snoris
Bread slicing guide
John Belushi starring in---

Samauri Baker
August 24, 2017, 06:07 PM
Pipe Smoker
quote:
Originally posted by barndg00:
Get one of these, then you can slice your own deli meat as well - I got one for my homemade bacon, use it on smoked hams as well as occasional loaves of bread (serrated blade which comes with it works well for bread, the non-serrated blade is better for meat/cheese).

Electric Slicer

Neat device, but I wouldn't have enough use for it to justify the counter/storage space it requires.

In any case, I just ordered the $9.90 slicing guide. Free 2-day shipping with Amazon Prime.

Serious about crackers
August 24, 2017, 09:10 PM
flashguy
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
What I have found works the best is just an electric knife and guide it with your finger. Once you do a few loaves you'll get the hang of it and you'll consistently get even slices. Just takes a little practice.

The real key is not smushing down the loaf as you are slicing and an electric knife does this very well.
No--I think the real key is to not be slicing your finger instead of the bread.... Cool

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth
August 24, 2017, 09:19 PM
RAMIUS
Can you post a review when you receive the slicing guide?

Please review how the slicing guide slices various types of breads and the resultant "mouth feel".

If you like, please post photos of the various slices of breads and sandwiches that were made.

Please also use a knife and compare the experience slicing bread with the slicing guide.
August 24, 2017, 09:40 PM
snwghst
Unitasker

I find with repetition, a quality dedicated bread knife and a cutting board my bread slicing is consistent to my desired thickness

In short....don't squish the bread, let the knife do its thing and you can get a great even slice every time Smile. Also helped I lived without sliced bread for many years and had to cut from a whole loaf (I've eaten lots of wedge shaped pieces)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever
August 24, 2017, 11:04 PM
46and2
"Copper Pots"

"mouth feel"

Smile
August 25, 2017, 05:57 AM
arfmel
I barely remember that "mouth feel".
August 25, 2017, 06:55 AM
JimTheo
quote:
Originally posted by snwghst:
Unitasker

I find with repetition, a quality dedicated bread knife and a cutting board my bread slicing is consistent to my desired thickness

In short....don't squish the bread, let the knife do its thing and you can get a great even slice every time Smile. Also helped I lived without sliced bread for many years and had to cut from a whole loaf (I've eaten lots of wedge shaped pieces)

I would figure that if wedges are a consistent problem, then just spin one of the slices 180deg to even out the sammich!

I should be tall and rich too; That ain't gonna happen either
August 25, 2017, 11:19 AM
bendable
https://www.amazon.com/Mercer-...%22+Wide+Bread+Knife

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first
August 25, 2017, 12:34 PM
Woodman
quote:
Originally posted by snwghst:

I've stayed out of this. A man's bread and his bread knife are personal decisions. You've got a great knife, have ordered the guide, and your bread consumption is unlikely to change. But if you want to get satisfyingly good at it freehand? Practice. Practice. Practice.

Buy a dozen whole loaves at the day-old bakery. Slice-em up for a huge community batch of stuffing this November. Guaranteed by loaf seven, you'll be slicing like a pro! Wink
August 25, 2017, 12:54 PM
RAMIUS
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
I barely remember that "mouth feel".

"Mouth feel" is a huuuuge factor when it comes to properly sliced bread.

I'm sure Pipe Smoker definitely understands the importance of "mouth feel".
August 25, 2017, 03:33 PM
46and2
Mouth feel is real.

Some whiskey is more chewy than others, for instance.

As for gadgetry:

August 25, 2017, 04:04 PM
Fenris
Mouth feel....

Restrain yourself Fenris. Don't say it...

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.
August 27, 2017, 10:27 AM
Pipe Smoker
I received the bread slicing guide yesterday, and it's pretty good. It's made of ABS plastic, which is pretty tough stuff, and it's rigid enough that it doesn't feel flimsy. Furthermore, there are no sharp mold flashings.

The bread stop can be put into one of four slots to set slice widths of: 2.2cm (0.87"), 1.7cm (0.67"), 1.2cm (0.47"), 0.7cm (0.27"). It isn't mentioned, but simply removing the stop produces a slice width of 1.05".

So far, I've only cut slices with the thinnest setting (0.27"), but thin slices are the most challenging, and the most revealing of slicing errors. Four perfect slices, and one wedgie, which I attribute to newbie operator error.

The entrance gate is 4-5/8" w, 6-1/8" h, so loaves wider than 4-5/8" would have to be placed on their side. That's probably the weakest aspect of the design.

So generally good results from this $9.90 appliance, but my Japanese Tojiro bread knife gets some of the credit.

Oh, yeah – mouth feel. Good, but the S. F. sourdough gets the credit for that.

Serious about crackers
August 27, 2017, 02:05 PM
RAMIUS
Awesome. Thank you. I'll pick one up.
August 27, 2017, 02:14 PM
bubbatime
Don't forget the banana slicer.

https://www.amazon.com/Hutzler...Slicer/dp/B0047E0EII

August 27, 2017, 03:08 PM
jimmy123x
I have a Wusthoff Classic bread knife and use no guide. It's relatively easy to cut the bread pretty straight if you don't put pressure on the blade, just move back and forth. The Wusthoff is hellified sharp, and if you just knick yourself with the blade, it does an excellent job at cutting fingers!!!!!!!!!
August 27, 2017, 10:11 PM
Woodman
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
I have a Wusthoff Classic bread knife

On sale over the holidays for $90-some. Love mine for tomatoes too. Got one for my buddy's house warming present; its a prized possession over there.
August 27, 2017, 10:29 PM
jimb888
No bandaw?

https://youtu.be/Nk9JKdHfWdA