SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Help Me: Truck Buying Dilemma
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help Me: Truck Buying Dilemma Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Welp, I ended up stopping at a dealer in the neighboring town today just poking around. They had a 2015 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L EcoBoost on the lot. 64K miles, one-owner local trade. Bought it from them new, had all the service done there, and traded out of it.

I took it for a spin while they checked over the Equinox. I sat down with the guy and he shot me straight: $32,995 on the F150, and they would give me $12,000 (that’s twelve thousand American dollars) for the Equinox. I was stoked about that.

After tax, title, license and fees, it was about $22,850 to drive the Ford off the lot. Told him I was hoping to get closer to $20K financed and he got down to $22K on the road. Local rates were good, 2.99% for 48 months. I plan to pay it off in 36.

The options on this truck are pretty much exactly what I was after as far as the infotainment, heated seats, etc. and in 4 years, I will probably have around 115K miles on it.

I was really impressed with the salesman (he was actually the sales manager) I dealt with. Zero bullshit, no games where he tried to get me into a certain monthly payment, no add-on frills. Our negotiation was legitimately 5 minutes. Glad to be done with the Equinox and into something more solid.

May our caskets be made of hundred-year oak, and may we plant those trees tomorrow.

Posts: 815 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: January 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
congrats, I think you did yourself proud. I like to see young American's buy pickups. Every man needs a pickup. Even some girls need one. Great job!

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19761 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I think those are sharp looking trucks. How does the power feel with that Eco-boost?

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29909 | Location: Norris Lake, TN | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
Nice looking truck!

"Ford" introduced the first factory option parts for the pick-up over 100 years ago. The should understand how to do it.

Posts: 9874 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The new Tundra would be a solid investment but they're not going to budge from the msrp and most likely it'll be thousands over the msrp.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3633 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is a great looking truck and you made a heck of a deal. Congratulations!

Posts: 456 | Location: Kansas | Registered: August 28, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Very nice truck, and sounds like a solid deal (especially in this day and age). No, really, nice wheels!

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6391 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
As Extraordinary
as Everyone Else
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
When I read the OP’s comments the first thought that came into my head was get an F-150 with the 2.7 engine. My older son had one (until someone t boned him) and it was great and got decent mileage to boot.

Congrats on a well bought truck and trade in.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6482 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Cool!

Even came with decent tires, four wheel drive, and a tonneau.

Shave the emblems and you're all set.

Posts: 9423 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Curious, how did you get into an Equinox in the first place?

What did you cross shop it with, and what was the deciding factor? Maybe brand loyalty?

Sometimes I see cars and I just kinda scratch my head as to why anyone would buy it over it's competitors. A legitimate, "I wonder why anyone would buy that? There are so many better cars out there for the money..."

Posts: 13064 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
That's a great looking truck. 4X4 as well. I'm also partial to gray vehicles. I've had 3 Tacomas, and one 4Runner, all some sort of gray. You should be able to get minimum 150K - 175k miles, probably more without major issues. Tires, shocks, battery, tune ups, oil changes, alignment and maybe exhaust if you drive on salted roads could come into play. All normal maintenance items. Enjoy your new ride!

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think you did very well. Go build a new one on the Ford web site and be amazed at current prices.

I have a 2016 F150 XLT with the V8. At 55K miles, it has only needed oil changes but two recalls for seatbelts and something else. It gets around 20-23 MPG and more on road trips.

Mine has the aluminum body, which is nice.

Enjoy.

----------------------------------------------------
Dances with Crabgrass

Posts: 2183 | Location: East Virginia | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Congrats
I had a 2016 XLT 2.7 EcoBoost
Never had any drivetrain problems with it, but had a persistent squeak/rattle form the panoramic sunroof that the dealer couldn't get fixed after 4 tips in.
Sounds like a pretty good deal for the truck & mileage.

Looks like a 302A package truck, if I'm remembering the XLT trim correctly, so top level on the XLT.
Only major difference between the 15 & 16 is the radio.
2015 used the older Sync2 (which I have in our Flex)
2016 used Sync3

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 16011 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:

What did you cross shop it with, and what was the deciding factor? Maybe brand loyalty?

Sometimes I see cars and I just kinda scratch my head as to why anyone would buy it over it's competitors. A legitimate, "I wonder why anyone would buy that? There are so many better cars out there for the money..."
Maybe they were all out of Aztecs.

Posts: 11696 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:

Maybe they were all out of Aztecs.

I laughed out loud at this. Thanks for that!

quote:

Well, in 2015, I was 22 and fresh out of the police academy and making decent money so I bought a brand new Mazda 3. It was actually a really nice car and I enjoyed driving it, but it was small, and my wife had (and still has) a Malibu so we had nothing capable of hauling anything of decent size, which wasn’t a problem because we didn’t have much in the way of space.

In 2017 we had moved and were living in a townhome. We decided a small SUV was more practical than my little car, so I traded it. Wife always had good luck with her Chevy, as did her dad. I grew up without any real brand loyalty but I thought the Equinox probably fit the bill. In hindsight, a RAV4 or CRV would have been the right choice, but the Equinox was cheaper, it only had 14K miles, and it was there:

Don’t get me wrong, it was a good car for me. I drove the balls off it (105K miles in 4.5 years) and it was largely problem free, and it was paid off. But I guess I’ll say at 24 with little experience buying cars, I didn’t really know a lot better.

May our caskets be made of hundred-year oak, and may we plant those trees tomorrow.

Posts: 815 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: January 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ya' done good.
I'd have gone a different way, but you made a wise choice and got a fair deal.

Posts: 387 | Registered: January 07, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Revolution37:

Don’t get me wrong, it was a good car for me. I drove the balls off it (105K miles in 4.5 years) and it was largely problem free, and it was paid off. But I guess I’ll say at 24 with little experience buying cars, I didn’t really know a lot better.

Thanks for the detail. I appreciate it.

It's one of those things you want to know, but can't really ask someone who currently has one without being rude.

There are many, many things to complain about living in California...but having plentiful clean, rust free, used cars to pick from is not one of them.

Nice truck, by the way!

Posts: 13064 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That 2.7 ecoboost is quick. Enjoy that F150.

Posts: 3648 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just be aware that Ecoboost motor will cost, guessing, 14-16,000 dollars to replace. Ford will probably specify a 15,000 mile oil change interval because they like selling high dollar engines to suckers who fall for that. So just ignore that 15,000 mile recommendation and get your oil changed every 5000 miles, this will ensure your engine lasts a long time. Also be aware that it's an engine with cam phasers and a timing chain or belt with a 150,000 mile lifespan. So start shoving a 20 in a jar every week to provide cash for a Major service at 120,000 miles to replace items like the timing belts, water pumps, and clutches in the transmission.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5770 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
IIRC the 2.7 recommended 10k miles oil changes.
I did mine between 5000-7500 because I was towing a heavyish (more of a sail) cargo trailer on occasion.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 16011 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post