SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My Grandson turned his life around...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Grandson turned his life around... Login/Join 
Picture of cparktd
posted
My Granny once told me "Sometimes you have to toot your own horn!"
Well I'm here to toot a horn for a Grandson if thats OK.

Bailey, age 20. Parents divorced. Started down the wrong path in High School... skipping class, wrecked a couple trucks including a very nice one of his Dad's, lost his Drivers License, DUI, and was flunking out of school... Kind of a like father like son deal it was to be honest.

But I guess he realized he was headed the wrong direction at some point. He completed school, quit drinking, regained his drivers license and took a construction job and has saved 5 or 6 grand towards buying his own truck. He went all in, working every day after school and Saturdays for almost two years, but received no benefits at all and no withholding... Basically it seems he was treated like an undocumented workers on the crew. But, He has just changed jobs and works for a company that does tower work. He travels over a few state area but is home every weekend. I don't know if he will learn enough via OJT or like it in the long run... we will see. He learned on his former job that he apparently has zero fear of heights and has climbed at least to 400 feet so far last I talked to him.

Hoping the best for him from a proud PaPa.
Thanks for hearing me out!
I'll include some photos...

He loves to fish and hunt, mostly fish.

First deer... Cant remember his age.

Senior picture.

Geared up! Safety FIRST!

He took this of his trainer... at 300 feet.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4131 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Triggers don't
pull themselves
Picture of mdblanton
posted Hide Post
Uplifting story. Thanks for sharing it.

Michael

Posts: 1104 | Location: Petal, MS | Registered: January 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mdblanton:
Uplifting

hehehe

Posts: 10202 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great story. Thanks much for sharing.

Silent

Posts: 1030 | Registered: February 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
That's a great feeling, isn't it?

I have a similar story, but it was the Marine Corps that snatched a knot in my grandson's skivvies.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15274 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
I’m so glad for you, and him. Continuing to hope for the best for you- and him.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5353 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the story. It makes me feel a bit better after a rough week.

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
Great story. The part about the first company angers me ("undocumented worker"), but it did help him to get started. It seems tower work suits him. Not many people can or are willing to do it. He'll probably always need to travel if he keeps that up, but that's not a bad thing either.

Don't knock OJT. To a motivated learner, being self-taught (which OJT is, really) is a powerful way to learn. The only downside is you end up with gaps in your knowledge - you don't know what you don't know. Hopefully he has a good mentor, that will help. And if there are any certifications he can work toward (I don't know that industry, but I would think there would be something), that will help his career too.

Let him know your imaginary friends are rooting for him!

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3302 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Up, Up, and Away... Cool

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8956 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
You can lead a horse to water...

I was 19 when I realized that my actions were not going to lead me to success in the future. While not a DUI or a license suspension a string of traffic tickets by the time I was 18 and a lot of skipping high school classes together without a diploma spelled disaster ahead.

It wasn’t easy, working full time and attending night school for my HS diploma were two steps forward.

All and all I accomplished much more than I ever expected, sometimes it just takes a little longer for some of us to wake up.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8139 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear he’s on the right path!

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4031 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
Good for him. And you. I can tell you’re proud of what’s he’s done. So good to hear stories like this.

Posts: 11149 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Like others have said. That is great to hear for him. There are still great opportunities for those with some ambition and drive to do for themselves, what no one can do for them.

I hope he has a great life and inspires others. Thanks for posting. I feel a bit inspired this morning by reading this.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19245 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good to hear! Fine looking young man and I wish him all the best.

I have a grandson, 29 years old and going on 15 or so, very intelligent with considerable artistic talent. Unfortunately, since he was 14 he has completely rejected every opportunity, refuses to accept any responsibility. Total doper (any drug, any time) and a stone cold thief. After 3 adult felony convictions he doesn't seem to understand that conditions of probation or terms of parole are more than just a few suggestions!

Last I heard was when he found out that it was not a very good idea to pay your bail bondsman with counterfeit $20 bills. Needless to say, it is now impossible for him to get out of jail pending the new charges, and I doubt that his parole officer will provide a good report at his next sentencing.

9 grandchildren, 5 great-grandchildren (#6 due any day now). I love them all, but they have to make their own choices and pay their own dues.

Retired holster maker.
Retired police chief.
Formerly Sergeant, US Army Airborne Infantry, Pathfinders

Posts: 1099 | Location: Colorado | Registered: March 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing all the nice replies, did me good to tell the story... never know about tomorrow but today is looking up.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4131 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dang, what a great kid!

Posts: 7568 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fantastic. You have a right to be proud.

Posts: 97 | Location: Alabama  | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Great story. Good on him.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6425 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post