SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need recommendations for outdoor decorative lighting
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need recommendations for outdoor decorative lighting Login/Join 
posted
I have a large outdoor deck in my back yard - and it has two mid-sized trees on each side of the deck.

I want to put strings of decorative lights in the trees - just like Christmas lights. In fact, exactly light white/clear Christmas lights. But I worry the typical poor quality of the Christmas tree lights you buy as Christmas decorations would not stand up well to being outdoors all year around.

Does anyone have any recommendations on lights that would last at least a couple of years outdoors all year around? I know a lot of resorts and downtown areas have these types of lights installed in trees or shrubs - what do they use that lasts long in an outdoor year-round environment? Should I use LED lights or regular lights? Where would I find this type of lighting of decent quality?

Posts: 944 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: February 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No place to go and
all day to get there
Picture of JWF
posted Hide Post
If I remember, I came across these people while looking for rope light. I never ordered from them so I know nothing else but I still get mail from them. They do seem to have a good selection of outdoor lighting.

yardenvy.com

Just another day in paradise.

NRA
Georgia Carry

Posts: 1324 | Location: NW GA | Registered: September 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
JWF,

WOW! I never heard of this site (yardenvy.com) before. Now the trouble is figuring out which of the choices is best for my situation. Lots to look at! Thank you for the recommendation!

Posts: 944 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: February 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My first set of led rope lights came from Lowes.

They were white they lasted about 6 or 7 years.

Lowes didn't have ones to match when I went back so I went to Amazon and bought these.

My wife decided that she wanted a warmer yellow warmer tone this time and we bought these

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod..._title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They are very bright and very yellow.

They also have white and multi colored

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I contacted Environmental Lights (https://www.environmentallights.com) when I went about putting LEDs under my kitchen cabinets. They were GREAT to work with; I'd absolutely go back to them for my next such project.

They work with retail and scenic setups --> it might be worth a call to see about their outdoor products.

God bless America.

Posts: 13505 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bonfire
posted Hide Post
I have had these hung for about three years. They are up all year round and have had zero issue.

I have had good luck with Hampton Bay low voltage lights also.

https://www.costco.com/Feit-48'-LED-Filament-String-Light-Set.product.100405061.html

In war, truth is the first casualty. Aeschylus Greek tragic dramatist (525 BC - 456 BC)

Posts: 464 | Location: North of Seattle | Registered: March 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post