SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Schnees, Hoffman or other domestic made pac boots?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Schnees, Hoffman or other domestic made pac boots? Login/Join 
Inject yourself!
posted
I’m looking for some new pac boots and I’m really trying to stay domestic or friendly countries made. No China etc. Europe or Canada is fine. I need something for winter shooting, walking the dogs, running the snowblower etc.

I don’t need to walk or hike for miles.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Riley,

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8344 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I think the rubber parts are all made overseas, Italy maybe?

Don’t have Schnees though I looked into them. I bought a pair of Hoffman’s last year instead. Honestly I don’t remember what was my final decision maker, possibly the price.
Didn’t wear them too much last hunting season, but did more than a fair bit this year. Just starting to get used to them as they’re breaking in now. About to wear them for another four or five days hunting. So far so good, though no not exactly a long term review.

ETA: yeah I just double checked, it was the price lol. Schnees were about $100 more.
I’ve heard about Schnees through lots of advertisement, estimated that was the reason for the price difference, paying for the name and advertising.

https://hoffmanboots.com/hoffm...-winter-hunting-pacs

This message has been edited. Last edited by: cas,

Posts: 21106 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of friends who wear Lacrosse Pac Boots and swear by them. Pricey, though.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16100 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Sadly I think all of Lacrosse's boots are imported now.

Schnees are made in Montana.
Hoffmans in Idaho.

Posts: 21106 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
Staying domestic is expensive.
Chippewa Arctic 50.
Not exactly pac boots.
But that is what I wear now for winter.
Best winter boots I've ever worn.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1547 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Baffins are good. Made in Canada last I remember.I have Hoffmans, Baffins and Sorels. Hoffmans are very nice. I do like the Sorels also. Baffins are on par as well.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19196 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
I ordered a pair from Hoffman last February and still haven’t received them. I emailed them a couple times with no response.

Posts: 3231 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted Hide Post
I have both Schnees Extreme and Hoffman Mountaineer pac boots, the Schnees were bought a few years ago and the Hoffmans last year. Both are great boots and I went went with Hoffmans because of price. Use coupon code Rokslide15 for an extra 15% off. I just bought another pair as a Christmas gift for my daughter’s boyfriend, he wants to deer hunt this year during muzzleloader season.

Quality is top shelf for both. Hoffman liner is a very thick felt, Schnees is more of a quilted thinsulate I believe. I don’t think you’d go wrong either way but as I mentioned, the substantial price difference was the deciding factor for me.

Posts: 2338 | Location: Massillon, OH | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Baffins are good. Made in Canada last I remember.

Very little of their line is made in Canada now. They were one of the ones I looked at.

posted Hide Post
I would suggest Kamik, they do have some import models but also ones made in both Canada and the US. Last time I was on their site, they allowed you to filter searches to that effect. Been happy with what I have bought so far.

Posts: 339 | Location: Twin Cities MN | Registered: April 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Ordered some Hoffmanns. 12” ProSeries Stomper.

Posts: 8344 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
https://hoffmanboots.com/pro-series-stomper

These showed up. I got the 12” tall. Plenty warm for my uses, good traction and not overly heavy. I’m able to drive in them. They fit pretty well, I sized up being between sizes. A heavier sock should take care of that and room for arch supports if needed. I do need taller boot socks anyway that are taller than the boot.

Picture of ch23701
posted Hide Post
I’ll 2nd Baffins. I wear them all the time ice fishing. LaCrosse is also a good one, but as pointed out their foreign manufactured.

Posts: 258 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: September 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Growing up New England boots from LL Bean were the go to company.

In looking at their website it now appears that most of their boots are imported…except for these…

https://www.llbean.com/llb/sho...RATING*Warmest&pos=5

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6324 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
Growing up New England boots from LL Bean were the go to company.

In looking at their website it now appears that most of their boots are imported…except for these…

Yup, Bean largely imports their footwear, the only Maine/domestically made style is their familiar Bean Boot and a handful of varieties of that style.
Soreal's Caribou is the gold standard snow pac boot that's been the most copied in the marketplace. Still a good boot but, it's costs have spiraled upward and made overseas. Baffin was a solid choice, especially for workwear, unfortunately they have few domestically made styles. My understanding is there's no more domestic petroleum refineries/chemical plants to make the type of rubber they need, thus the move to overseas builds. This is/was a problem for US military issue winter boots.

In general, footwear manufacturing is pretty hard, the amount of experience necessary for a line-worker to build-up to be competent, takes years. This makes the move by US companies 30-40 years ago to overseas manufacturing all the more tragic, flushing away the decades of experience.

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post