SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Corned Beef or Pastrami this week?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Corned Beef or Pastrami this week? Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I worked for an international company. We were located in San Juan PR, and our facility had French dudes, Americans mainlanders, Puerto Ricans, Central and South Americans, Cubans, etc.

Some of the senior engineers were from Dublin, Belfast, Liverpool, and Glasgow.

The guy from Dublin defined a seven course Irish Dinner as "A six-pack and a spud."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Combo Corned beef and Pastrami!
Harold NY Deli Edison NJ. Come hungry!

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/d0/9...wich-corned-beef.jpg

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8353 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Might I suggest you soak the corned beef in water, changing it once at least. Smoking will concentrate the salt in the meat.

I’ve done 3 on the Traeger. First one was not soaked, it was nearly inedible due to salt. Second was an overnight soak, it was much improved. 3rd was overnight again with a water change before bedtime. It was very good, wife suggested another water change.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5150 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Perception:
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:
Originally posted by Wino:
...buy the largest cryovac brined corned beef (made out of brisket if you can find it)...
I'm confused. Isn't all corned beef made from brisket? Or is the "if you can find it" referring to the "cryovac brined"? Or were you referring to getting a corned beef made from the flat vs the point?

Brisket is typical, but I think it can apply to any cut of beef that's cured that way.

I hadn’t thought about corned beef as a process. I’ve only ever bought it in Wisconsin and Florida in package as pictured below. Is this what Wino is referring to? If so, is it hard to find elsewhere? If it’s the right stuff for making pastrami, I’ll buy more tomorrow when it’s on sale.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Turning Cryovac corned beef into pastrami is our favorite smoke. In fact I’m thinking of giving up on regular brisket in favor of these! Granted, it’s not streamed, but the only one that didn’t turn out perfect wasn’t rinsed enough. If you have the time, I’d change the water 4-6 times, soak overnight. The seasoning mentioned above is about the same I use.
I finished up leftovers last night and already thinking about smoking another one.

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1128 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Wino:
...buy the largest cryovac brined corned beef (made out of brisket if you can find it)...
I'm confused. Isn't all corned beef made from brisket? Or is the "if you can find it" referring to the "cryovac brined"? Or were you referring to getting a corned beef made from the flat vs the point?

Brisket is typical, but I think it can apply to any cut of beef that's cured that way.

I hadn’t thought about corned beef as a process. I’ve only ever bought it in Wisconsin and Florida in package as pictured below. Is this what Wino is referring to? If so, is it hard to find elsewhere? If it’s the right stuff for making pastrami, I’ll buy more tomorrow when it’s on sale.

yes, that’s it! Most like using the flat for pastrami over the point, but we had corned beef points on sale for $1.27 per pound!
My local Costco has prime briskets in stock again, I’d like to buy one, turn the point into burnt ends, and the flat into pastrami!

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1128 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I hope they go on sale tomorrow then. Under $2 a pound would be fantastic especially considering there’s a half a pound of water in the one I bought. We’re suppose to get a Costco soon, but Sam’s Club by us has packer briskets under $4 a pound again.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by downtownv:

Combo Corned beef and Pastrami! Harold NY Deli Edison NJ. Come hungry!

Do they deliver?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Wino:

Yes, that's it.
Soak and rinse a couple of times, the more intense the red is, the more nitrates are in there, thus soak & rinse. You want the spices you're rubbing on to come through, and not get overwhelmed by the brine solution.
Brisket is the common but, as the prices have increased on them over the years, Chuck has become the back-up/second-place option in this arena.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Mrs. Warhorse is making corned beef and cabbage for dinner tonight, included are carrots, and boiled potatoes. Yum!!

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’ve only ever bought it in Wisconsin and Florida in package as pictured below. Is this what Wino is referring to? If so, is it hard to find elsewhere? If it’s the right stuff for making pastrami, I’ll buy more tomorrow when it’s on sale.

Bought that today, it's in the crock pot with potato's and carrots right now slowly cooking away for dinner. Didn't have time to fire up the smoker and watch it.

if it goes on sale tomorrow I'll grab another.

Posts: 23439 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

Combo Corned beef and Pastrami! Harold NY Deli Edison NJ. Come hungry!

Do they deliver?

Are you Meshuganah? Actually, they ship around the world!

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8353 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scratchy:
I'm just going to order a Rueben.
That's what we ended up doing. Somehow both of us failed to realize SPD was upon us. So Reuben sandwiches from one of the better bar & restaurants it was.

They were very good Smile

So good I suspect I've seen the last of American-traditional SPD dinners - lol

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

Are you Meshuganah? Actually, they ship around the world!
I was hoping for grub-hub or uber eats, something with delivery within the hour.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

posted Hide Post
Dad and I went to a local restaurant chain (they have 3 locations) - they had corned beef, cabbage, baby carrots, and potato on special. Came with cornbread on the side.

It was GOOD! Dad managed to put down more than I thought he would, and still had room for a scoop of ice cream afterwards.

Posts: 2771 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post