SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Corned Beef or Pastrami this week?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Corned Beef or Pastrami this week? Login/Join 
posted
St.Patrick's Day is coming up Friday and the American tradition of serving up Corned Beef is upon us.

The slow-cooker and modern pressure cookers have made life easier for the cooks of the household to work these hunks of meat. This season, instead of slow-cooking, pressure cooking, boiling or, oven roasting, I'm gonna try to take a corned beef, clean it up and smoke it in an attempt to make pastrami.

Anybody else getting creative or, have made a surefire recipe for St.Paddy's?

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Don’t forget the cabbage!

Very nutritious (lots of fiber) and delicious to boot. Well, “delicious“ is really the #1 requirement, but “nutritious” doesn’t hurt.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8951 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Neither... Wait until after St. Paddy's Day, then buy whatever is left on clearance. Big Grin

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I love a boiled dinner, but don't cook one. Maybe I'll try to find a restaurant that serves one.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38675 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My sister is a very good cook, and a traditionalist about holiday meals. I've got the invite for Friday. CB&C all the way. (I know, that's not what the Irish eat, but...this is 'Murica!)

Posts: 2693 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grapes of Wrath
Picture of Wino
posted Hide Post
I've been using Amazing Ribs recipe for making corned beef & pastrami scratch from brisket for years:

https://amazingribs.com/tested...-corned-beef-recipe/

https://amazingribs.com/tested...-close-katzs-recipe/

If you really want to make pastrami but are running out of time cure the corned beef before St Patty's Day... buy the largest cryovac brined corned beef (made out of brisket if you can find it) at the grocery, soak it overnight to desalinate, apply the rub of your choice (without salt), and smoke it to 195F. Let it rest wrapped for 4+ hours before serving.

Posts: 1455 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
I'm just going to order a Rueben. Wife does not like corned beef, or cabbage that is not cole slaw.

Posts: 4018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Anarion
posted Hide Post
Neither...

Going with a roast leg of lamb w/ roasted root vegetables, and sautéed cabbage, with scratch soda bread slathered in butter.

==============================
On the fields of friendly strife are sown the seeds that on other days and other fields will bear the fruits of victory.
Gen. Douglas MacArthur

Posts: 3106 | Location: Houston | Registered: December 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wino:
...buy the largest cryovac brined corned beef (made out of brisket if you can find it)...
I'm confused. Isn't all corned beef made from brisket? Or is the "if you can find it" referring to the "cryovac brined"? Or were you referring to getting a corned beef made from the flat vs the point?

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
I smoked a pastrami a couple of years ago and it came out great.

I started with a marked down corned beef from the grocery store the day after St. Patrick's Day. I took it out of the wrapper, dried it and rubbed it down with a pastrami rub I found online and threw it on the smoker until somewhere around 200 internal. Not quite traditional since I believe they are generally smoked then steamed, but it came out really good all the same. The rub turned out so good I saved the recipe, I've added it below.

Pastrami Rub (from Grill University I believe)
4 tbsp black pepper
2 tbsp coriander, ground
1 tbsp mustard powder
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp paprika
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp onion powder

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anarion:
Neither...

Going with a roast leg of lamb w/ roasted root vegetables, and sautéed cabbage, with scratch soda bread slathered in butter.

Nice...and, very Irish of you to go with lamb Cool
Easter cames early to your household.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:
Originally posted by Wino:
...buy the largest cryovac brined corned beef (made out of brisket if you can find it)...
I'm confused. Isn't all corned beef made from brisket? Or is the "if you can find it" referring to the "cryovac brined"? Or were you referring to getting a corned beef made from the flat vs the point?

Brisket is typical, but I think it can apply to any cut of beef that's cured that way.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Anarion
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
quote:
Originally posted by Anarion:
Neither...

Nice...and, very Irish of you to go with lamb Cool
Easter cames early to your household.

Been doing this for a few years...
Have really enjoyed this recipe
https://food52.com/recipes/385...-rosemary-and-garlic

==============================
On the fields of friendly strife are sown the seeds that on other days and other fields will bear the fruits of victory.
Gen. Douglas MacArthur

Posts: 3106 | Location: Houston | Registered: December 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
I refuse to choose; shall consume both corned beef and pastrami, in moderately moderate quantities.

Posts: 15893 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
I preemptively made corned beef twice last week. 1st time every trying it.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife is Irish.
Corned Beef, cabbage and new potatoes is the menu!
I use horseradish and ketchup to make it delicious!

Posts: 368 | Registered: January 07, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Network Janitor
Picture of mkueffer
posted Hide Post
I’ve got a 7lb corned brisket that will go on the smoker tomorrow. Potatoes and cabbage to go with.

A few Sigs and some others

Posts: 2219 | Location: Waukesha, WI | Registered: February 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If any of you are looking for a fantastic and very versatile sauce you can put on your potatoes or, meat, try the below

Horseradish cream sauce

1/2 cup creme fraiche or, sour cream
1/2 cup horseradish
1/2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
salt/pepper

mix together, serve as condiment
adjust ingredients to taste
adding chopped dill or, tarragon is another option

Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
To me, corned beef is nothing special and cooked cabbage is one of the most vile dishes ever put on a plate. I'll just have a Guinness. Big Grin

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Irish stew

Posts: 13258 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post