SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Chicago’s “Race-Neutral” Traffic Cameras Ticket Black and Latino Drivers the Most
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chicago’s “Race-Neutral” Traffic Cameras Ticket Black and Latino Drivers the Most Login/Join 
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted
How the hell is this a racial issue? Here's an idea - don't run the freaking lights!

Partial quote:
quote:
The consequences have been especially punishing in Black
neighborhoods, which have been hit with more than half a billion dollars in penalties over
the last 15 years, contributing to thousands of vehicle impoundments, driver’s license
suspensions and bankruptcies, according to ProPublica’s analysis.
“We felt the brunt of it the way white people didn’t,” said Olatunji Oboi Reed, a longtime
activist for racial equity in transportation in Chicago who has received a handful of camera
tickets over the years. “Fortunately, I’ve always been in a situation where I can survive
financially, unlike many Black and brown people in the city; one ticket is throwing their
whole finances in a hurricane.”

Link to full article below.

Linky

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12440 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I recall correctly the red light cameras involved some corruption. The cameras and lights can be set such that entering an intersection under the yellow caution results in a ticket.

Posts: 17263 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
How the hell is this a racial issue?

Answer (as if you didn't know): It's not?

I couldn't find the article, subsequently, but, back when the whole "people of color are more frequently cited for traffic violations than white people," came up another time, I read an article claiming people of color more often break traffic laws. Not based upon traffic citations. Somebody did a study by observing driving behavior.

I will tell you this, from my own observations while out-and-about: When I'm driving along, usually at ±5 MPH over the speed limit, and I'm passed, it seems it's more often PoC or women than it is white males. (I've also noticed I'm more often tail-gated by women than men.)

I never used to bother looking. It had never occurred to me to do so. Then, one day driving home from work, at a point where two lanes merged into one, it eventually came to my attention that, when somebody squeezed-up to prevent me merging in front of them, it was far more often a female driver than a male.

That's when I started paying attention to who was driving how.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Simple fix, remove the cameras everywhere or if you want to show wokeness, remove them from the intersections where the ratio of non white to white drivers resulting in tickets are greater.

Posts: 23563 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Here we go:

quote:

The study involved photographing tens of
thousands of drivers on the turnpike last spring
while clocking speed with a radar gun. It found
that black drivers sped much more than other
drivers
, according to three people who have
reviewed the unreleased report. The racial gap
was far wider than officials had expected
and, in
the politically charged controversies over
profiling, the data could be used by defenders of
the state police to argue that one reason black
drivers are stopped more often than whites is that
they are more likely to speed.

(Note: Emphasis added)
Original article: Driving While Black (N.B.: Document name is actually "racial.pdf," but I felt that not very descriptive.)

I don't recall if that was what I'd read many years ago, but the results are generally similar to what I recall.

Read the entire article. It's a real eye-opener.

Spoiler alert: It pretty much entirely blows up the entire "driving while black" narrative Wink
Spoiler alert #2: The official report was suppressed.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
So many neighborhoods in Chicago are predominantly minority-occupied.

So the tickets in those neighborhoods will be predominantly sent to minorities.

Thats not racism, thats statistics.

Now if only the minority neighboorhoods have the cameras (seriously doubt that) that would be racist.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jimbo Jones:

So the tickets in those neighborhoods will be predominantly sent to minorities.

We live in a world where statistics don't matter. Kind of like the violence against Asians. We know who is doing it yet we still want to pretend violence against Asians is because of Trump and white supremacists. What I find comical is that if that was the case, it was Trump, then why would the group least likely to support Trump be affected by what Trump says? Roll Eyes

Posts: 124 | Location: Oro Valley, Arizona | Registered: January 19, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cobre sig:
We live in a world where statistics don't matter.

Perhaps more accurate to say they matter only if they fit the desired narrative?

posted Hide Post
quote:

^^^^^^^^^^^^
Neighborhoods in Chicago have ALWAYS been segregated by race,creed and color. It is a city of immigrants, hence Chinatown and the like. It used have the highest number of Poles outside of Warsaw. Pilsen and Little Village are predominately Hispanic. If you are Caucasian and living in Pilsen you would be a minorityi.

Posts: 17263 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by cobre sig:
We live in a world where statistics don't matter.

Perhaps more accurate to say they matter only if they fit the desired narrative?

True, it would be more accurate.

Posts: 124 | Location: Oro Valley, Arizona | Registered: January 19, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
On the other hand......would YOU slow down or stop while driving in those neighborhoods? Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sgalczyn,

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4582 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe it would be better to remove all traffic controls in the neighborhood.

How bout we distill it to " holding a race "responsible" for anything is against culture and therefor racist

Posts: 1408 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post