SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Those that have taken their vacation of a lifetime step inside please
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Those that have taken their vacation of a lifetime step inside please Login/Join 
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
My wife and I are currently in Denmark, last week we spent a couple days in Berlin. It has been very rare when we come across someone who does not speak Engrish. Most younger folks speak it without an accent, you would swear they were Americans. They appear to be very happy to show off their English skills! Up here, just the architecture os something to behold. This, I would consider once in a lifetime. I still would not take it over the USA. From what I have witnessed they don't have a snowflake problem as we have.

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
My wife and I have done 20 something countries just in the 3.5 years we've known each other. We've done notable trips to Iceland, Vietnam and Cambodia, France and Italy, Spain and Portugal, Croatia and Slovenia, Kenya etc.

First, leave the country. Seriously, it sounds like you haven't traveled internationally yet. It's a great big world out there, and you should see some of it. Not just to put your life into perspective, but there's also something very magical about seeing just how different people can be, yet altogether so very similar.

Second, language barriers are ok. English is almost universally understood everywhere that a rookie int'l traveler like you could make it to (you aren't paddling into the Amazon without a guide), but it's not the end of the world either if you meet someone that didn't speak English. Smile, be polite, gesture, laugh. You'll be okay.

Overall my most epic trip? The African Safari in Kenya. Treated like royalty by people who are truly grateful to have you as guests, experiencing natural beauty and animals that are becoming more and more rare, with a bit of adventure and spectacle built in.

Most natural beauty? Iceland. Truly unique landscape created by both volcanic action and glacial movement. You get dramatic cliffs and waterfalls along side expansive fields of green and ice.

Best historic immersion? Croatia. Walled cities. Stone fortresses jutting out of ocean cliffs. Romans, Greeks, Ottomans, Turks, Hapsburgs...tons of history. Also, lots beautiful islands with clear blue water and sunny days.

Best developing country to visit: Vietnam. The food is phenomenal, and the dollar still carries you a long way. People are nice, and not too crowded with tourists yet.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess it depends on what you're looking for. My family and I were fortunate to live in SE Asia and travel quite a bit while there. My hands down favorite was New Zealand. It was a beautiful country with lots of open space despite being so small. I prefer the South Island, but both are great. Australia is also quite nice, but we preferred New Zealand and it's easier to see more of NZ in a single trip (we did multiple to both countries).

For beach vacations The Maldives was incredible, but you end up staying at a resort, so if you want to truly sample the local culture it's not the best.

Thailand, Vietnam and Cambodia were all culturally incredible and there are great beaches in all three if that's what you're looking for. Japan and China were also very interesting. The advantage of going to Japan and/or China is that they also have Disney...so you could do that for a couple days if you're Disney fanatics. My kids haven't even been to US Disney, just Tokyo and Hong Kong.

My wife and I have also done a little traveling in Europe and I've done a little for work. We really enjoyed everywhere we went, but my favorites were Italy and Germany. I've heard great things about Croatia, Greece, and Spain, but haven't been to any of the three. Norway was beautiful, but very quiet in the one city I visit for work (Stavanger).

If you look at SE Asia, let me know, as we've traveled to nearly every country in the region.

If you want specific info about anywhere...just let me know. Have fun!

Posts: 212 | Registered: April 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
BBQ Sauce for Everyone!
Picture of TKO
posted Hide Post
I always recommend Italy as we enjoyed the food and wine.

Having said that, for a really unique and enjoyable vacation...

https://www.vikingrivercruises...ers/rhine/index.html

You can set your duration and pricepoint as they have quite a few cruises to pick from.

Here in this hemisphere, I tell people to get SCUBA certified and spend a week diving in the Caribbean. Belize, Honduras, Turks, Curacao, Cayman etc.

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

Posts: 8121 | Location: Phoenix AZ | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
We have been all over Europe and some of SE Asia as well as the US. I have to say that the Alaska Cruise was our favorite, followed by Scotland, and the North Shore of Oahu third. Bangkok is on our list as well but it is a really long haul.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
If you go to Europe check Viator. They offer day trips, guided tours, etc. We used their services in Italy and the trips were fantastic as were the guides.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8753 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
You're in Florida, so I'm going to suggest two really nice places in The Bahamas. You won't spend as much on travel, shorter flights, more time for the actual vacation.

Many people think of Nassau or Freeport when they think of The Bahamas, but there are hundreds of Out Islands. The two that I like best are self-contained resorts where you can relax, have a quiet time, and really be pampered as much as you like.

First up is Kamalame Cay. It's a privately owned cay (small island) just off the east coast of Andros -- the largest island in The Bahamas. The most luxurious place that I have ever been. I flew an airplane on contract for a construction type company, one flight was to this destination. The client picked up the tab for me instead of having me deadhead the airplane back to Orlando and then return a couple days later to pick them up. Absolute luxury in a beach resort setting. Wish I could afford to take my wife there for a week.

The other place that we have been several times, sometimes on our own vacation, sometimes with the client paying, is Stella Maris, toward the north end of Long Island -- the one in The Bahamas, not the one in New York state. More affordable than Kamalame Cay, but still not really cheap.

Either (both) of these places offer all sorts of water activities -- fishing, scuba, snorkeling, etc. Great food at both places. Stella Maris is on a larger island with other settlements so you can explore the island via scooter or rented car.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30677 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I have been to Europe, South Africa, Hawaii, Greenland, all over the lower 48 States and some time up in Canada and AK.

My most memorable week was a trip down from Ketchikan, through the inner passage to Seattle. Mine was on an 80 foot fishing schooner built in 1911. Myself and four friends.

So My vote is an Inner Passage trip. We had a bit more lee way than a cruise; fished, caught crabs, etc as we felt like it. But still....A great trip.

My 2nd favorite trip was the 10 days we drove all over Scotland.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
I guess it depends on how extraordinary you want to make it....this can vary depending on how adventurerous you want to be and how much money you want to spend..

A couple that come to mind...

- Buy a Mercedes, Porsche Audi or the like and do a European Delivery. You'll get the car at a discount and have one hell of a souvenir! The manufacturer's have travel people who can plan the driving/staying/eating for you.

- African Safari...it is an amazing continent and not like anything you've probably ever experienced.

- Take a National Geographic cruise to the Galápagos Islands...amazing

- For something closer to home stay at The Meridian Club in the Turks and Caicos. It's a private island with a 12 room hotel...some of the friendliest people I've ever met with THE best beach in the Caribbean

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6318 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
How about something Disney?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Seriously, if you want to tour in Europe, the "language barrier" is almost non existent in Western Europe. So many people speak English that you won't have a problem. If a tour group makes you more comfortable, then use one, but you really won't need it in The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Italy, Switzerland, and not even France, despite their reputation. I've never been in Spain, but my parents have been, and didn't mention not being able to communicate.

I haven't been to Eastern Europe, but I am betting that even there, you will be okay. English is so common.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife and I love renting the big catamarans out of Soper's Hole, Tortola. Voyage is the best of the rental companies, and the fifty footers are really comfortable. Just sail around the BVI on your own schedule. Beautiful beaches, and always something to do.

Peter Island, in the same neighborhood, is really nice, and laid back.

Or, completely different tack (heh heh) - we spent a week in Prague last November; stayed in an Air bnb apartment that was amazing, right across the street from the Hotel Intercontinental. Great trip - lots to see and do, much within walking distance of the old town square, and Uber for farther excursions. The language barrier, as others have said, does not really exist. Plus, Google Translate is really amazing, both for written and spoken communication. Get out there and see the world!

Posts: 162 | Location: Hartwood, VA | Registered: September 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
How about something Disney?

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin My wife and I spent Saturday night At Boulder Ridge at Disney's Wilderness Lodge.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2571 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
Thanks again for the suggestion.
The Idea of a inclusive resort on one of the islands sounds great however I am not a beach/snorkel/fishing type person. Believe it or not I like to shop when we do the islands when we cruise.
I am not sure what other things we would do. On the Disney cruises their private island is Cast Away Cay, I get off the ship for the 5k and lunch.
The idea of Europe is sounding more appealing. I thought the language barrier would be a problem but it sounds like it is not.
My wife still likes the idea of a Alaska cruise that would include the ship and train combination type tour. That combination looks to be around 9 to 11 days.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2571 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Viking River Cruise. We did one starting in Prague, then down the Danube - Germany, Austria and finished in Hungary (Budapest). Really, really exceptional trip. Ours was about 8 days/nights.

For your trip you could start in Amsterdam and cross Europe via river to the Black Sea. About 2 weeks.

Top rate service on the ship, less than 200 passengers, excellent food, tours or free time as you choose. Different place every day but you don’t have to pack up and unpack like you would traveling to different hotels.

Posts: 2132 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
I did the Alaska cruise last year, and it was special, particularly the excusions and majestic scenery. Still a cruise ship though.

I've sailed on 2 tall ships in the Caribbean. Once with the old Windjammer in the Lewards, more recently with Star Clippers in the Grenadines, a really first class operation. Those are the most memorable vacations we've ever taken. Unique ports not accessible to most, few passengers, and sailing the trades.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
We’ve done Hawaii, Canada, France, and cruises in addition to travel over much of the US but I’d give another big +1 for Ireland. We went for a week in 2014, rented a car, and ended up driving about 1,200 miles around the southern half of the island. We got some great recommendations here on the forum and had a blast. While language isn’t a big barrier in much of Western Europe, it may be comforting for first time international travelers to have one less thing to worry about.

Let us know what you decide.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2106 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redleg06
posted Hide Post
My wife, I, and another couple rented a 32' Nordic Tug out of Juneau for ten days. Just the four of us and we dubbed the trip, "Eagles, Bears, and Whales: Oh My!" That was back in the mid 1990's and that company is no longer in business. There are, however, other options ... especially if you don't want to drive the boat or cook.

http://www.myursamajor.com/

"Cedat Fortuna Peritis"

Posts: 1976 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Our trip of a lifetime was one that included proposing to my wife at the New Years Eve fireworks in Zurich Switzerland. We traveled the day after Christmas and stayed each night in a nice hotel in Zurich. We bought travel passes for trains, trams, boats, and museums practically everywhere in Switzerland. We’d travel by rail to different cities like Neuhausen, Lucerne, Bern, Interlaken and explore the city on our own. We ate where we pleased including in the trains. We even visited the Sig and Swiss Arms factories and the Rhine River Falls. We want to bring our daughters next time. We also did some research and gathered a few ideas about where we wanted to eat and visit. Shopped Bahnhofstraße, toured so much history and loved the Alps.

Posts: 6011 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SeaCliff
posted Hide Post
My favorite.
14 day Hawaii from Long Beach, Ca and back.

19 day Med with 2 extra day at start in Venice to Barcelona

17 day Panama Canal from San Diego

Would love to do;
28-Day Hawaii, Tahiti & Marquesas

Posts: 1894 | Location: San Diego | Registered: October 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post