SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    H.S. Grad gift thoughts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

H.S. Grad gift thoughts Login/Join 
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted
Going to an open house for a Great-niece. I really don't know much about her but I was quite fond of her mother (my niece) when she was growing up. I wouldn't know the Great-niece if I met her on the street.
Speaking of cash, what would be the proper amount?
She is attending college this fall.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4135 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Will she be living on campus at college? If so, google map all the nearby restaurants and grocery stores and get her gift cards from them.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16094 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
If you can swing it, $50 is good, $100 is really good.

Posts: 11389 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
If you can swing it, $50 is good, $100 is really good.

If it were me, I would give $50. I gave my niece, $100, but neighbors and friends usually get $50.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
I think $100 cash sounds good. You probably don't want to get gift cards to specific places especially if you don't know if they like that place or not.

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
We just gave our friends son a Amazon gift card.
We thought it would be a good gift so he could order what ever he needed for school when he gets to his dorm.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2571 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
Bosca leather products are very nice.

0:01

Posts: 4211 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
I just gave my college roommate's daughter $50.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Open up a Roth for her. Gift her a copy of JALLEN’S favorite tome; “The Intelligent Investor”. You could always contribute to her Roth as she graduates college, marrying, kids, etc.

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've given US savings bonds.
s.

Posts: 297 | Location: Ogden, UT | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
I normally give a $50 gift card to Bed Bath and Beyond because they'll need to outfit a dorm room.

Posts: 11167 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Mrs. Mike and I gave $100 to my best friend’s two sons when they graduated.

One used it to help buy an AR15.

They don’t know what the other kid spent it on

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11285 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
If giving cash or gift card, $50 sounds great, but understand they won’t remember who gave what after a very short time.

If you want something memorable, maybe try a little pocket knife she can carry in her purse or car pocket for emergencies that will be legal in most jurisdictions. If her name is engraved on it, she’ll be more likely to remember the giver and less likely to try to sell or pawn it (or for those on the wilder side, do anything stupid with it). A Spyderco Dragonfly 2 or similar will run you about $100, but there are cheaper options if you look around. You can personalize it with a lanyard in her school colors, too, if you wish.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2106 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ugly Bag of
Mostly Water
Picture of ridgerat
posted Hide Post
Your great-niece is remotely related to you, but not really involved in your life. You were included in this only to gain some extra cash.

It's up to you if you even give anything, but I would max it at $50. Remember, next year three or four more relatives will be needing some cash, and your name is on the mailing list.

Endowment Life Member, NRA • Member, Gun Owners of America & Member, Arizona Citizens Defense League

Posts: 2840 | Location: Marana, AZ | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tuckerrnr1
posted Hide Post
I received and have now given a nice Cross pen/pencil set. I still have mine and use them often.

Posts: 5739 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I suppose you wouldn’t be amused if I said, “A work ethic.” Otherwise, as others have suggested, a $50 limit is about right.

Posts: 13263 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
My traditional gift to closer friends and family is a proof or silver coin of the graduation year from USMINT.GOV. I always thought that would be a sentimental reminder type gift. You can add (more) cash as appropriate.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3299 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Money has no lasting remembrance. I would get her a nice brief case.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
Not a pocket knife.

Year V

Posts: 2631 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
at that age, cash is king. Whatever you can afford and feel comfortable with. For us grand kids get $500 and I can tell you they really appreciate it. Haven't needed to deal with niece or nephews but my though it would be $50 - $100. I get it that a lot of people feel a well though out gift will serve a lasting memory and if that's you, fine. Still, I think the "la borsa" as the Italians say goes a long way.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post