SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    fixing threads in a cylinder head
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

fixing threads in a cylinder head Login/Join 
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
I'm gonna second Dick and say a quality cork gasket. I fought that battle on my 67 GTO.

Posts: 5821 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
Look, this isn't a high stress situation. Most folks just glue the cover down with more silicon. They're not the only leaky place on a CJ. Its how you find your way back out of where you got yourself, just follow your own oil trail. Both diffs will still drip. We used to refer to the oil trail as "bread crumbs". You can't tighten the stupid screws down enough to stop the leaks, and they added the stress spreader under those things to try to keep them from leaking. Maybe yours got lost?

Have you tried a good cork gasket? Its what they designed the mess to make it cheaper, not more effective. The classic fix was to find an old 360 and swap it in. They used a shorter 4 cyl long valve cover screwed down with actual bolts. Those didn't leak...much.

The bottom line is that you're trying to fix something that can't be fixed permanently. Try running it without oil, that'll end the leak problem.

You appear to have had your behavior modified by British motorcycles, or you've got the proper mindset to own one.

Posts: 7638 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbslinger:
or you've got the proper mindset to own one.
Nope, Jap motorcycles, but it does help to have both feet on the ground going in. It hurts less that way.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18394 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
quote:
Originally posted by pbslinger:
or you've got the proper mindset to own one.
Nope, Jap motorcycles, but it does help to have both feet on the ground going in. It hurts less that way.

Kamikazee humor? Was that your last joke?

Posts: 7638 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by XLT:
Has anybody mentioned helicoil yet? Big Grin

Yes! and Timesert! Razz

Posts: 24341 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10-8
Picture of Apphunter
posted Hide Post
The order for the stuff from mcmasters carr should be arriving soon. Then I have to make time to do the work. Hopefully this weekend.

Posts: 919 | Registered: November 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post