SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Recommendations for a car wax?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommendations for a car wax? Login/Join 
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post

This was a few weeks back. Meguiars liquid cleaner wax followed by their Gold Class Carnauba, all done by hand. Smile

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I had TW Hybrid solutions on my former motorcycle and also on my current motorcycle. My motorcycle is a garage queen and only gets out about once a week. I'm picky about it and it's washed immediately after riding, gets topped off once a month with their wet wax, and use their detailer as needed in between washes.

I was impressed enough that I decided to apply it to my truck about 6 weeks ago. Strip wash (pH 11 or 12), iron remover, clay bar, strip wash again, spot correction of a few spots with Sonax cutmax with microfiber cutting pad, 1-step paint correction using Sonax EX 04-06 with white foam polishing pad, IPA wipe, a layer of TW Hybrid Solutions ceramic sealant, and 24 hours later a 2nd layer of TW Hybrid Solutions ceramic sealant. Lots of compliments that the truck's paint looks like glass. To me the cool thing was we had 2.5 weeks straight of rain and it got very dirty driving in the rain, but it still had amazing beading despite being so dirty. Finally got to wash it Friday and the dirt just rolled off it.

Only disappointment I've had with it was this weekend on my motorcycle. After my ride, I found 20 hard clear drips on it and for the life of me can't figure out where they came from or what they are. The drops are harder than a whore's heart and none of the following worked to budge the drips:
  • bug and tar remover. Soaked it for 2 minutes as directed.
  • Super clean.
  • Goo B Gone gel and let is soak a couple minutes
  • Rust-Oleum Wax and Tar Remover
  • Clay bar with clay lube
  • Sonax EX 04-06 with both white and orange foam polishing pad
  • Sonax cutmax with microfiber cutting pad

Perhaps I'm asking too much of a spray sealant, but I'm disappointed that the February applied TW Hybrid Solutions ceramic sealant (bought it, paint corrected it, and coated it before even riding it) let something bond so firmly that I had resort to wet sanding. It laughed at 2500 grit, 2000 grit slowly removed it, but I ended up using 1500 grit. Then I had follow-up with 2500 grit, compounding, polishing, and reapply the TW Hybrid Solutions ceramic sealant.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23259 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    I have a very particular
    set of skills
    posted Hide Post
    ^^ Wow, that sounds VERY involved, quite a bit more than your average 'shady tree' car enthusiast. I was semi-patting myself on the back for the no-wax carwash with Speed Clay 2.

And yeah, once you put on a couple coats of the TW ceramic, whatever is under it is going to be a bit of work to remove. There's a reason why it has such high durability ratings.

I'm still trying to find time to research the graphene and see if it offers more than the Seal & Shine.

ETA: Here's a quick vid on TW S&S vs. Graphene vs. Ceramic. To me, the jury is still out on graphene. It's not exactly cheap, and based on some of what I'm seeing, it seems to require more frequent applications. I'd like to keep waxing 2X a year (spring & fall).

Regardless tho, we're definitely enjoying vastly more convenient and durable products these days.

Link to original vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3msgfOSG-gs

$.02 worth,
    Boss

A real life Sisyphus...
    "It's not the critic who counts..." TR
    Exodus 23.2: Do not follow the crowd in doing wrong...
    Despite some people's claims to the contrary, 5 lbs. is actually different than 12 lbs.
    It's never simple/easy.

Posts: 4991 | Location: In the arena... | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Banned
    posted Hide Post
    There are so many to choose from so you are going to get a large variety of wax brands and opinions.

As for being tough and durable: Collinite Brands. They are always mentioned in these posts. In terms of Wet-look, depth, brilliance and gloss...they do not compare to Souveran or Sonax. The good thing it will last longer.

As for Gloss, wet-look, depth and brilliance: You can't go wrong with Pinnacle Souveran Paste wax, Sonax, any of Drew's SON1C Wax. There are many others, however, there are too much to choose from. The waxes I have mentioned are all 1st hand experience usage.

I like Poorboy's Red and Blue and they are excellent waxes for the price.

If it were me, any of the high end Paste wax would be the choice for your Vette. This is all pricing below $100. If you are looking to spend a little more then there are quite a few too!! To me treat your Vette to some of the best. The Collinites can be good, however, based on 1st hand experience Souveran, SON1C and Sonax are better. Collinite waxes tend to be finicky and difficult to remove if not properly put on (ie...thick).

This stuff will make your head spin. I would just find a wax that you pick and go with it. Souveran, SON1C, Sonax Paste waxes DO NOT ghost or haze once put on which is a good thing.

It all boils down to your choice.

Good luck in your choice.

Posts: 105 | Registered: March 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    always with a hat or sunscreen
    Picture of bald1
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Billythekids:

As for Gloss, wet-look, depth and brilliance: You can't go wrong with Pinnacle Souveran Paste wax

Or another old school caranuba paste wax, P21S aka S100.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
    USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16219 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    I've gotten away from carnuba completely, but if insisted, Collinite wax is very hard to beat.

I prefer either rejex or the meguiars ultimate polymers instead of carnuba.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of bigdeal
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by jimmy123x:
    I've gotten away from carnuba completely, but if insisted, Collinite wax is very hard to beat.

Always remember, you can go with polymer sealants and once cured, overlay them with a coat of carnuba for the best of both worlds. I've done it many times on cars I want to add a final 'pop' to.

-----------------------------
    Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    I have a very particular
    set of skills
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by bigdeal:
    quote:
    Originally posted by jimmy123x:

Always remember, you can go with polymer sealants and once cured, overlay them with a coat of carnuba for the best of both worlds. I've done it many times on cars I want to add a final 'pop' to.

This is my plan. 2 layers TW Ceramic then 1 layer of TW Seal&Shine which has carnauba. We'll see how it works...I'm quite certain it'll work just fine until I do my re-waxing in the fall.

$.02 worth,
    Boss

A real life Sisyphus...
    "It's not the critic who counts..." TR
    Exodus 23.2: Do not follow the crowd in doing wrong...
    Despite some people's claims to the contrary, 5 lbs. is actually different than 12 lbs.
    It's never simple/easy.

Posts: 4991 | Location: In the arena... | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post