SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Fastening to drywall help
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fastening to drywall help Login/Join 
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted
Stage -- Operation/Hardware
------------------------------------------
0 ------ Just drive a screw into the drywall
1 ------ (when #0 strips out) use those little plastic anchors
2 ------ (when #1 strips out) use threaded aluminum anchors
3 ------ (when #2 strips out) ??????????????
99 ----- Cut out and patch in a new piece of drywall
---------------------------------------------------------------

Are there options for #3 (other than toggles, have had some bad luck with toggles)?

Doesn't have to support a lot of weight, but should be able to resist multiple light loads (e.g. wiggling).

Posts: 6488 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I've never had problems with number two.

This is what you are talking about for #2 right?

If so you next step is toggle bolts.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20830 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
If I need something secure, I'll use TOGGLER 2-Pack Assorted Length x 3/16-in Dia Toggle Bolt Drywall Anchor (Screws Included).

It is a better toggle bolt..

Posts: 4364 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHb-Tcvkn7M

Skip to 15:13 for test results.

I chose two EZ Anchor Toggles to hang a medicine cabinet.

3 --- Drive screw(s) into stud(s), possibly using a cross member to span studs.

Posts: 4820 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:

I've had good luck with these too.

What is it you're wanting to hang? May help guide some options.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3459 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes, #2 is the EZ-Anchor thingie. This particular application is a toilet roll holder that gets wiggled multiple times a day (so it is, indeed, a problem with number two if you will). The EZ-Anchors have worked loose to the point that they can no longer be screwed down firmly, and they just spin when the fastening screws are threaded into them. I know only one size of EZ-Anchor, perhaps there are bigger ones?

Posts: 6488 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Yeah those things won't withstand long term wiggling. Toggle bolts or the thing lowlife posted are your answer.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20830 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Best sheetrock anchoring solution that's going to take abuse...find a stud and screw into it.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
the thing lowlife posted are your answer.

I have a swinging baby gate that blocks off the stairs. The kids practically swing off of that thing. I used these after several other failures, and they haven't given up yet.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15722 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Best sheetrock anchoring solution that's going to take abuse...find a stud and screw into it.

Barring that, cut out the drywall between two studs, attach wood between the stud (recess it from the stud faces to help with the next step), use the piece of drywall you cut out to patch the hole.

My towel racks and toilet paper holders can double as grab bars. Razz

Posts: 10970 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
^^^ highly recommended if you are planning on painting or remodeling. Company I used to work for it was almost standard practice especially if customer was over 60.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
quote:

Yes, #2 is the EZ-Anchor thingie. This particular application is a toilet roll holder that gets wiggled multiple times a day (so it is, indeed, a problem with number two if you will). The EZ-Anchors have worked loose to the point that they can no longer be screwed down firmly, and they just spin when the fastening screws are threaded into them. I know only one size of EZ-Anchor, perhaps there are bigger ones?

I have the same exact problem in my powder room. I've replaced, and slight moved the anchor points in the drywall. It just comes loose overtime. Probably doesn't help my young son puts his weight on it.

I just haven't gotten around to replacing the drywall patch, sanding, mudding, painting. etc. . . It's the only real solution in my book.

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
If no studs, toggle bolts. If studs, wood screws. Toggles are what’s holding up my TP dispensers and they’ve been good for years and years. I’ve even had to hang electrical panels and other devices at work with large toggle bolts, when necessary.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3969 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just haven't gotten around to replacing the drywall patch, sanding, mudding, painting. etc. . . It's the only real solution in my book.

If you have to replace drywall, and you know it's going to be abused, do what trapper suggested and add wood to support it.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
If you have pulled an anchor that pulled out, putting another one in the same spot isn't going to work. The drywall around that anchor is compromised.

You need to move a few inches away if you want to us another anchor.

quote:
Doesn't have to support a lot of weight, but should be able to resist multiple light loads (e.g. wiggling).

Wiggling will cause most drywall anchors to fail over time.

If you have to patch the wall consider cutting it out and putting in some support.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16403 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I go straight to the toggles, never had a problem with those.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5652 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
Toggle bolts? Everything I know about 'em I learned from Adam Carolla.

Posts: 7361 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

If I cannot hit a stud to anchor whatever, I cut a piece of wood to screw to the studs, and anchor the device to the wood. Paint the wood to match the wall, if needed.

Sometimes you can even hide the wood. E.g., to anchor something where the provided anchor holes are 8" apart, use a piece of wood 9"-10" wide and 3"-4" tall. Anchor the wood with two screws vertically to a single stud. If the corners of the wood show, cut off a 45 degree piece from each corner, or round the corner.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10788 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark60:
Monkey Hooks

Not sure what your hanging but Monkey Hooks are pure awesomeness. Two of those bad boys are holding up a 40 lb a candle decorative thingy hanging over my bed.

Posts: 5422 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post