SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Nother cell ph. question. Flip phone.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nother cell ph. question. Flip phone. Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
A little back ground. Have an elderly family member who needs a phone. We have tried a smart phone but it just does not work. Yes it is a generational issue.
Ordered a a flip ph. from Verizon. Believe it was a Nokia. It is small and is not a great fit for them. It is the only flip style ph. that verizon offers.
Wondering about a jitterbug from best buy. Hearing it can be added to a verizon plan, but do not know the details. Any help or suggestions would be great.
Access to retailers and making visits to retailers is a challenge.
Really need a ph that is easy to use. bigger in physical size is a plus. Maybe texting. Hearing impaired is an issue and needs to be used on speaker mode. So obviously there are challenges.
Again, needs to be on the verizon network if possible. But also hearing about consumer cellular?

Thanks guys.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19674 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:

Maybe texting.
Texting can be done on a flip phone, but it's a bit of a challenge.

Here's a Verizon compatible simple phone for seniors in a smartphone form factor that might be good, but I don't think it supports texting:

https://www.alzstore.com/RAZ-M...arriers-p/0039-v.htm

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31341 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Sunbeam wireless makes flip phones for Mennonites.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Low Country, SC. | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Jitterbug Flip2 - It is compatible w/ Verizon. Lively offers their own cell service plans using the Verizon network, but you 'may' be able to get it unlocked (from BestBuy?) and add it to an existing Verizon plan.

https://www.lively.com/phones/jitterbug-flip2/

Lively also offers a senior targeted simplified smart phone (Jitterbug Smart4) that 'may' be an option as well.

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 9411 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had my dad on a T-Mobile prepaid plan. $15/month. There are several basic flips on Amazon. I got him this one as it has big buttons.

https://a.co/d/hwmJ1bl

Posts: 2217 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bigbuck5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aglifter:
Sunbeam wireless makes flip phones for Mennonites.

They also have a talk to text option as well as navigation and weather you can add on. Here is their website. https://sunbeamwireless.com

Posts: 371 | Location: RGV Texas | Registered: January 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What about a smart phone connected to a smart speaker like an Amazon Echo. Using voice controls she could probably get away with never actually touching the phone. She could just say Alexa call ORC. Alexa text ORC pick up vitamins.

Posts: 5463 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
My dad just bought new Kyocera flip phone from Verizon. They offer a standard one and a ruggedized one. Both will connect to his hearing aids via Bluetooth. He bought the ruggedized one which seems big to me. Kyocera 4811 I believe.

Posts: 11544 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post