SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    SASS "Wild Bunch"Gear
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SASS "Wild Bunch"Gear Login/Join 
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted
Cowboy Action Shooting (CAS) has a "Side match" that is offered as a separate match at most larger matches or even as a separate matches.

"Wild Bunch" uses the following: a 1911 in .45 ACP. A Pistol Caliber Rifle in .40 Caliber or larger, and a "Pump Shotgun". The Shotgun can be either a Winchester M1987 or a Winchester Model 12.

I've avoided this competition for years because the "official" rules state that you must have a rifle that is .40 caliber or larger. I never wanted to load a caliber in addition to .45 ACP. That was until I found that one of my favorite gunsmiths, Cody Conager. Cody will modify a .45 Colt rifle to enable it to shoot .45 ACP. So I bought one.

I'll be shooting it with my 1911 with "Day of the Dead" grips, and a Chrome plated 1897 12 gauge.

I'll be shooting these at the Georgia State Wild Bunch match on Thursday, May 18, in Conyers, GA. Main Match will be Friday and Saturday.

Come on out and watch and visit the vendors. Don't cost nuthin'.

Link to information about the match. http://www.srscowboy.com/events.html

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Cool guns. I could never do SASS, though.

All that wool. I have a fear of chafing.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 109046 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Cool guns. I could never do SASS, though.

All that wool. I have a fear of chafing.

Nah, I don't usually wear wool. ESPECIALLY in the summer. Nylon "cop pants", "wicking" shirt, Straw hat. Not too bad. Come out out! I'd love to meet you.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Those are some very nice guns. I really like the 1873. Been wanting one with half octagon barrel in .357 for a while now. Really love it if could get in 44mag, but not built for it.

I think the Wild Bunch shoot would be fun to do. Maybe one day when can make the time.

Enjoy that rifle.

It's all about clean living. Just do the right thing, and karma will help with the rest.

Posts: 1130 | Location: The Republic of Texas | Registered: April 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What are the rules on allowable pistol modifications? I see a few things on your 1911 I wouldn't expect on a SASS style pistol.

Posts: 2532 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigwagon:
What are the rules on allowable pistol modifications? I see a few things on your 1911 I wouldn't expect on a SASS style pistol.

Bigwagon,
There is a "Traditional" class that must be shot one handed, and a "Modern" class that may be shot two handed. My Ruger is clearly a "modern" gun due to the sites and front strap checkering.

Link to rules here: http://www.sassnet.com/wildbunch/wbRules.php

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer

Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
NICE HAT - and even nicer shotgun! Love the look of those older Winchesters.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5311 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
As always, so cool!

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6733 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Rolan, you show the kids today what "cool" really is.
Is your wife a shooter also??

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrmn50:
Rolan, you show the kids today what "cool" really is.
Is your wife a shooter also??

Yes; however, she doesn't shoot semi-autos. She thinks that they are a passing fad.

Here she is at out "Monty Python meets Bonanza" match.

http://s280.photobucket.com/us...20Stage%203.mp4.html

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer