SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Prohibition ended 85 years ago today
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Prohibition ended 85 years ago today Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
IMO drug laws ought to be ended too. They don’t work – they can’t even keep drugs out of prisons. But they support a vast criminal underclass and lead to corruption of the police and judiciary.

“For more than 13 years, the manufacture, sale and transportation of alcohol was illegal in the United States until December 5, 1933. Known as Repeal Day, Wednesday marks its 85th anniversary.

Rooted in the Temperance Movement of the 1800s, Prohibition, by its end, was not popular and people protested it with signs, such as ‘We Want Beer,’ and ‘I’m no camel I want beer.’

Prohibition, however, was a boon for bootleggers and the mob. In the 1920s, infamous Chicago gangster Al Capone was reportedly raking in an estimated $100 million a year - around $1.3 billion in today's money - in the illicit trade and from other illegal activities…”

https://dailym.ai/2E0o41q

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8942 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Here in Michigan, Recreational Marijuana was legalized this last month.

We will see how this works out.

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Annual alcohol related deaths in the US are about 110,000. DUI related deaths in 2016 (included in the annual numnber) were slighly over 10,000. Opioid and illegal drug deaths are now reaching 72,000 annually.

https://www.csdp.org/publicservice/causes.htm

https://www.cdc.gov/motorvehic...d-drv_factsheet.html

https://www.drugabuse.gov/rela...overdose-death-rates

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
Thank God!

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In addition to rise of Capone and his kind, Alcohol Prohibition in 1920 was a disaster. Men working in Distilleries, Breweries, Taverns and in the transportation of Alcohol lost jobs. Taxes on the manufacture of booze were no longer collected by the Feds.

And, some 10,000 people died from tainted booze (Bathtub Gin).

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Much of the organized crime that it spawned and enriched still exist in some form.
Nobody is talking about making opioids legal, just pot and it's derivatives.
Maybe then we can do more about treating real drug addicts (opioids) and limiting new ones by cracking down on a few unethical legal sources that use the restricted market to enrich themselves.
People that are low level consumers now interact with criminals higher up the MJ food chain and that will mostly stop. Law enforcement can then concentrate their efforts on the real criminal element dealing in harder drugs.
Remember, Prohibition was a great thing for the Mafia (and a lot of politicians) during those ten years. Ending it was not a cause for celebration for them.

Posts: 9501 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
Well, banning alcohol didn't work.

Hey, lets ban pot!

It'll work this time, for sure! Hurrrrrrrr!

'Tards.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have to remember that most of the myths about the prohibition era have been propagated by notoriously liberal and amoral Hollywood and other "artsey" sources.

The fact is that Prohibition was actually successful by every rational and quantifiable measurement.
Here is an extract from the article here:
https://www.nytimes.com/1989/1...n-was-a-success.html

There are many more sites that also cite the real statistics of the effects of Prohibition, rather than simply declaring it a "failure" because people want to drink. Wink

"
What everyone ''knows'' about Prohibition is that it was a failure. It did not eliminate drinking; it did create a black market. That in turn spawned criminal syndicates and random violence. Corruption and widespread disrespect for law were incubated and, most tellingly, Prohibition was repealed only 14 years after it was enshrined in the Constitution.

The lesson drawn by commentators is that it is fruitless to allow moralists to use criminal law to control intoxicating substances. Many now say it is equally unwise to rely on the law to solve the nation's drug problem.

But the conventional view of Prohibition is not supported by the facts.

First, the regime created in 1919 by the 18th Amendment and the Volstead Act, which charged the Treasury Department with enforcement of the new restrictions, was far from all-embracing. The amendment prohibited the commercial manufacture and distribution of alcoholic beverages; it did not prohibit use, nor production for one's own consumption. Moreover, the provisions did not take effect until a year after passage -plenty of time for people to stockpile supplies.

Second, alcohol consumption declined dramatically during Prohibition. Cirrhosis death rates for men were 29.5 per 100,000 in 1911 and 10.7 in 1929. Admissions to state mental hospitals for alcoholic psychosis declined from 10.1 per 100,000 in 1919 to 4.7 in 1928.

Arrests for public drunkennness and disorderly conduct declined 50 percent between 1916 and 1922. For the population as a whole, the best estimates are that consumption of alcohol declined by 30 percent to 50 percent.

Third, violent crime did not increase dramatically during Prohibition. Homicide rates rose dramatically from 1900 to 1910 but remained roughly constant during Prohibition's 14 year rule. Organized crime may have become more visible and lurid during Prohibition, but it existed before and after.

Fourth, following the repeal of Prohibition, alcohol consumption increased. Today, alcohol is estimated to be the cause of more than 23,000 motor vehicle deaths and is implicated in more than half of the nation's 20,000 homicides.
"

more at the link

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
What's that you say? Freedom is dangerous? Well, no shit, but I'll take the danger over having a nanny.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
We have to remember that most of the myths about the prohibition era have been propagated by notoriously liberal and amoral Hollywood and other "artsey" sources.

The fact is that Prohibition was actually successful by every rational and quantifiable measurement.

So using the same logic, we should ban the production and ownership of some other now legal products.
Lets start with firearms.
How'd that go?

Posts: 9501 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airsoft guy:
What's that you say? Freedom is dangerous? Well, no shit, but I'll take the danger over having a nanny.

Go to gulag!

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
IMO drug laws ought to be ended too. They don’t work – they can’t even keep drugs out of prisons. But they support a vast criminal underclass and lead to corruption of the police and judiciary.

“For more than 13 years, the manufacture, sale and transportation of alcohol was illegal in the United States until December 5, 1933. Known as Repeal Day, Wednesday marks its 85th anniversary.

Rooted in the Temperance Movement of the 1800s, Prohibition, by its end, was not popular and people protested it with signs, such as ‘We Want Beer,’ and ‘I’m no camel I want beer.’

Prohibition, however, was a boon for bootleggers and the mob. In the 1920s, infamous Chicago gangster Al Capone was reportedly raking in an estimated $100 million a year - around $1.3 billion in today's money - in the illicit trade and from other illegal activities…”

https://dailym.ai/2E0o41q

I am with you, but I don't see widespread legalization any time soon. Legalizing weed will become more common, but not much else.

In the meantime, I propose a toast to the end of prohibition. Here's mud in your eye!

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

B.S.

No mention of the tens of thousands men in the Booze industry out of work when Prohibition became law in that article. No mention of tax revenue to federal government lost, too.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
No mention of the tens of thousands men in the Booze industry out of work when Prohibition became law in that article. No mention of tax revenue to federal government lost, too.

US tax revenue from alcohol sales:

https://www.statista.com/stati...-forecast-in-the-us/

Annual US tax revenue:

https://www.thebalance.com/cur...-tax-revenue-3305762

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
Trivia question: which US State's vote ended prohibition?

I was reading about Prohibition recently, and learned a few things I had not read before. I had never heard about wine bricks, nor did I know physicians could write prescriptions for alcohol.

The wine bricks had a note on or in the box:

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
quote:
:

I'll drink to that!

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:

I had never heard about wine bricks, nor did I know physicians could write prescriptions for alcohol.

The wine bricks had a note on or in the box:

Yes!

We saw a Prohibition exhibit at the National Constitution center in Philly a couple years ago and they had a couple of these and these hilarious "warnings". Doctors would regularly prescribe alcohol for various "maladies" and I'm sure it was a big racket!

Posts: 33795 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
We saw a Prohibition exhibit at the National Constitution center in Philly a couple years ago and they had a couple of these and these hilarious "warnings". Doctors would regularly prescribe alcohol for various "maladies" and I'm sure it was a big racket!

A big racket in Philly? Really...say it wasn't so. I'm guessing a lot of people were sick. Big Grin

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
next up -- marijuana

free up those resources to combat more dangerous criminal enterprises

----------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post