getting much deep sleep, which may explain the not feeling well-rested.

Posts: 715 | Location: Baltimore til I can get out of there. | Registered: June 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
quote:

That is. Is it improved over the 10?

I’m not sure, it’s the successor to the very popular ResMed AirSense 10

If the 10 was a Glock 19 Gen 4, the 11 is the Gen 5

ResMed makes good gear, I started with a Philips Resperonics machine and mask in February of this year and eventually switched to all ResMed and am glad I did.

Posts: 33853 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
Debbie Downer here. It’s been 18 months this time around and I can’t tell any difference. Some do, some don’t.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jbcummings:
Debbie Downer here. It’s been 18 months this time around and I can’t tell any difference. Some do, some don’t.

That's OK. For me it's a win-win situation. If it makes me feel better, great. If it doesn't after a reasonable time, I can chuck the whole thing and not have to make like Darth Vader every night.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jbcummings:

Have you found a mask that works for you?

I went through 4 until I found the perfect one for me; the ResMed AirFit F30. It’s a hybrid full face mask that uses elements of both a nasal pillow and a full face mask but doesn’t make you feel like a fighter pilot with an oxygen mask on:

Picture of lechiffre
posted Hide Post
I also use the airfit f30, much more comfortable than the full over the nose one I used before.

Posts: 625 | Registered: May 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redleg2/9
posted Hide Post
quote:
My machine is one of those on recall and I am not to use it.

I am curious as to why you were told not to use it.

I took my machine into the sleep clinic and the main tech made an adjustment for me then we talked about the recall. Philips recommends replacing the machines after five years, however the VA only replaces them when they fail.

I have registered my machine so the tech said Philips will eventually replace it with the new version and the VA will give me the appropriate filters, etc.

Regarding the recall: The main filters are affected in such a small number of machines - primarily those cleaned with ozone cleaners or approximately 1 in 1,000 units. He said to keep using the machine and enjoy the new one whenever I receive it.

RE: Adjusting to the CPAP: I have used one for 12+ years and started with the full mask for one week, partial mask for the second week and a great nasal pillow since. I found relief within the first week while adjusting to the mask. Since using the nasal pillow and pressure set at 11.0, my AHI has been less than 1.2 - and no colds or sinus problems! My nose does run sometimes in the morning, but at lease my sinuses stay clear at night.

“Leave the Artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot. . .”
– Napoleon Bonaparte

http://poundsstudio.com/

Posts: 2276 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Add me to the “the very first night” group.

I’ve used one every night since October of 2012. Changed my life literally over night.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11449 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The FDA calls it a class 1 recall.

Stuff can get into your lungs if you have a defective machine.

https://www.fda.gov/medical-de...s-including-cpap-and

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redleg2/9
posted Hide Post
I understand that a Class 1 recall was issued.

However, consider this:

1. At the site you referenced: "There have been more than 1200 complaints and more than 100 injuries reported for this issue."

2. I refer you to the VA site:
VA site

"At this time no serious adverse health events have been reported but Philips Respironics has received reports of headache, upper airway irritation, cough, chest pressure and sinus infection. Other potential risks identified by Philips Respironics from degraded foam exposure include: Skin, eye and respiratory irritation, headache, asthma, adverse effects to other organs (e.g. kidneys and liver) and carcinogenic effects."

"According to Philips Respironics, as the foam breaks down gasses are emitted for about eight-hours of use. They are undetectable after 24 hours of use."

The breakdown is primarily caused by the use of Ozone cleaners and the VA states the the risk of not using the CPAP is much greater than using the machines.

Here is the major factor for continuing to use the CAP until it is replaced: "There have been more than 1200 complaints and more than 100 injuries reported for this issue."

According to this release by CPAP.com: CPAP.COM
"...there were between 3 million and 4 million machines targeted in the recall. 80% of the machines treat sleep apnea and around two-thirds of the CPAP machines are in the United States."

Using the low number of 3,000,000 machines: The complaints represent 0.0004% of the low estimate and the reported injuries represent 0.00003%

The "VA has distributed nearly 600,000 of these devices to Veterans for home use. An additional 2,000 devices are used within VA in hospital or clinic settings."
This breaks down to 0.002% complaints for the 600,000 VA issued machines and 0.00017% of injuries reported for the 600,000 machines.

Purely conjecture on my part, but it seems that I face a greater health risk not using my CPAP then sticking it in the closet. Like the VA tech told me: use the machine and enjoy the new version when they send it to me.

Take care.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: redleg2/9,

“Leave the Artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot. . .”
– Napoleon Bonaparte

http://poundsstudio.com/

Posts: 2276 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
Took me about 3 days. After that it was LIFE CHANGING.

I can't sleep without it now. I'm sorry i was resistant to it for so long.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had amazing results the night of the sleep study. Had to wait 2 weeks for a machine of my own. Instant, overnight benefit. I've never slept better than with a BiPap (two pressure levels, one for intake, one for exhale - CPAP has continuous pressure). I terrified to sleep without it as I invariably wake up fighting for air.

Posts: 1315 | Location: Gainesville, VA | Registered: February 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post