SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How Do I Keep My Headlight Covers From Getting Hazy??
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How Do I Keep My Headlight Covers From Getting Hazy?? Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
I’ve got an 07 Civic sedan as my daily driver and the headlight covers have gotten really bad over the past couple years with going hazy and cutting light output way way down.

I bought a kit a couple years ago with a polishing cream and buffer drill attachment that seemed to work for a couple months, then they’d get hazy again. I read that the trick is to clear coat the lenses after polishing, so I did a good polish job and got them nice and clear then taped off and put on 3 good coats of clear coat from a rattle can.

That was maybe 15 months ago but I realized my lenses are getting very hazy again! What the hell is going on? How do I make this permanent?

No, replacing the headlight assemblies at $250 each is not an option.

Help!

Posts: 33832 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
I had clear protective film installed on our new work truck. They told us that the film would also protect headlight lenses from chips and hazing.

1 year in, 35,000 miles, and they still look like new. Probably a bit too soon to know how well it really works.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15723 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I use Flitz, terry towel and 5 minutes per light. It’s good for at least a couple of years. I’m good with that. YMMV.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12734 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
Howdy neighbor! If the yellowing is not caused by moisture condensing on the inside over the years...

You can get the infomercial restore products.
You can try the toothpaste hack.
Bar Keepers polish will be similar. See youTube
You may wish to prolong the effects by applying wax after the last 2.

Methinks that these are temporary fix for the abrasions caused by 10s of thousands of miles.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2009 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
Try clear vinyl.

Another option is PIAA bulbs to compensate for the poor light transmission.

Both for the win.

Posts: 5147 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Use UV blocking clear coat, and then use UV blocking paste wax a couple times a year. It's the UV light rays that is causing the headlights to get hazy.

ARman

Posts: 3153 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I use toothpaste and a microfiber cloth on a hook and loop D/A sander. Spritz some water on the lens and cloth, apply a little minty fresh toothpaste and rock/roll. Cheap and easy. Stays clear for 6-8 months before I see a hint of haze starting again.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29713 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 159 | Registered: December 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
I use toothpaste and a microfiber cloth on a hook and loop D/A sander. Spritz some water on the lens and cloth, apply a little minty fresh toothpaste and rock/roll. Cheap and easy. Stays clear for 6-8 months before I see a hint of haze starting again.

I have the hook and loop sander (and toothpaste), do you have a spec on themicrofiber cloth?

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I just hit the lenses with a cleaner wax (polish and wax in one) at every wash.

Posts: 13049 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:

I have the hook and loop sander (and toothpaste), do you have a spec on themicrofiber cloth?

Ask and ye shall receive...Big Grin

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29713 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:.... Ask and ye shall receive...Big Grin

Much thanks, I won't receive until tomorrow morning, there's an O"Reilly about a mile away.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Originally I had bought some random kit from AutoZone that had a buffer tool you attach to a drill. It looked awesome when I was done, but a couple months later it started coming back. The next kit I bought was RainX brand and had a couple kinds of sand paper along with a clear coat that you add after it is cleaned up. That was 2 years ago and still looks like new. I really think it was that finishing bottle of sealant that is keeping it nice.

Posts: 3118 | Location: Germantown, TN | Registered: June 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
I'd bet the age of the lenses has something to do with it. Plastics break down. That said, my 5 year old 70k truck headlamp lenses still look new.

I rarely wash them. Never a "car wash" Only washed with plenty of soap and water.

At an oil change, the kid checked off on his "inspection" Roll Eyes hazy headlamp lenses, recommend polishing". When in fact they were covered with 2400 miles of road grime. GLAD the kid didn't do me any favors and wipe them off with a soft towel.

My ex-'s '08 Subaru has headlamps which are unrecoverable. The discoloration is in the plastic.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I think I've read it's the UV in sunlight that causes them to deteriorate. That my be true. We have a couple of older vehicles that stay garaged when not in use and their headlight covers look almost new.

Posts: 26922 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Plenty of headlight sets on EBay for under $100. Add a bead of silicone at the seam and cover with a clear film on the front and you’ll be good.
Once they start to haze it is more of a fight to keep them from hazing I have found.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25430 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
The best way is to clean them thoroughly. You can use a store bought kit, compound, toothpaste, etc. Wash them with dish soap and then spray them with a UV rated clear coat for a more permanent solution. If you keep them waxed regularly, that should do the same but requires upkeep.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7072 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JohnCourage
posted Hide Post
My wife has a 2004 4Runner and it has huge front lenses. Every 6 months I polish with Klasse or really any mildly aggressive polish to clear them up. Then I apply a polymer sealant. I use Optimum Opti-Seal the same thing I use to seal the paint. Works great for 4-6 months then I repeat.

JC

Posts: 1272 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
Polish with any of the above, then regular application of Plexus....

Plexus

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
My dad did one of the headlight restore kits on his headlights & taillights on his ~02-04 Silverado.
Followed it up with a coat (maybe multiple coats, I don't recall) of clear coat, once the lenses were cleaned up to his satisfaction.

A couple years later & they're still looking great.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15346 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post