SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    For those interested in astronomy, announcement from the Event Horizon Telescope team 4/10 @0900 EST **first image in 4th post**
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

For those interested in astronomy, announcement from the Event Horizon Telescope team 4/10 @0900 EST **first image in 4th post** Login/Join 
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Thanks. I had not been following that.

As for “theory,” though, scientists use the term to mean something that is different from how it’s been corrupted into general use. There are countless scientific “theories” that have been demonstrated to be true beyond any reasonable doubt.

Yes. My post was a bit of poor levity made mostly out of awe for Einstein himself. My brain does not exist in the same galaxy as Eintein's and it is humbling to see what he was able to accomplish. I've heard in the past that Theoretical Physicists weep when they see the beauty of Einstein's formulas, a position that was echoed almost verbatim by one of the scientists at the conference.

A person with average intelligence is capable of learning advanced math through trigonometry. Calculus takes a bit more ability than that. Once you reach the levels of some of these folks I am convinced that it is a gift.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thunderson:
Once you reach the levels of some of these folks I am convinced that it is a gift.

Indeed. It is fascinating that there are these luminaries throughout history that are so far ahead of their times.

Posts: 11363 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
What happens if he stops smiling?

Posts: 8628 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thunderson:
Once you reach the levels of some of these folks I am convinced that it is a gift.

I agree. Isaac Asimov opined that when it came to understanding mathematics we all have a level to which we can rise, and then that’s it: It’s as if there is a ceiling that we can’t break through.

Some people, however, seem to have no intellectual limits, or at least none that the rest of us can ever hope to reach. Just yesterday I read an article in the science journal Nature about an 18-year-old woman, Ewin Tang, who has shattered some concepts about quantum computers. The conventional wisdom was that it would take (theoretical at this point Wink ) quantum computing to solve certain problems. She showed, however, that no, it doesn’t; conventional computers can do it. I can barely comprehend the problems, much less how they could conceivably be solved.

Some minds are literally incredible to me.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Berlin
Correspondent
Picture of BansheeOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yeah...exactly! I was wondering how long it took for that light to reach the telescope cameras. Just amazing stuff...

They used radio telescopes, so what we're looking at is actually an optical representation of radiowaves emitted by the fast-moving matter in the accretion disc. Of course those took just as long to travel here. The principle of using multiple telescopes also remains the same - you increase resolution of the emitting points. Awesome anyway, I don't care which part of the electromagnetic spectrum.

Posts: 2419 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: April 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
What a wonderful age of discovery and technology we live in. My wife and I are both big time space nerds so this will be fun to watch together after work tonight.

Posts: 10851 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Isaac Asimov opined that when it came to understanding mathematics we all have a level to which we can rise, and then that’s it: It’s as if there is a ceiling that we can’t break through.
Agreed - or at least it becomes a LOT harder to expand your mind.

I have a BS in Mathematics and I am great using a lot of the theories in Applied Mathematics, but REALLY struggled in some of the theoretical classes where you have to jump through all of the proofs - it was frustrating because up until that point I had always been an A student in math, rarely struggled with concepts, or any of it. It was like someone poured concrete into my brain and I could no longer understand it, or it took a lot longer to get it. After surviving that class, I moved into Mathematical modeling / Applied math and had no issues.

Now when I read some of the Astronomy / Science books for fun (yes, for fun), I literally read a chapter once and stop - sometimes I have to read a couple of pages and then really think it over. It's mind bending stuff (well, at least my mind) and as they push the bounds of understanding, lots of it is theory / conjecture, albeit well reasoned.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My common sense
is tingling
Picture of Kravashera
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllenInWV:
Sharpened it up a bit....this does not bode well.

Allen, this post was too good not to be a meme. So I have added it to the meme thread.

“You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
- Robert Heinlein

Posts: 988 | Location: Valley of the Sun, AZ | Registered: February 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Isaac Asimov opined that when it came to understanding mathematics we all have a level to which we can rise, and then that’s it: It’s as if there is a ceiling that we can’t break through.
Agreed - or at least it becomes a LOT harder to expand your mind.

I have a BS in Mathematics and I am great using a lot of the theories in Applied Mathematics, but REALLY struggled in some of the theoretical classes where you have to jump through all of the proofs - it was frustrating because up until that point I had always been an A student in math, rarely struggled with concepts, or any of it. It was like someone poured concrete into my brain and I could no longer understand it, or it took a lot longer to get it. After surviving that class, I moved into Mathematical modeling / Applied math and had no issues.

Now when I read some of the Astronomy / Science books for fun (yes, for fun), I literally read a chapter once and stop - sometimes I have to read a couple of pages and then really think it over. It's mind bending stuff (well, at least my mind) and as they push the bounds of understanding, lots of it is theory / conjecture, albeit well reasoned.

My guess is one's ability to only be able to think in terms of images that represent constructs that you can physically see in your mind, or see "enough" in your mind in a physical sense. After that it's pure brain power with abstract thinking. I'm in the former group. I read a book called Relativity for Dummies in college, with the goal of actually understanding just the POINT of it. I read some sections several times, but with no understanding at all. I still don't know what the hell it is or how it is important, even though I know it IS important. It's frustrating to know something is important but you still don't have a clue what is IS.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8696 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jprebb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
The really remarkable thing about that image is that it was acquired with ground-based telescopes.

I read in this article, Darkness Visible, Finally: Astronomers Capture First Ever Image of a Black Hole, that it was an array of radio telescopes that produced these colorized images after 2 years of computer analysis of 10 days of observation. Still very cool though.

JP

Posts: 2054 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Anything seem odd about that ring?

I am neither an astronomer nor an astrophysicist, but this seems odd to me.

I'm not saying there are no black holes in the center of galaxies. I can easily imagine that. Heck, I can imagine that maybe all the crud circling around them - i.e. the galaxies of stars - may have been attracted into galaxy formations by their black holes in the first place.

No, what bugs me is this - possibly faulty - chain of logic:

1) whatever the black hole is doing, it ought to be roughly spherically symmetrical.

2) the black hole doesn't know or care where Earth happens to be.

3) from #1, whatever the phenomenon is that the picture is made from, it ought to be happening between us and the black hole as much as anywhere else

4) from #2 and #3, if there is activity everywhere, implicitly including on the direct sight line between Earth and the object, why would there be a dark area at the center of the picture taken from Earth? That implies that while there was activity in a 'ring' perpendicular to the Earth-black hole viewing angle, nothing was/is going on in the center, and if #3 holds, there's as much going on between us and the black hole as anywhere else.

5) From #4, I am wondering who did what image processing to turn this into a ring?

Or am I out to lunch?

Posts: 15033 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yeah, Joel. You should straighten out all those astrophysicists. Clearly, they need your input.

??

Posts: 107680 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:...
Or am I out to lunch?

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43911 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
Anything seem odd about that ring?

No.
If you are concerned that the same people who filmed all the moon landings in Hollywood are up to their old tricks once again (what staying power they have!), it might help to take a look at one of the countless explanations of why rings are formed around black holes. A good discussion here:

https://www.nature.com/article...-ee20e6b2b4-43423637

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
It's an accretion disk around the event horizon as it is also spinning rapidly. It is brighter on one side as the matter on that side is moving toward us (at nearly the speed of light, emitting tremendous amount of radiation and energy), dimmer on the other side as it is moving away from us. The shadow in the center is due to the gravity well, and precisely what they hoped to confirm with these images. Additionally we aren't viewing it edge-on.

The other interesting thing about the computer reconstruction is that they used a large number of different imaging algorithms and they almost universally produced a similar image with the ring structure. That is why it has taken them two years to reveal this image.

Posts: 11363 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Wow. We now have evidence besides theoretical math that supermasive blackholes really do exist.
Just imagine what we'll learn tomorrow.

Posts: 10851 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jprebb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:...
Or am I out to lunch?

Man this cracked me up!

JP

Posts: 2054 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllenInWV:
Sharpened it up a bit....this does not bode well.

Big Grin

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Here is a good explanation of the image:
https://youtu.be/zUyH3XhpLTo

Posts: 3525 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Or am I out to lunch?

I'm pretty sure thinking of it as a hole on a 2 dimensional plane is your problem.

Think instead of a "black sphere", or a black hole that is round and in three dimensions.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12431 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post