SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Trump Presidency : Year II
Page 1 ... 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 ... 308

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
The Trump Presidency : Year II Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Odd they did not put a name - like Andrew McCabe - in the headline...

https://www.washingtonpost.com...m_term=.00e1d4c23790

Report said to fault FBI’s former No. 2 for approving improper media disclosure, misleading inspector general

By Matt Zapotosky and Karoun Demirjian
March 1 at 10:54 PM Email the author

The Justice Department inspector general is preparing a damaging report on former FBI deputy director Andrew McCabe, alleging he was responsible for approving an improper media disclosure, two people familiar with the matter said. One of the people said McCabe will also be accused of misleading investigators about his actions.

The report is a part of Inspector General Michael Horowitz’s broad review of the FBI and Justice Department’s handling of the investigation into Hillary Clinton’s use of a private email server while she was secretary of state.

During that work, inspector general’s investigators found that McCabe had authorized the disclosure of information to the Wall Street Journal for an October 2016 story that examined feuding inside the FBI and Justice Department around the handling of a separate investigation into Clinton’s family foundation, two people familiar with the case said.

Those probing the matter believe that McCabe, who stepped down in January, misled them when they initially inquired about the subject, though one person familiar with the forthcoming report said McCabe disputes that he intentionally misled investigators.

It is unclear how McCabe is said to have misled investigators. The inspector general’s findings on the media disclosure were first reported by the New York Times.

Through a representative, McCabe declined to comment. A spokesman for the inspector general also declined to comment.

[FBI’s Andrew McCabe leaving deputy director job amid internal investigation]

Horowitz’s report is almost certain to be used by President Trump, who has railed against leaks and made McCabe a particular target of his ire in recent months. McCabe, 49, briefly served as acting FBI director after President Trump fired James B. Comey from the job, and much like the man he succeeded, McCabe soon became a lightning rod in the political battles over the FBI, Clinton and special counsel Robert S. Mueller III’s investigation into whether the Trump campaign coordinated with Russia to influence the 2016 election.

The 2016 Wall Street Journal report came just as the FBI had reopened the Clinton email investigation on the eve of the presidential election — a matter that was separate from the Clinton Foundation case but had parallels in the way it was fraught with politics.

The Journal’s story was notable for the level of detail it contained about internal law enforcement debates, and its revelation of specific information about an ongoing criminal case was considered by the inspector general to be particularly problematic. It presents McCabe as a complicated figure — one who at times is seen by those lower in the bureau as standing in the way of the Clinton Foundation investigation, though he also seems to stand up to Justice Department leaders.

The Journal reported that McCabe retorted to a Justice Department official upset to learn of steps the FBI had taken in the Clinton Foundation investigation, “Are you telling me that I need to shut down a validly predicated investigation?” That would contradict any attempt by Trump or the GOP to claim that he was favoring the Democratic presidential candidate.

The Journal’s story was written by Devlin Barrett, now a reporter at The Washington Post. Spokesmen for the Journal did not return an email message. Recently released text messages from an FBI agent and FBI lawyer involved in the Clinton email case show that two days before the story was published, the lawyer, Lisa Page, and the FBI’s top spokesman, Michael Kortan, were on the phone with Barrett for an extended conversation.

Page worked in the FBI general counsel’s office and with McCabe, and she was briefly detailed to Mueller’s investigation into whether the Trump campaign coordinated with Russia to influence the 2016 election. An FBI spokeswoman declined to comment, and Page’s lawyer did not respond to messages Thursday night.

Kortan, who has since left the FBI, could not immediately be reached for comment.

Background briefings with high-level government officials are common in Washington, particularly when reporters already have information and agencies hope to fill in the gaps on limited, and potentially misleading, facts. But law enforcement officials are generally instructed not to reveal ongoing criminal investigations.

While the inspector general uncovered allegations specific to McCabe during his broader look at the Clinton email case, his report on the FBI official is not likely to be the only one the work produces. Horowitz is also examining broad allegations of misconduct involving Comey, the public statement he made recommending that the case be closed without charges and his decision on the eve of the election to reveal to Congress that the FBI had resumed its work.

Horowitz has said publicly he is going to release that report in March or April.

It was not immediately clear whether Comey knew about McCabe’s alleged authorization to disclose information to the media. Asked in May 2017 at a congressional hearing whether he had “ever been an anonymous source in news reports about matters relating to the Trump investigation or the Clinton investigation” or if he had “ever authorized someone else at the FBI to be an anonymous source in news reports about the Trump investigation or the Clinton investigation,” Comey replied, “Never” and “No.”

Late last month, Comey defended the man he picked to be his top deputy, writing on Twitter that McCabe, “stood tall over the last 8 months, when small people were trying to tear down an institution we all depend on. He served with distinction for two decades.”

In May, after Comey’s firing, Trump asked McCabe in an Oval Office meeting whom he had voted for in the 2016 election, and vented over donations McCabe’s wife, who ran as a Democrat for a seat in the Virginia legislature, had received from the political action committee of Terry McAuliffe.

McAuliffe, then the governor of Virginia, is an ally of Clinton, and McCabe, after his wife’s loss in the race, would go on to supervise the probe into Clinton’s use of a private email server.

In the months that followed that conversation, Trump repeatedly took aim at McCabe in private and on Twitter, asking why his attorney general had not removed him from his post and remarking in December that the then-No. 2 official was “racing the clock to retire with full benefits.”

McCabe had long planned to retire March 18, when he became eligible to receive his benefits, but in late January, he surprised the bureau when he abruptly stepped down. The move came after a private meeting in which FBI Director Christopher A. Wray expressed concern to McCabe about what the inspector general had found.

“My conviction to adhering to process is similarly matched by my conviction to holding people accountable,’’ Wray wrote later in a message to staff that thanked McCabe for his “years of dedicated, selfless and brave service to the FBI and the American people.”

McCabe is still expected to formally retire in March. It was not immediately clear whether the inspector general’s report would affect that.

Ellen Nakashima and Sari Horwitz contributed to this report.

===================================================================================

(From Sigmund) This is one of the best comments, most others are the usual mindless liberal BS.

This story must be severely gut wrenching to the liberal reporters and editors at Washington Post. For months they, their corrupt columnists and the other major news media in America (except for Fox) have tried to ignore, look the other way, cover up, and submerge this story. Now it appears the official Inspector General of the Justice Department will force it into the news.

The political activity and bias of Mueller's so-called investigation team is coming out, and not even all the liberal media can stop it. Fox should get a whole string of Emmies and a Pulitzer--especially Hannity---and the Washington Post should have a new Hollywood movie made about how it ignores the real stories these days and sacrifices public knowledge in favor of its ever leftward editorial slant.

Posts: 15908 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Report This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
Every Trump voter who now doubts him should spend 5 minutes a day listening to Chuck Schumer. That alone should do it. If it doesn't, add 5 minutes of Nancy Pelosi to the tonic. If that still doesn't do it, you have a really bad case of political confusion, and you need to add in 5 minutes of Hillary Clinton. (This should only be done as a last resort, as it might kill you if it doesn't cure you.)

Seriously: Pay attention to what is out there. That is the alternative.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11108 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I do have to wonder at this point- do some of you- after all you've seen- still have no clue as to how Donald Trump operates?

Stop giving such weight to off-the-cuff remarks, and pay attention to the man's actions.

Posts: 107612 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
Those who freak out when they hear Trump say some of the things he says clearly haven't paid any attention to how he accomplishes things.

OMG! Our gun rights! He hasn't done a single thing yet. He's working the lefties. Calm down and save your outrage for when he actually does something you disagree with.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15719 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Report This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
Would someone mind explaining why the tariff situation isn't as bad as everyone is making it seem?

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
When the honeymoon seems over, do you guys file for divorce?

Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ackks:
Would someone mind explaining why the tariff situation isn't as bad as everyone is making it seem?

Well... it hasn't happened yet. It may be walked back.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news...er-trumps-presidency

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I do have to wonder at this point- do some of you- after all you've seen- still have no clue as to how Donald Trump operates?

Stop giving such weight to off-the-cuff remarks, and pay attention to the man's actions.

Para, you are absolutely right. After a year I should know better.

Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
RE: JALLEN's post on McCabe misdeads:

We all know lying to the FBI is a felony; what about when the FBI lies to the FBI?

What's the charge?

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

To me, it seems it's because everybody is panicking, forgetting history or making up their own, or lack the courage necessary to run a country.

The one clear example I remember is Harley Davidson, which was saved by imposing tariffs on Japanese imports. It was short-term, and tied to a promise by Harley to improve their product line, which they did.

I also vaguely recall import tariffs used to protect the American auto industry prior to the H-D situation, but don't remember details, and those were eliminated during a world-wide reaction against tariffs before they could be completely effective. Lack of initiative in the US auto industry to take advantage of the tariffs and improve our own products helped kill the tariffs, although they resulted in several foreign car companies building US production plants.

Tariffs only work if the protected industries take advantage of the breathing room they create. I heard a pundit on Fox News say that the US producers of steel will increase their prices by 10%, and if they do this rather than developing relationships with the US end-users, the tariffs will fail. I don't see Trump letting this happen.

As to the worries of retaliation, specifically against the agriculture sector, that has happened in the past and may well happen as a result of next Tuesday's announcement. Ag has a generations-long history of reliance on government controls and handouts, and it's something that Trump will have to address.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9161 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Report This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
We saw you same naysayers during the election. Trump wasn't my first choice at all. Guess what, he proved himself by his actions. He has beaten the liberals at their own games EVERY SINGLE TIME. Not one thing has stuck to him.

I am the most politically relaxed I've been in 10 years. I don't even pay attention to the news and hear 99% of it from SIGforum. My signature is still accurate.

I am a man of faith and this helps when I get anxious about things that are happening.

Philippians 4:6-7
6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:

We all know lying to the FBI is a felony; what about when the FBI lies to the FBI?

What's the charge?

RMD

Incest?

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9161 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Report This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
When the honeymoon seems over, do you guys file for divorce?

I'm trying to understand the situation without relying on politicians or the media.

quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:

To me, it seems it's because everybody is panicking, forgetting history or making up their own, or lack the courage necessary to run a country.

The one clear example I remember is Harley Davidson, which was saved by imposing tariffs on Japanese imports. It was short-term, and tied to a promise by Harley to improve their product line, which they did.

I also vaguely recall import tariffs used to protect the American auto industry prior to the H-D situation, but don't remember details, and those were eliminated during a world-wide reaction against tariffs before they could be completely effective. Lack of initiative in the US auto industry to take advantage of the tariffs and improve our own products helped kill the tariffs, although they resulted in several foreign car companies building US production plants.

Tariffs only work if the protected industries take advantage of the breathing room they create. I heard a pundit on Fox News say that the US producers of steel will increase their prices by 10%, and if they do this rather than developing relationships with the US end-users, the tariffs will fail. I don't see Trump letting this happen.

As to the worries of retaliation, specifically against the agriculture sector, that has happened in the past and may well happen as a result of next Tuesday's announcement. Ag has a generations-long history of reliance on government controls and handouts, and it's something that Trump will have to address.

Thank you! I coudln't find any sources that didn't make it seem like the end of the world.

Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:

What's the charge?

RMD

Incest?

Smile

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Report This Post
Resident Knuckledragger
Picture of IndyRob
posted Hide Post
Trump's Tweets are all sleight of hand, while his left hand is getting everyone in an uproar by tweeting, his right hand is signing bills to promote his policies.

How much of his work has gone under the radar that have turned out to be wins?

Don't be a progressive, keep in mind his tweets are a distraction!

Posts: 7358 | Location: Greater Indianapolis Area | Registered: October 14, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe there's hope...

https://www.washingtonpost.com...m_term=.92906c18d346

FBI interviewed top Clinton aide Huma Abedin after saying investigation of her boss had concluded

By Matt Zapotosky
March 2 at 9:44 AM Email the author

The FBI interviewed top Hillary Clinton aide Huma Abedin around the holidays last winter — more than a month and a half after the politically charged investigation into Clinton’s email practices had seemed to conclude for a second time, according to people familiar with the probe.

Agents were focused on how Abedin’s and Clinton’s messages ended up on a laptop used by former congressman Anthony Weiner (D-N.Y.), Abedin’s estranged husband, these people said. They considered their look at Clinton complete but still had questions about whether Abedin should have told them about the messages sooner, the people said.

Prosecutors had told Abedin throughout the case that she was a witness, a person familiar with the matter said, and after talking with her for a final time, they would conclude they had no reason to charge her with any crimes. Typically, witnesses are not viewed suspiciously by investigators, unlike those categorized as subjects or targets of an investigation.

The interview is important, though, because it shows that even after the bureau had intimated publicly that its probe into Clinton was over, the FBI knew it still had work to do with one of her close aides. It is also notable for one of the people advocating it: FBI Agent Peter Strzok, a key figure in both the Clinton probe and the investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 election, whose anti-Trump texts have come under scrutiny.

Karen Dunn, Abedin’s lawyer, said, “There was never any suggestion by the government that Huma had done anything wrong. To the contrary, she was told that her full and voluntary cooperation as a witness in their investigation was appreciated. Having done her part to assist the government, Huma is a private citizen now and should be left to live her life in peace.”

A spokeswoman for the FBI declined to comment. The people familiar with the case spoke on the condition of anonymity.

[Computer seized in Weiner probe prompts FBI to take new steps in Clinton email inquiry]

The interview was hinted at in a cryptic text from Strzok made public in recent weeks. The text and others were discovered by the Justice Department’s inspector general, who has been probing how the FBI handled the Clinton email investigation. President Trump and congressional Republicans have seized on the messages — which they say show anti-Trump, pro-Clinton bias from Strzok and FBI lawyer Lisa Page.

The two were, for a time, assigned to both the Clinton email case and the investigation into whether the Trump campaign coordinated with Russia — though Page left the Russia investigation, and Strzok was later removed from it after the texts were discovered.

“Talked with DoJ about HA interview,” Strzok wrote on Dec. 13, 2016. “Told them we had to interview, no immunity. They said they thought that would get counsel to the point of saying she’s either taking the 5th in the Gj or you need to give her immunity. I said that’s fine, please have discussions to get the decision to that point and I would run up the chain.”

DoJ refers to the Department of Justice, the “5th” refers to the Fifth Amendment right of people not to incriminate themselves, and “Gj” refers to the grand jury, which can compel testimony.

People familiar with the Clinton email investigation said HA refers to Abedin. The people said Abedin ultimately sat for an interview without a promise of immunity in the weeks that followed, and agents believed her when she said that she had been previously unaware of how her emails could have ended up on Weiner’s computer — some of which had been forwarded to her husband and others which ended up there because of an automated backup process.

Strzok’s text about Abedin appears to rebut the notion that he was pulling punches for Clinton or her associates, as it shows him advocating for aggressive steps if Abedin’s lawyer were to push for immunity.

The Clinton email case has wound a tortured path through the FBI and Justice Department, and it had drawn significant congressional and other scrutiny by the time Abedin was interviewed. In early July 2016, then-FBI Director James B. Comey announced he was recommending the case be closed without charges, though he slammed Clinton and her aides for their “extremely careless” handling of classified information. He did so without notifying his bosses at the Justice Department.

The move bucked long-standing Justice Department policies. FBI recommendations are supposed to go to prosecutors, not the public, and law enforcement is not supposed to reveal damaging information about people they do not charge. Comey has said he felt compelled to reveal details of the high-profile case to maintain public trust.

Although Attorney General Loretta E. Lynch would later concur with Comey’s recommendation and close the case, the matter was not over. As summer turned to fall, FBI agents investigating Weiner’s explicit messages with a teenager discovered Abedin’s emails on a laptop her husband used. They eventually shared their discovery with the Clinton email team, and on Oct. 28, 2016, Comey wrote to Congress saying the FBI agents had resumed their work.

Comey has testified publicly that he believed it was possible the newly discovered material could be “the golden missing emails that would change this case,” and the team — which had to review hundreds of thousands of messages — initially told him they could not finish their work before the election.

But Comey said custom software allowed them to sift through duplicates, and on Nov. 6 — just two days before the election, he again wrote to Congress to say the FBI hadn’t found anything to change its mind.

“Since my letter, the FBI investigative team has been working around the clock to process and review a large volume of emails from a device obtained in connection with an unrelated criminal investigation. During that process, we reviewed all of the communications that were to or from Hillary Clinton while she was Secretary of State,” Comey wrote. “Based on our review, we have not changed our conclusions that we expressed in July with respect to Secretary Clinton.”

The missive left the impression that the Clinton probe was again finished — though people familiar with the case noted that Comey was careful to add “with respect to Secretary Clinton.” Agents knew they had to do more work, including interviewing Abedin to pin down how precisely her emails ended up on her husband’s computer.

A lawyer for Comey declined to comment.

Soon after the emails were discovered, Abedin had told people she was unsure how her emails could have ended up on the laptop, which she viewed as her husband’s computer. Comey testified in May that Abedin forwarded hundreds of thousands of emails to her husband, though the FBI later corrected that testimony and said most of the emails ended up on Weiner’s laptop as a result of an automated backup, rather than manual forwarding.

The FBI said that two email chains containing classified information were forwarded to Weiner, while 10 more got on his computer because of the backup process.

The FBI had previously interviewed Abedin in April 2016, asking her about the computer systems, email accounts and devices she and Clinton used. They confronted her with forwarded messages, and she said she would often send things from her government account to her other accounts so she could print them.

Investigators also asked about the process by which Abedin turned over her emails to the State Department as it was attempting to obtain records from Clinton’s tenure. Abedin told agents she turned over her laptop and Blackberry to her attorneys and relied on their judgment, according to the FBI’s report on her interview.

The inspector general is expected to complete his review of the Clinton email case in the coming months. Attorney General Jeff Sessions also has ordered federal prosecutors to explore a host of GOP concerns surrounding Clinton and has suggested he would entertain the idea of a second special counsel.

Posts: 15908 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Report This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:

Well... it hasn't happened yet. It may be walked back.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news...er-trumps-presidency

quote:
Donald J. Trump
‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump
4h4 hours ago

When a country Taxes our products coming in at, say, 50%, and we Tax the same product coming into our country at ZERO, not fair or smart. We will soon be starting RECIPROCAL TAXES so that we will charge the same thing as they charge us. $800 Billion Trade Deficit-have no choice!

I just saw his tweet and it makes sense to me, but people across the board are freaking out.

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lbj:
I don't know if true, but here is an article about a potential rope a dope Trump may be pulling about gun control.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-g...n-control-rope-dope/

Float like a butterfly, sting like a Japanese Giant Hornet.

Posts: 15894 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Report This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
quote:
When a country Taxes our products coming in at, say, 50%, and we Tax the same product coming into our country at ZERO, not fair or smart. We will soon be starting RECIPROCAL TAXES so that we will charge the same thing as they charge us. $800 Billion Trade Deficit-have no choice!

This sounds a lot like a president that wants to put America first. Half the country isn't happy with this approach. Of course half the country has their heads up their ass.

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
A chihuahua on cocaine is less skittish that the stock market.