SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Generator rating help – Experts step inside.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Generator rating help – Experts step inside. Login/Join 
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted
I friend of mine has this generator driven by a three cylinder Perkins Diesel engine.

He sent the ID info to me. Generator is made in Italy.

If my high school electronics is still with me.

Watts (Watts = Voltage times Amps)
Tag states 16.2 KVA which I suppose equates to 16,200 Amps

So 16,200 divided by 110 = 145.454 or 14.5 KW

Or is it the bottom numbers of 133 volts at 71.9 Amps which would be Volts times Amps = Watts.

133 times 71.9 equals 9562.7 watts or 9.5 KW

Am I even close?

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
With a power factor of .8 = 12,960 Watts.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 4012 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Surge beat me.

KVA * PF [cos(φ)] = watts.

Watts/voltage = Amps.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21108 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
nope but almost

16.2 kVA is 16,200 VA or 16,200 Watts

its also a 3-phase generator

Posts: 53792 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post

PowerSurge and Skins2881 got it.

Thanks

https://www.adeltd.co.uk/info/what-is-kva.php

Don't know why I could not find this earlier.

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Looks like 40 amps at 230 volts.

Thats likely the most useful numbers on the plate.

Pretty cool machine.

My power just went out for 2 hours. We drove around the neighborhood to see who had whole house generators. I have portable generators but I wasn't about to set them up for a short term outage.

Posts: 6705 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
3 phase is probably pretty useless to most, FWIW>

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11165 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone.

My friend is real happy to find he has almost a 13KW generator.

I have been helping him for several weeks on getting it started.

He is getting ready to have his old house torn down and a new one built in Oregon. His current house has a few outlets that are dedicated to the generator feed. He will be looking into getting an automatic switch over to whole house when he starts the generator if line power goes out. No it currently is not self starting.

Thanks again
Roy

posted Hide Post
Was the generator supplying 230 volt outlets
At his other house?

The 133 volt is pretty high for US appliances.
and could shorten the life of American equipment plugged in to it

I believe
European equipment configuration is 230 volt and the 133 is not used.

RC

Posts: 1950 | Location: Indiana | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
None of those voltages are used in US.

120/208/240/277/480 are the most commonly used. With residential being 120/240, sometimes 120/208 for condos/apartments.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21108 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
You can use that in the US. In Europe they use 50hz. That’s a 60hz generator.

———————————————

Posts: 4012 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:

You can certainly use it, just a very odd name plate. You're TV might not work depending on what over what over voltage protection it has built into it and you're going to blow light bulbs more often.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:

You can certainly use it, just a very odd name plate. You're TV might not work depending on what over what over voltage protection it has built into it and you're going to blow light bulbs more often.

Not on 130 volts. That’s only an 8 percent increase over 120. Not to mention it’s better for anything that has an electric motor to have a slight over-voltage than under-voltage. Many, many houses in the US have 130 volts line voltage (Or close to it) that are closer to the power company’s transformer. My house even reads 126.2 to neutral and ground.

———————————————

Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
Picture of thomjb
posted Hide Post
My old eyes have a hard time reading the data plate but isn't Italy 50 cycle vs. 60 in USA?

Thom

"Tulta munille!"
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
SAF Life Member

Posts: 2835 | Location: SouthWest IN | Registered: August 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The nameplate says 133 volts

The voltage from that generator may run even higher lightly loaded.

Just be advised this is higher than a recommended voltage for equipment built to run in the USA

Any utility company I have delt with would be concerned at 133 volts.

RC

Posts: 1950 | Location: Indiana | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thomjb:
My old eyes have a hard time reading the data plate but isn't Italy 50 cycle vs. 60 in USA?

Italy does use 50 cycle, but it's a 60 cycle generator.

You can use it here. Appears 16 kw. 240 volts is fine to use it as a 240 volt generator gives you 40 amps. I don't know anyone that would wire a house with a 16 kw 125 volt generator (133 volts on this generator which you could adjust the volts by slowing the engine down a touch from 1800 to say 1775 rpms via a governor adjustment) because any larger load that you'd normally use a 16 kw generator (hot water heater, a/c etc) will be 240 volts.

Posts: 21408 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
How would one connect three phase output power to a single phase home?

https://www.generatorsource.co...ase_Conversions.aspx

Sounds like a job for Skins2881 and PowerSurge. Which one is Batman? Which one is Robin? The world waits with breathless anticipation.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5200 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
No clue here, unless the manufacturer provided instructions on how to rewire it.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
The voltage has to be measured from all 3 legs to neutral with the generator running to see which 2 legs he needs to use. If he has already used the generator before, he probably already knows.

———————————————

posted Hide Post
Also keep in mind that Perkins is a great diesel, however they were acquired by someone else many years ago and parts, while they can be found are hard to find. There's a place in Fort Lauderdale,FL that is a dealer and has a lot and knows where to get parts for them. I had a 6T354 Perkins diesel in a boat I owned, way back when.

Posts: 21408 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post