SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Glenlivet Enigma?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glenlivet Enigma? Login/Join 
Team Apathy
posted
Anybody sampled this scotch? Is it worth picking up for a fella that has a single scotch maybe once every 6-8 weeks?

A local gas station has a relatively good selection of alcohol including this one. They also have the Nadurra but the black bottle of the Enigma caught my eye.

Posts: 6380 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Haven't tried it. But if this is accurate it may be an acquired taste and not for the ocassional imbiber.

https://thewhiskeywench.com/20...he-glenlivet-enigma/

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16253 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I think the Glenlivet 15yr or 18yr would be a better choice for a special bottle depending on your budget. It’s hard to go wrong with a Macallan 12 year as well.

Posts: 17903 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have not tried it. You mentioned the Nadurra and it is very very good, several steps above the regular 12 year old Glenlivet. It's was well received in my group for a wed. night get together.

Posts: 1198 | Location: Moved to N.W. MT. | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Enigma was a fun one if you did the online interactive VR component with it because you didn't know the recipe. I did it with the whiskey club with about 20 people and it was just fun seeing what everybody thought it was.

Posts: 547 | Location: Field of Dreams | Registered: September 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
Glen is one of our favorites, go for it.....

Posts: 3852 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like Glenlivet.

I drank Johnny Walker Blk for 40 yrs until one day it started tasting like kerosene. Switched to single malt - Glenlivet or McCallan. It took a little getting used to but I drink so infrequently these days that it really doesnt matter.

Posts: 585 | Registered: September 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Glenlivet is a very mild, not so peaty whisky. It is a good whisky, but in a style that many will like. It is not an in-your-face Scotch like Lagavulin.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I have had it but it didn't make a lasting impression, not that it was bad but just not memorable.
I like peaty Scotches and the Lagavulin 16 is my favorite.

Posts: 22941 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
Generally I don't prefer the smoky or peaty variety as much as I like the milder taste of even the Glenlivet 12...

I've had a drink or two of the Glenlivet 21 and it was very nice, but not really in my budget.

The Nadurra was about $30 cheaper than the Enigma... but perhaps I should just wait until I can pick up the an 18 or 21 Glenlivet...

Posts: 6380 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Started out on Glenlivet. I have Lagavulin and keep that as my special occasion bottle. My main one is Highland Park 12. A wonderful balanced between smooth and peat. Its a wonderful whisky. Talisker 10 is another. Glenmorangie Quinta Ruben is another favorite. I like the bold flavors of the younger offerings. Lagavulin 16 is the oldest I buy. Also, the glass used makes a difference. I only use Canadian Glen Cairn glasses. The curved top oxygenates the liquor as it passes into your mouth.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
I have had it but it didn't make a lasting impression, not that it was bad but just not memorable.
I like peaty Scotches and the Lagavulin 16 is my favorite.

I just got a bottle of Lagavulin 16. I haven't seen it much in the last couple of years, so I pounced. It is my favorite.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post