SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need help finding a book
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need help finding a book Login/Join 
posted
After my Dad died I went through his stuff and could never find the book he gave me to read when I was a kid. It tells you where his head was at in the early 50s.(Not a healthy place,but I understand that now.)

The book is called GET TOUGH. It was the standard Army combat training manual by Sgt. Fairburn I believe 1943 edition. That edition shows both the Japanese and Germans in almost cartoon fashion. The Japanese for example were depicted as monkeys with glasses. You get the picture. I have been unable to find that particular edition.

Thanks guys

Posts: 17242 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
there is a place online called Alibrise I believe that has books - new, used and collectibles

might try a google search for them - I know they get their books from all over the world

Posts: 53192 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072...encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30687 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah that is the book. Trouble is 1943 edition is hard to find. Had a different cover. Light tan. Thanks for the tip, I just need that specific one. A lot of that stuff is toned down in the other books. You know filthy Japs and the like. How to kill diabolical Nazis with a matchbook cover. Clear descriptions of stress positions etc.

Posts: 17242 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:

1943 edition is hard to find.
Google found one, for two hundred bucks.

I might pay that much for an original Gutenberg Bible. Wink

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30687 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
There is a 1942 edition on eBay.

Name seems to be spelled Fairbairn

You can email the seller with questions to verify about what you are seeking.

Posts: 11854 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3519 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is a possiblity. I can tell with pictures of he contents.
How do I contact the bookstore???

Picture of Kraquin
posted Hide Post
Here's a buttload in various conditions and prices. Since they're used and grading may not be consistent you could focus on sellers that accept returns.

Get Tough

Posts: 391 | Registered: December 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yeah that is the book. Trouble is 1943 edition is hard to find. Had a different cover. Light tan. Thanks for the tip, I just need that specific one. A lot of that stuff is toned down in the other books. You know filthy Japs and the like. How to kill diabolical Nazis with a matchbook cover. Clear descriptions of stress positions etc.

Are you looking for the book for personal reasons, for a historical reference, to learn Force on Force techniques and tactics, or are you looking for that particular book for the racist depictions?

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Personal only I do not fully trust my memory after all these years. As you might well guess giving this book to a ten year old to read was probalbly not good parenting. My father suvived the Batt
tle of the Bulge was wounded and then spent time in Post War Japan. He was on a troop ship preparing for the invasion of Japan when the A bomb dropped. HE never talked about the war.

CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted Hide Post
quote:
That is a possiblity. I can tell with pictures of he contents.
How do I contact the bookstore???

Meant to post this link. My bad.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fairb...2:g:5nEAAOSwWbNekn7t

Posts: 3519 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Got my big girl
breeches on!
Picture of coffeeaddict
posted Hide Post
Abebooks has several from that year listed from $47-$200. They are a reliable dealer of rare, first edition, and used books.

http://dressageonthequarter.blogspot.com/

Posts: 1926 | Location: TN | Registered: December 19, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

1943 edition is hard to find.
Google found one, for two hundred bucks.

I might pay that much for an original Gutenberg Bible. Wink
I think an original Gutenberg Bible (in any condition) would cost at least a million times that amount.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post