SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    KNIPEX locking pliers
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
KNIPEX locking pliers Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
I have several KNIPEX pliers. I wondered if KNIPEX made locking pliers. They do. But looking at the photos on Amazon they don’t appear to be any better (design & construction) than my 40+ year-old Vise Grip pliers. I was surprised, and a bit disappointed, expecting innovations. Generally, KNIPEX pliers are best in class.

Of course, Vise Grip pliers are probably made in China nowadays. Frown

Grip Pliers-Universal Jaws
https://a.co/d/4onLx5Y

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Pipe Smoker,



Serious about crackers
 
Posts: 8748 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
At least those are made in Germany but all the brands appear to be the same design.
However materials and quality of manufacture can still make a tremendous difference.

Meanwhile, a company named Malco bought the rights and attempted to make a quality US made produce.
Unfortunately it looks like it didn't work as shown in the link. You can still buy remaining stock from some of the vendors shown in the link.

https://www.eaglegripusa.com/faqs/


___________________________
Avoid buying ChiCom/CCP products whenever possible.
 
Posts: 9386 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
Of course, Vice Grip pliers are probably made in China nowadays.


Production moved to China in 2008.
 
Posts: 3487 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Grip-on locking pliers come in many configurations and are made in Spain.

https://chadstoolbox.com/grip-on-locking-pliers/

I have had a couple pairs that have held up well for the past 9 years.

Kevin
 
Posts: 130 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I'd bet those Knipex grip better.




 
Posts: 10044 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:

Of course, Vice Grip pliers are probably made in China nowadays. Frown

Grip Pliers-Universal Jaws
https://a.co/d/4onLx5Y
Per the linked Amazon listing, the referenced Knipex pliers are also made in china.
quote:

Country of Origin ‎China



הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים
 
Posts: 30384 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of shiftyvtec
posted Hide Post
I dig Knipex, but would probably go with:

https://www.eaglegripusa.com/

Locking pliers when I wear out my USA made Visegrip and Craftsman versions.

The link above is the company that I believe bought the old machinery from the USA made original along with hiring some of the former employees. The construction quality is supposed to be way up... along with the price point.
 
Posts: 1568 | Location: Near Austin, TX | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Tekton pliers are reasonably priced, well made, and made in Taiwan (not China). Taiwanese tool manufacturing is reputationally very good, like the Japanese and cars.

Also, Tekton has been bringing parts of it's production to the USA (screwdrivers, and some pliers at the moment).

Their tools also have a hassle free warranty. Send a picture of a busted tool, and get a new one in the mail in a couple of days.
 
Posts: 13045 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I have some older Craftsman locking pliers that have a release lever that you squeeze to open, rather than have to pull apart as with Vise Grip. It's a big advantage.


_________________________
“ What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.”— Lord Melbourne
 
Posts: 17944 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
I have some older Craftsman locking pliers that have a release lever that you squeeze to open, rather than have to pull apart as with Vise Grip. It's a big advantage.

My 40+ year old Vise Grip pliers have that release lever too.



Serious about crackers
 
Posts: 8748 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Per the linked Amazon listing


"Customer questions & answers

Question:
Where are these made?

Answer: Germany
By Uberlegen Seller on November 12, 2022
this is the best vise grip I have in my tools box.

By Sunny Lam on November 12, 2022
Germany is what is cast into them...
By Jordan on November 12, 2022"


Another question asks if they're knock offs because the quality isn't great.


So... I dunno? Is it the product or the source?
 
Posts: 20982 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
Tekton pliers are reasonably priced, well made, and made in Taiwan (not China). Taiwanese tool manufacturing is reputationally very good, like the Japanese and cars.

Also, Tekton has been bringing parts of it's production to the USA (screwdrivers, and some pliers at the moment).

Their tools also have a hassle free warranty. Send a picture of a busted tool, and get a new one in the mail in a couple of days.

I have several different Tekton tools and they have been great tools.
 
Posts: 4039 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Per the linked Amazon listing


"Customer questions & answers

Question:
Where are these made?

Answer: Germany
By Uberlegen Seller on November 12, 2022
this is the best vise grip I have in my tools box.

By Sunny Lam on November 12, 2022
Germany is what is cast into them...
By Jordan on November 12, 2022"


Another question asks if they're knock offs because the quality isn't great.


So... I dunno? Is it the product or the source?

The Amazon link in my OP does indeed show “Germany” stamped or engraved on the pliers.



Serious about crackers
 
Posts: 8748 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
It would not be the first time counterfeit tools were listed on Amazon.
 
Posts: 17074 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:

The Amazon link in my OP does indeed show “Germany” stamped or engraved on the pliers.


As a knock of would too. lol

Amazon reviews need to me taken with many grains of salt. People seem to want to rush for their 15 minutes, "reviewing" things they just received.


Interestingly my local Lowes shows they carry them in store (for less than the Amazon link). I'll have to try to remember to check them out next time there. But design and construction doesn't seem any different than any other company, so in that regard there's only so much room for improvement.
 
Posts: 20982 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Per the linked Amazon listing


"Customer questions & answers

Question:
Where are these made?

Answer: Germany
By Uberlegen Seller on November 12, 2022
this is the best vise grip I have in my tools box.

By Sunny Lam on November 12, 2022
Germany is what is cast into them...
By Jordan on November 12, 2022"


Another question asks if they're knock offs because the quality isn't great.


So... I dunno? Is it the product or the source?

The Amazon link in my OP does indeed show “Germany” stamped or engraved on the pliers.
quote:
https://a.co/d/4onLx5Y:

Product information
Technical Details
Manufacturer ‎Knipex Tools
Part Number ‎41 14 250
Item Weight ‎1.23 pounds
Country of Origin ‎China



הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים
 
Posts: 30384 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
Grip-On pliers are the absolute best I have ever used. The release is also perfect, extremely well engineered.

Made in northern Spain, a stone’s throw from Bergara rifles.
 
Posts: 2320 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shiftyvtec:
Locking pliers when I wear out my USA made Visegrip and Craftsman versions.

The link above is the company that I believe bought the old machinery from the USA made original along with hiring some of the former employees. The construction quality is supposed to be way up... along with the price point.
As noted at your link, you better wear them out and replace them soon:

quote:
Unfortunately, despite our best efforts, we have made the difficult decision to exit the locking handle tools business. Our limited remaining inventory of pliers and clamps will be available for purchase until sold out.


__________________________________

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/
 
Posts: 6150 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of shiftyvtec
posted Hide Post
^^^^

Man, that's too bad. Admittedly, I didn't read the page I linked after I verified the manufacturer.

I rarely use locking pliers anymore but it's sad to see the quality versions dissappear.
 
Posts: 1568 | Location: Near Austin, TX | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
Irwin owns VISE GRIP these days they are still good to go. Same with Craftsman VG. I would take them over a made in germany over priced twice the cost vice grips. I was a professional abuser of vice grips.

 
Posts: 2671 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    KNIPEX locking pliers

© SIGforum 2024