SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Who do you use for dental insurance
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who do you use for dental insurance Login/Join 
I Am The Walrus
posted
The Tricare dental program isn't very good.

Searching for a dental insurance plan for the family and myself. Just 3 of us.

Posts: 13148 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
Anthem for us.

Posts: 1958 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Delta

Posts: 32558 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mastercard or Visa in my case.

Posts: 1182 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
Delta high option. I'm not familiar with a lot of policies, but I get told everywhere I use it "Whoa, you have really good insurance." I dropped to the standard option this year, but it still looks excellent.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3519 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Anthem.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36845 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I chose Delta from my employer, but our dentist has a membership program that was about 15% more expensive last year. Next year it may be better to skip the insurance and go direct.

Posts: 2371 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Because of the employer I'm retired from it's Anthem. My wife is Cigna. Dental Insurance is damned expensive!

Posts: 462 | Location: Greenfield, IN | Registered: December 29, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I put $30.00 in an envelope every month.
It pays for a yearly check up an then some.

You might need to put $100.00 , at least.

Four years ago I had to pay $360.00 from the envelope and $166.00 , out of pocket.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54711 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am looking at Cigna through USAA.

It is probably not the best plan but some is better than none.

Since I moving back to a drilling unit I am eligible for Tricare for my insurance needs but I do know that the dental program sucks.

I was really happy with Metlife but you know how the government is: Why have something thats effective and works!!!!

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
United Concordia through work...it seems to be accepted at most places.

Posts: 1977 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Aetna through Tricare. No complaints.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
My dentist has a plan called "Denvantage".

$360 per person up front, that gets you 2 cleanings and annual x-rays at no charge, plus 10% off any other work all year.

Don't come out all that far ahead, but it makes more sense for me than traditional insurance.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15274 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I don't. I pay for any needed work.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tsmccull:
Mastercard or Visa in my case.
Yeah, my dental insurance is Ye Olde Chequebook.

Posts: 45401 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Career Health Insurance Finance guy here - if your Employer is subsidizing a plan then purchase through them if not I would not buy dental insurance but budget for it. Almost all dental plans have an annual limit of $1,000 or $1,500 so in a bad year for you the insurer's losses are capped and in good years the premium is going to exceed your OOP costs. Dental Insurance is priced to between a 70% and 80% ratio, meaning 20 -30% is the Insurers Costs and Profit level, combined. Not as bad as insuring your TV through Best Buy where it is 60% going to those items. The discounts negotiated arent as large in Dental Insurance as with Health Insurance so you may pay the dentist more than an insurer but you eliminate the middle man.

Posts: 163 | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Delta

Posts: 13819 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob RI
posted Hide Post
Delta

Posts: 4521 | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Perception:
Delta high option. I'm not familiar with a lot of policies, but I get told everywhere I use it "Whoa, you have really good insurance." I dropped to the standard option this year, but it still looks excellent.

I too have Delta High and am told it's a good plan. The billing/insurance lady at my dentist wasn't falling out of her chair blown away about it, but I did ask if Delta High is a good plan and she didn't hesitate to say it is. She mentioned one other (I forget which one) that is a good plan too. My point is, maybe ask your dentist's billing/insurance person what the best plan is for your particular circumstance. If they're experienced and friendly, they might have some things to think about.

EDIT: I chose Delta High plan when it became available, what, 1-2yrs ago because I KNEW I'd have big dental bills coming soon, but it may be better coverage than some might need and Delta offers 3 (I think) plan levels of coverage. I'm 67 and wear a conventional upper denture and have 10 remaining natural lower teeth. On FEB 9th, I will have those 10 lower teeth extracted, get 9 implants (5 upper and 4 lower) for snap in dentures. Then in 3mos, if the implants "take", the implants will have post or abutments installed. SOoooo ... conventional transitional dentures, extractions, implants, abutments, finalized snap in dentures upper and lower ... all adds up to a pretty hefty price tag and I need the best plan Delta has to offer. Concerning all this work I'm having done and the expense, my dentist noted, "Consider it buying a new car."

Posts: 4729 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and every one of them words rang true and glowed like burnin’ coal.
Picture of TannerBoyl
posted Hide Post
I have Delta Dental. When I first signed up (20 years ago), I chose the low option to save a few bucks. Within a few months, I needed a root canal and regretted that decision. I now subscribe to the high option. While it is good, it isn’t amazing. I have cleanings three times a year and end up paying $70-100 out of pocket for the extra cleaning. Not bad, but not amazing.

Posts: 4594 | Location: Redondo Beach, California | Registered: February 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post