SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Harley Retro Colors?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Harley Retro Colors? Login/Join 
posted
Just saw a new Harley and the paint looked like a slightly more modern version of the "AMF era" look.

This confused me a little because, IIRC the 70's and the AMF were some of the worst for Harley so i am not sure why they want to throw back to that period?

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I'd venture it's more about nostalgia statements vs anything else.

Today people are retro, they love the colors and images of the 60's and 70's also things from those eras are in vogue.

BTW if not for AMF, HD probably wouldn't be in business...

Posts: 24341 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

AMF bought Harley Davidson for an undisclosed amount of cash, did very little to improve the product then sold everything in 1981 for $80 million. The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania then floated a loan to help the York plant get up on it's feet.

AMF saw Harley Davidson merely as a cash cow.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
I'd venture it's more about nostalgia statements vs anything else.

Today people are retro, they love the colors and images of the 60's and 70's also things from those eras are in vogue.

I get the retro attraction and anyone younger that 50's will not recall the POS AMF years and the ill fated expansion into Harley dirt bikes and snow mobiles and you also raise a good point on that decade at least keeping them on the map

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
Remember the 1976 “Eagle” Superglide? The one that turned into a purple buzzard? Yeah, that was an AMF classic.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

Yup.

There are a lot of old time riders that do not like the bowling ball era in Harley history.

But it was also during those times that AMF brought out a lot of new styles that caught on and got Harley a mark in style again.

These two models were a few of the very popular ones. The Low Rider and the Wide Glide models.

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truckin' On
Picture of AH.74
posted Hide Post
Since getting my "new" 2010 Fat Bob back in February I've had occasion to visit my local dealer more than in the last 10 years combined. I've seen a few of these retro/throwback paint schemes and think they look pretty cool. There was a white sportster in particular that looked especially nice IMO. Can't find a picture of it though. The Iron model with the blue on black is well-done also.

Posts: 7353 | Location: Hermit’s Peak | Registered: November 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
To my recollection none of the many problems with the AMF era ones were due to the available color schemes so I don’t really get your question.

Posts: 6960 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
That because Reto is in with motorcycles. Wink

Posts: 2681 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post