SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Appliance Folks - Upright Freezers?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Appliance Folks - Upright Freezers? Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
Wife asked a question that has me wondering if such a thing exists, and if not, why not?

Her idea of the perfect freezer is an upright model with say, 3 or 4 smaller doors/compartments so that you can store your frozen goods by category and only open that part of the freezer that has what you want. Idea is that it's easier than bending over pawing through a chest freezer looking for that package of pork chops and I'd think it would save some operating costs.

Be there such a critter?

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
Never seen one, but it appears they exist. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Fr...FFFU14F2QW/205555907

I like that I have my chest freezer in the laundry room. If I had an upright version, I would have no place for it.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8657 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
I have a spare fridge and freezer in the utility room. You can get them used very cheap. I could not live without them! I like to vacuum-pack quality meat in bulk quantities, and I love the fridge, packed with beverages, for entertaining. I also use the spare fridge for dry-aging quality meats.

Almost forgot. Every Sept I buy cases of over-ripe organic Roma tomatoes very cheap, and make huge batches of tomato sauce and spaghetti sauce, and pack the freezer.

Posts: 3248 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:
Never seen one, but it appears they exist. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Fr...FFFU14F2QW/205555907

I like that I have my chest freezer in the laundry room. If I had an upright version, I would have no place for it.

Not quite what I had in mind. That's just a basic upright freezer with shelves. Allows for sorting contents, but you open that big ol' door and all the cold air (being denser/heavier) "spills" out the bottom.

Which is why I've always gone with chest freezers, more efficient.

At least, that's what I've always been told.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
if you have money to burn
http://www.norlake.com/nor-lak...or-reach-in-freezers

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
We bought a small Kenmore upright freezer several years ago. I specifically didn't want a chest freezer. I've had one in the past, and food gets "lost" at the bottom. We bought a 5.8 cu ft upright freezer from Sears. It measures ~ 21" X 23" X 57" tall. I love it and would never go back to a chest freezer! I only open it once every 2 - 3 weeks... I don't think the cold air escaping is a concern.

http://www.sears.com/kenmore-5...ockNo=6&blockType=G6

After looking at the picture, I realized we definitely need more BACON!

The bottom 2 shelves is some the elk meat I brought home this year (split it with 2 other guys).

Posts: 5734 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Used to have a 25cf fridge only in the house and 22cf upright Kenmore freezer in the garage. Single door with multiple shelves.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by side_shot:
if you have money to burn
http://www.norlake.com/nor-lak...or-reach-in-freezers

THERE ya go, exactly what I was looking for.

Apparently, if ya hafta ask, you can't afford it. Frown

posted Hide Post
Perfect! First thing is drill a hole in the side for the hose on the kegerator. Other side top, chill my mugs.

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1118 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54502 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
^^^Yowza!

Lessee here...a beef critter, coupla hogs, 6 dozen chickens, coupla lambs, a deer critter or three and ummm.....BACON!

Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
^^^Yowza!

Lessee here...a beef critter, coupla hogs, 6 dozen chickens, coupla lambs, a deer critter or three and ummm.....BACON!

And a body or two.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
^^^Yowza!

And a body or two.

Just thinking outside the box. Big Grin

Does kinda lend a new meaning to "John Doe" tho. Eek

Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
We have an upright Kenmore, been trouble free for 7-8 years.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3636 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you have a, say, 25cu ft freezer that's 80% full, you're really not transferring much heat if you open the door & cycle 100% of the air to 70*.

I'm not going to bother testing it, but I'd say if you unplugged the freezer, opened the door, used a fan to cycle air for 30 sec, then closed the door, I doubt you'd have much perceptible temp rise an hour later (with the freezer still off). Maybe 0.5*F, probably less.

In college, we had an HVAC lab on the top floor (walk in freezer that also could apply heat). One hypothesis we tested was to pack cases of beer up & try to calculate how long they would take to get cold. Even though we had remote monitoring, we usually ended the test early once we got thirsty.

I have a small upright freezer, I much prefer it to a chest type for organizing & retrieving food.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I have a 12 chest (> 20 years old) and a 25 upright (new this year).

Though it has worked like a charm for all these years, I really dislike the chest freezer for some of the previously mentioned reasons.

The upright is great for organizing and being able to see what you've got in there. The one thing that I don't like about it though is that there are only four shelves in and it is difficult to stack things very high on the shelves without them sliding off so you get a lot of wasted space. It would be really nice if someone would invent one with shelves that had some kind of front on them to keep that from happening. Otherwise I'm happy with it.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
They have baskets for some units to replace the shelves.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Growing up we had a chest and a upright, the chest was for long term storage, only got opened to add bulk or to remove food to place in the upright for short term storage. We kept the chest as full as possible and the upright was kept full by putting plastic jugs of water in any available space so if we had a power outage the food in both would keep for a longer period of time (I lived in south Alabama 30 miles from the gulf and this was the era of hurricane Camille, frequent power outages).

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
Used to have a 25cf fridge only in the house and 22cf upright Kenmore freezer in the garage. Single door with multiple shelves.

Does anyone living in the south / southwest (e.g., Texas) where you can have extended periods of +100 degree days in the summer have a refrigerator freezer in the garage?

Our 18 year old Amana in the kitchen bit the dust this week and we have another fridge on order for the kitchen.

We'd like to put a backup /extra one in the garage (my wife would). We have space for a fridge or deep freeze in the laundry room but my wife really wants something in the garage. She practically lives in the yard during the warmer and summer months gardening and stuff so I know she'll want to have lots of cold Gatorade and ice available.

Only the two of us live in the house so I expect it will be a smaller sized unit. I'm okay with having one in the garage as long as I don't have constant problems with it working well.

So is a fridge in the garage a bad idea? Thanks!

Posts: 3953 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimineer:
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:

Does anyone living in the south / southwest (e.g., Texas) where you can have extended periods of +100 degree days in the summer have a refrigerator freezer in the garage?

Our 18 year old Amana in the kitchen bit the dust this week and we have another fridge on order for the kitchen.

We'd like to put a backup /extra one in the garage (my wife would). We have space for a fridge or deep freeze in the laundry room but my wife really wants something in the garage. She practically lives in the yard during the warmer and summer months gardening and stuff so I know she'll want to have lots of cold Gatorade and ice available.

Only the two of us live in the house so I expect it will be a smaller sized unit. I'm okay with having one in the garage as long as I don't have constant problems with it working well.

So is a fridge in the garage a bad idea? Thanks!

My upright freezer lives in the garage. It's an old Crosley... works great. I get into it a couple of times a week.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10474 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post