SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What is a good serviceable fire extinguisher brand?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is a good serviceable fire extinguisher brand? Login/Join 
Inject yourself!
posted
Noticed a thread below and it reminds me I need to step up the extinguishers. As I’ve been traveling, I see at least one spot every trip that’s shows evidence of a vehicle fire.

I’d like one that can be serviced every so often, rather than toss and by new if it’s cheaper.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Riley,

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8366 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For vehicles honestly it depends on what your are goals for after the fire. I would not put recharge as one of them. Who the heck cares, you will not be using it on a regular basis. Any good drychem will get the job done, just buy a real one and not a consumer one (among the easy to get amerex is ok as is kiddie pro). Key feature to make sure it has is a metal head. If its UL/uscg listed its fine. the big issue for a car is size, get the biggest one you can stand.
Now having said that what happens when you discharge one of these is a huge mess. everywhere. and its corrosive if its an a:b:c one. I personally carry a halotron one. you can put out that small fire and not have a mess to deal with. A big car fire is beyond what you can carry, so what you are dealing with is that small grease/oil that you might have a chance to extinguish.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11164 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
My thought, maybe incorrect, was it’d be cheaper to get it serviced every couple years than toss and replace. Especially the larger one for the house and garage.

I shall change the title to serviceable.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8366 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you check its guage and it is good, ideally monthly, you shake/turn it over a couple of times to make sure that its not settled. the minimum service life is 12 years. I would not worry too much about this issue. If it helps you any model that meets the criteria I noted above can be serviced. Sadly service costs will probably exceed a new one.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11164 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For vehicle use, always mount it horizontal to keep the dry chem loose.

-c1steve

Posts: 4121 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
smlsig posted this type of fire extinguisher in the earlier thread.

https://elementfire.com/

MEET ELEMENT

Fire extinguishers have not changed much in the past 100 years.
A large, heavy cylinder of compressed gas filled with a messy powder is an antiquated way to put out a fire.

Element uses a tested and proven technology, created for the space program, that fights fires on the molecular level.
By chemically interrupting the chain of combustion, Element safely and effectively puts out fires without the mess, toxicity, or danger associated with a traditional extinguisher.

Posts: 379 | Location: Mansfield, TX | Registered: April 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigguy:
smlsig posted this type of fire extinguisher in the earlier thread.

https://elementfire.com/

MEET ELEMENT

Fire extinguishers have not changed much in the past 100 years.
A large, heavy cylinder of compressed gas filled with a messy powder is an antiquated way to put out a fire.

Element uses a tested and proven technology, created for the space program, that fights fires on the molecular level.
By chemically interrupting the chain of combustion, Element safely and effectively puts out fires without the mess, toxicity, or danger associated with a traditional extinguisher.

Interesting. I have Kiddie 5 lb ABC extinguishers in every room of my home and in the garage, but don’t carry one in my vehicle. I would like to have one of these more compact type in my truck and motorcycle.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8740 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Badger fire extinguishers are a good brand with a metal valve.

Posts: 21408 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
They taught us at firefighting school in the CG, a fire bottle is only big enough to put out a office trash can .

My personal experience is that a car fire leaking fuel...make sure you start under the car...then spray the engine compartment.

I once smelled smoke while making a round on a ship, I found smoke coming from a cover in a hallway, the compartment was for our reverse osmosis water machinery..I grabbed the closest fire bottle, pulled the pin, cracked the hatch, emptied the fire bottle and dogged the hatch, then I sounded the alarm...the chief engineer was so mad at me for using PKP(it’s corrosive to everything). I stopped the fire but ruined several thousand dollars of equipment (you can’t please some people)

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11457 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post