SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question about home use PC.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question about home use PC. Login/Join 
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted
Which is the best choice for the power options on a new home use Dell PC: should I set it to sleep during periods of inactivity, or power off each time? There is no Hibernate option. I have had laptops and a Dell All-In-One previously, none of which seemed to last very long.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I have my Dell PC running on a UPS that monitors power and estimates costs. I never shut it off, and the estimated cost of power is about $2-3 per month. I do have monitor set to snooze after an hour.

Sure the PC may wear out a little sooner, but the convenience of it always being ready right now, not after booting and installing some random update, is worth it to me.

It's 3 years old and just a basic Inspiron that I paid $330 for. IOW, at $100/year pretty disposable.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12453 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I turn mine off after I'm done using it.

It takes seconds to power back on, the computer is safer from power spikes, wear and tear, and malicious attacks. I also start with a clean computer each time I use it, with all of the memory empty of all the software that was running the last time.

But, I have a fast computer.

Posts: 13051 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I'll shut it down a couple times a week is all. I also set it to sleep after a half hour of non-use. No issues with this procedure.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I shut it down completely.
I have an SSD so boot up is nearly instantaneous. I also only use it a handful of times a week.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25452 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
What would be your primary reasoning to do either?
Power consumption?
Longevity?
Performance?

Posts: 22952 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
posted Hide Post
Longevity and performance.

BIDEN SUCKS.

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
Longevity and performance.

Then turn it off.

Longevity effect would be minor as computers are built to go 24/7.

Performance effect would be marginally better as it would combat any memory leak issues (if any).

Additionally, you could configure the power settings in the control panel (Windows) for a hybrid of settings and the advanced setting for this can manipulate many items.

A plug for leaving it on would be the speed to logon and that updates can be configured to download/install in down or after hours.

Posts: 22952 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
My desktop runs 24/7, but I do a complete shutdown about once a week, as recommended by my best friend, who is computer savvy. The monitor display goes to screensaver mode after 10 minutes inactivity (probably not necessary with LED monitors, but I do it anyway). The computer runs off a UPS.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I usually only use my Dell PC one time a day. I turn it on....use it....and turn it off!! That has worked great for me.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
posted Hide Post
Presently, I'm putting the monitor and desktop to sleep after 10 minutes. I do a restart twice a week. I guess I'll stay with that.

BIDEN SUCKS.

Picture of K0ZZZ
posted Hide Post
If you want it to last forever, leave it on 24x7.

Like all electronics, it's the power on/off cycles that actually causes physical stress to the components. Going from cold to hot to cold again, the initial burst of electricity, all that is what's not good for the equipment.

... Chad

http://shotworkspro.com - Much better than scrap paper! Use 'Take5' to get 5 bucks off.

Posts: 770 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post