SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Gyokuro - new way to steep
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gyokuro - new way to steep Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
There was a tea thread a ways back. Since then, I've converted to Ippodo gyokuro Rimpo as my daily tea - one of the more affordable levels of gyokuro.

But I've been trying to find a steeping method that minimized harshness while still having a robust tea flavor. I've played with combinations of water temp and steep times.

I think I stumbled onto a method that suites my tastes -- good tea flavor with a sweet after taste and minimal harshness.

One scoop of tea leaves in a steeper of choice (mine yields about 2 6 oz cups). Fill about 1/2 way with 195 degree water (not arbitrary - this is the default temp of my Zojirushi), then the other half with water from the fridge door (cool water - unknown temp; I'll measure someday with my IR meter). Steep until the leaves are unfurled. Drink. Again, good flavor, no harness and a very nice sweet after taste. Relatively mild.

And I did try filling with fridge water first, then 195 degree water. While the net end temp should be about the same, the taste comes out different - more mild. I think the initial exposure to hot water first makes a difference.

YMMV.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13112 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
What do you mean by a “steeper”? Are you just referring to a tea ball or other infuser that’s immersed in hot water?

6.4/93.6

“I regret that I am to now die in the belief, that the useless sacrifice of themselves by the generation of 1776, to acquire self-government and happiness to their country, is to be thrown away by the unwise and unworthy passions of their sons, and that my only consolation is to be, that I live not to weep over it.”
— Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 47717 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Sorry. I may be using my own words Smile

Here, it was a reference to the container I use that holds the tea and water. I actually use this:
http://www.teavana.com/us/en/t...atured&sz=12&start=0

I find it convenient as it allows plenty of room for the leaves to unfurl. And it's clean and easy to pour into a cup without needing an additional strainer.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13112 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I’m always looking for ways to brew tea, and wasn’t familiar with that one.

6.4/93.6

“I regret that I am to now die in the belief, that the useless sacrifice of themselves by the generation of 1776, to acquire self-government and happiness to their country, is to be thrown away by the unwise and unworthy passions of their sons, and that my only consolation is to be, that I live not to weep over it.”
— Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 47717 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I also use a Gyokuro from Ippodo. I actually prefer a little bitterness, so tend to push the high-side limit on temperature. Also depends if I plan to do more than one infusion, in which case I hold back a little on the first brew so there's something left for the second, and even third steep.

It would be interesting to find out your exact brewing temps. I do my first steep a couple degrees over the recommended at 160°F. For a single steep I hold it for 2 full minutes, but if doing multiples just 1-1/2 min. I find the leaves begin opening at around 40 seconds, so that by the 1 minute mark you're getting full leach.

[To get that temp I fill the pot 2/3 with boiling water, then cut it by filling the pot to the brim with room temp tap water. That way I don't have to use the thermometer every time.]

The second steep is more aggressive at 170°F (though I start at 175 to compensate for cold, wet leaves.) for 1 minute, again a little longer than recommended to get a little more robustness.

If I'm going hog-wild and try a third steep, again at 170 for a minute-and-a-half. This is actually the same as recommended for the 3rd steep.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16951 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
So...putting the bag in a cup full of tap water and nuking it for one minute isn't kosher?

Posts: 20600 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
^^Barbarian!

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16951 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post