SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Delta moved my 3yr old's seat, I pity da fool who gets to sit next to her.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Delta moved my 3yr old's seat, I pity da fool who gets to sit next to her. Login/Join 
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted
We booked a trip months ago directly through Delta, picked our seats at the time of purchase so the 1 hr flight on a 2x2 flying bus is wife and I and the 2 kids all across, picked the 6hr flight in the 6x6 with us 3 across with 1 in the next aisle seat for backup.

I go to check in and on the 2x2 flight and 2 of the tickets are moved 6 rows back to the back of the plane, one in like 12A the other in 13B. Never got an email, text, or call notification from Delta. Wife and I are traveling with a 3 & 5 yr old who have never flown. I am sure we will [hopefully] be able to talk to someone in 12B or 13A and get them to swap seats, but this tastes like United. If neither does, this could get interesting.

A little interweb research says this is the norm from Delta, the fine print says you aren't guaranteed that seat, etc. I know Southwest is luck of the draw and all that, but this adds a level of drama before we even step out the door.

On a plus note, Delta gave us 2 free checked bags for this flight, although I have read that when you show up to the airport to check, they say nope, its $25 and $35.

Posts: 2601 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
This is the norm in the industry as far as I know. Likely there was an equipment change which is very common at least with Delta. Different airplane of course means different seat arrangements.

I'm constantly checking my scheduled flights to make sure there are no equipment changes prior to my departure dates because there will not be a notification if it happens. This especially on my international flights when I'm flying with my wife and daughter.

It's just something as a frequent flyer that you learn to watch for. Equipment changes happen. A lot.

If you talk to Delta and let them know you are a family traveling together with young children, they may be able to help make it work out. Otherwise, I doubt you'll have too much trouble with people switching seats to accommodate you. As long as they're not giving up a aisle or window seat for a middle seat.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30901 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
We just returned from a trip to Alaska, and were a family of three that got scattered all over the plane by United at check in, when there was a plane change. What's odd is that we went to a much larger plane, so why were we scattered? My wife believes it was all status related, with frequent flyers getting dibbs. United blamed a computer algorithm. We were not the only family on this 5 hour flight scrambling to sit together as a result of this fiasco, and my wife was pissed that every agent said the agent at the next stop could help us, just to move us to the next point. Ultimately, my wife succeeded mostly, we lost our window and aisle but sat together in the center section of a 777.

Also found ourselves in a TSA quandry. I didn't qualify for Pre-check, but my wife and daughter did. Strangely, I have qualified for Pre-check several times before, but not this time. Wife had been in a situation previously where you couldn't opt out, and she flies pretty frequently for work, so we felt compelled to split up. What a cluster.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10359 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JSB3
posted Hide Post
These stories always fascinate me. Will they really separate a parent from their child? Or are these situations resolved on their own by simply explaining the situation at the boarding gate. People freak out and call the police about a stranger looking at their kid funny, yet airlines are allowed to move them rows away to sit with a stranger for a several hour flight.

Blaming the crime on the gun, is like blaming a bad story on the pencil.

Posts: 1068 | Location: Saint Charles Missouri | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jigray3:
We just returned from a trip to Alaska, and were a family of three that got scattered all over the plane by United at check in, when there was a plane change. What's odd is that we went to a much larger plane, so why were we scattered? My wife believes it was all status related, with frequent flyers getting dibbs. United blamed a computer algorithm. We were not the only family on this 5 hour flight scrambling to sit together as a result of this fiasco.

Also found ourselves in a TSA quandry. I didn't qualify for Pre-check, but my wife and daughter did. Strangely, I have qualified for Pre-check several times before, but not this time. Wife had been in a situation previously where you couldn't opt out, and she flies pretty frequently for work, so we felt compelled to split up. What a cluster.

Of course you can "opt out." You're under no obligation to use the Pre-check lane just because you have pre-check. She probably just told you that so she didn't have to deal with the regular security. Haha. As a frequent flyer, I would've done the same thing. Smile

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30901 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't flown in almost 4 years and have only flown a handful of times. I have no fear of flying, it just isn't needed for work and doesn't come up for pleasure travel often. I think equipment change was the culprit, as our flight is now 30 mins earlier, which they didn't notify us of either. I'm pretty it was on the same model of plane anyway. Oh well. I'm sure us saying "well, I really hope she doesn't have an accident" will get things straightened out pretty quickly.

Posts: 2601 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:

Of course you can "opt out." You're under no obligation to use the Pre-check lane just because you have pre-check. She probably just told you that so she didn't have to deal with the regular security. Haha. As a frequent flyer, I would've done the same thing. Smile

Also, none of us are pre-checked whatever-ed. Luckily, we won't be traveling through security on either end at large airports, but its always fun researching what current flux capacitor powered "its safe, trust us" machines TSA is using when the issue arises. Also, the wife is pregnant, I posed the question to her already if she's going to go through the "safe machine" or get a rub down. I didn't receive an answer so I'll just pop some popcorn and watch the show.

Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:

It sounded odd to me at the time, but she swears they required her to go Pre-check once, and given that she's a very truthful person, and it's the TSA we're talking about, my money's on her. Depending on how busy an airport could get, I could see that kind of scenario recommended as a requirement.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10359 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
quote:
"well, I really hope she doesn't have an accident"

Wink

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19709 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Delta pulled this crap on me when my kids were 2 and 4. We almost missed the flight because no one would swap. Finally someone did swap as we were exiting the plane. I haven't flown delta since. Only JetBlue and never had it be an issue since.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12605 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's probably been 20 years or more but United bumped me to first class on one flight when I gave up my seat so a family could fly together. Having experienced First Class I would have to say I would do that again in an eye blink. Because the difference in leg room and comfort is YUGE. Also doesn't hurt a bit the First Class Stewardess was a real looker and very friendly.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5765 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
I have had seated changed when I've booked through Expedia, but never when booking through Delta directly. That strikes me as odd.

Good luck. I hope everything works out. Maybe if you arrive early the gate agent could help you out.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rsbolo:
I have had seated changed when I've booked through Expedia, but never when booking through Delta directly. That strikes me as odd.

Good luck. I hope everything works out. Maybe if you arrive early the gate agent could help you out.

I had seat changes with a small child (no equipment change) on Delta once when I had booked the flight through Orbitz.

I complained to Delta and they gave me some bullshit answer about seats not being reserved when you book through a travel agent (and any booking besides direct with Delta counted as a travel agent), and the assigned seats on your reservation are just a request or something.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, we booked through Delta directly. I do that for just this reason. Guess that doesn't really matter anymore.

chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scuba Steve Sig:
Yeah, we booked through Delta directly. I do that for just this reason. Guess that doesn't really matter anymore.

That really is frustrating. I'd really like to trust that you'll end up with what you booked. I've had good luck with some very helpful gate agents and I'll wish the same to you Scuba.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Yellow Jacket
posted Hide Post
Be thankful that you actually got a seat on the flight you're booked on! At least they didn't beat you up and drag you off the plane! Big Grin Big Grin

God's mercy: NOT getting what we deserve!
God's grace: Getting what we DON'T deserve!

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - Infantry Journal

Bob
P239 40 S&W
Endowment NRA
Viet Nam '69-'70

Posts: 1099 | Location: Fayette County, GA | Registered: April 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chances are Delta will fix this. Give them the chance at the gate before you burn bridges. If not nearby passengers will likely assist. I've done it several times. Common sense typically prevails. Safe travels.

P229

Posts: 3946 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ59:
Chances are Delta will fix this. Give them the chance at the gate before you burn bridges. If not nearby passengers will likely assist. I've done it several times. Common sense typically prevails. Safe travels.
Yeah, believe me nobody wants to sit next to your kid, much less sit next to your kid solo.

The reason I always sit in the exit row.

It'll be alright.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Yellow Jacket:
Be thankful that you actually got a seat on the flight you're booked on! At least they didn't beat you up and drag you off the plane! Big Grin Big Grin

We aren't in the air yet... I'm keeping an open mind about it, most Iowans are commonsensereasonable.

Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
I am flying to San Antonio next week with my wife and 2 kids. I bought my ticket through work (Concur) and at the exact same time we bought the other 3 tickets on United.com the day the tickets became available. In the first 3 weeks after I bought the tickets they changed the planes 4 times. Each time I would get an email notification from the travel agency that my flight was cancelled and re-booked (different flight # and type of aircraft). Zero notification from United about the other 3.

Each time I had to call United and change our seats around to be sitting together. What a cluster fuck. United sucks ass, as I am sure Delta does too. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they fucked up our seats again when we get to the gate.

What kids of shitty company changes details about something you already paid for and doesn't tell you...An airline, that's who. Cause it's in the fine print. Roll Eyes

Posts: 5817 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post