SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Living on a small (7500 sq.ft.) residential city lot
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Living on a small (7500 sq.ft.) residential city lot Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
I realize there are probably many here who live on smaller than a 7500 sq. ft lot.

But I would like to hear from those that live in a residential area on a lot of this size give or take.

Is it enough room. Too much etc.

I am looking at a lot of that size in an area I want to live in at least part time. The lot is developed, sort of . Has power and water. Also has a 1 bdrm. septic system on it. Not sure if the county is going to allow any expansion and think it might be doubtful.

It is mostly fenced. Has good access.

I once lived in town. Corner lot. So close neighbor on one side. Lesbians, but that is another story Wink

This is not a corner lot.

thoughts,

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I have nothing to contribute here, as I have not had lesbians for next-door neighbors.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you can’t pee outside, it’s too crowded

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1128 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Probably too small. I used to live on a third acre lot just outside downtown Orlando and it was OK. But that was largely due to having very good neighbors...none of which were lesbians.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
When we built our first home in TX it was on a 5000 sf lot in a subdivision it we had city water and sewer. If you already have a septic installed on it I would make sure there is enough room to place a house of the size you are looking for with all the required setbacks and PUE's

This message has been edited. Last edited by: smlsig,

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6316 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My lot is about 4800 sq. ft.
The only time I think it's big enough is when I'm mowing the lawn, raking leaves or picking up branches that my trees have jettisoned...
s.

Posts: 297 | Location: Ogden, UT | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
We are on a 10,000sf corner lot and that is a bit small. The back fence is less than 25’ from the house. Fortunately we like our neighbors.

What I hate the most is we can hear all the outdoor conversations like they are in the backyard.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5751 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My residential city lot is about 6600 SF, 66x100 I believe. Its on a corner, with an alley in the back, so only one side with a direct neighbor, though I consider the second floor flat of the building across the alley "neighbor" due to visibility.

If the "1 bedroom septic system" works for you, it can be excellent with a good site design. We did building on three sides (L shaped house, garage on alley), so the retaining wall/fence on the neighbor's 4th side creates a full courtyard.

If you can push buildings (house, garage, shop/shed) to edges, and fence the balance, its easy to create comfortable privacy in a small setting.

And yes, I can pee in my rainwater turning basin in the courtyard.

Posts: 73 | Registered: February 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I have a corner lot so my lot is larger than neighborhood average.

My neighbor across the street is exactly 7500 sq ft with a single story home. Backyard is sized so it's either pool or garden. They have a large patio and most of the backyard is a flower and vegetable garden. Somebody with a 2-story home would have more backyard.

Easements become interesting in a neighborhood with buried utilities. They ran ours down the backyard fence, but the asshole developer put them in my backyard even though the house behind me has about 2000 sq ft more yard. In other words, I have 560 sq ft of property that I can't put anything permanent on.

Setbacks become interesting too. I had to pay extra for my whole house generator location (i.e. longer electrical and longer natural gas) because fire code setbacks from house and wood fence.

The first time I lived in Houston, I had a long skinny lot with nearly a zero lot line house (3 ft on first story and about 1 ft on 2nd story). Front yard was all landscaping so no mowing. Backyard took me 7 minutes to mow which was nice. Much less privacy than I have now.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23249 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, prj, I like what you have. It made sense to me and can sort of visualize it. How many sq. ft is your house and garage?.

posted Hide Post
House is 1850 SF on first floor. We recently built a planned for second floor of about 750 SF for the kids. Garage is 890 SF or so, 24' x 34', Zoning Code max in the City. A car, a boat and a full bay for gear (bikes, mowers, lawn tools) and work.

The buildings are pushed to setbacks, so minimal exterior space or lawn, small front entry porch.
The courtyard is spacious and varied, precious lawn panel at 14x20, veggie garden similar sized, then English garden type stuff my wife manages. Bigger than the house, the courtyard is intimately connected via an overhead door and windows, lots of in-out connection.

Oh yea, architect here Wink

In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
It's not insignificant depending on what you want to do with the land. My grandparents 2100sq' house sat on 5600 sq'. There was enough room for a small driveway and a modest back yard.

Posts: 6350 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
I guess so Wink . Thanks. Sounds like you made the most of your lot.

I am thinking small. Possibly prefab. Like 600 sq. ft.

Then a second building (Shop) 30 x36? for full size truck and larger fishing boat.

In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
For what it's worth it appears according to the assessors that the house is 44' x 26', to give you an idea of how much extra land there was.

Posts: 6350 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One bedroom on a 7500 square foot lot is plenty I think. Unless you considered yard maintenance a hobby.

I'm currently on a 6500 square foot lot . Two story 5 bedroom 2,500 square feet home with a detached garage with enough room left for 2 dogs to roam.Concrete walls on three sides so neighbors don't really bother me. Even thinking of downgrading to a three bedroom.

Posts: 656 | Registered: February 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TBH:

Made me think of the movie Life As a House

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25420 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

^^^THIS!!!^^^

Rugged, I’m on a 50x150 (7500sqft)
2 car “barn” type Garage, 3 bedroom house.
Me, my Better half, 2 growing lunatic teenagers, and a goofy German Shepherd.

No! Not nearly enough room. But I gotta make due with what I have.
Live-able, doable, yes… but… sure do wish there was more!

I’m lucky I get along with my neighbors, I honestly can’t fully stretch out my arms on the one side of the house, because I’ll hit the neighbors house.
Our side doors face each other.

I learned years ago that if you can piss off your porch and the neighbors can see you, they’re too close!
The next house, after I retire… Wink

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8342 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You have a gangway between the houses?

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
I am thinking small. Possibly prefab. Like 600 sq. ft.
Then a second building (Shop) 30 x36? for full size truck and larger fishing boat.

Look at setbacks, push the "backs" of buildings to the perimeter, and make buildings long and narrow. Better daylight, better cross vent, better containment. You won't need too much fence with that.

Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
quote:

^^^THIS!!!^^^

I learned years ago that if you can piss off your porch and the neighbors can see you, they’re too close!

At our old house I looked out the kitchen window and saw the neighbor boy pissing of their deck. They were teaching him about potty training and the goal was to hit our deck. Both their boys learned to not need diapers anymore by trying to hit our deck. Their daughter well I am not sure how she learned.
They were great neighbors. We have both moved since then but are still close.

To the actual question. I find it to be too small.
That house was on 6k and we were lucky to have awesome neighbors and no kids at the time. It worked fine I guess.
We are now on 10k with 3 kids and a dog. Need much more room. We spend a lot of time at the in laws that have 15 acres and a pond.
We still need more room.
Next place we will not be able to see our neighbors.

But for your use seems like it would be alright presuming you have good neighbors.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25420 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post