SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bread slicing guide
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bread slicing guide Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
I've been looking for a bread slicing guide with the following characteristics:

* Compact storage (foldable)
* Selectable slice width
* Washable

I don't eat that much bread, so one slice at a time is OK. This one from Amazon looks as though it fits my requirements:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d...L5Rov89nL&ref=plSrch

Do any of you have experience with this guide? Or have a recommendation for some other guide that fits my requirements?

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8958 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
That looks like the best thing since sliced bread and Wheaties.

Be sure to purchase the $2.75 two year service plan amazon offers on it. Wink

Posts: 26910 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
did not know these existed.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54645 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You mock it now, but just wait until your guests are marveling at the uniformity of your sandwiches. Razz

Posts: 8958 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
You mock it now, but just wait until your guests are marveling at the uniformity of your sandwiches. Razz

Then they think you used presliced bread instead of freshly sliced artisan loaf from the nonGMO bakery.

Lose-lose.

Just use a bread knife.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Then they think you used presliced bread instead of freshly sliced artisan loaf from the nonGMO bakery.

Lose-lose.

Just use a bread knife.

Only if you bring it out already sliced. Every real sandwich artist knows that the guests should be assembled around the kitchen island while the bread is being sliced. (Extra points if you have copper pots hanging from the ceiling)

Posts: 8958 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I've been making/eating solely homemade bread for years and have tried many different types of slicing guides. Some are better than others, but to be honest, none of them really worked all that well, even with a bread (serrated) knife.

What I have found works the best is just an electric knife and guide it with your finger. Once you do a few loaves you'll get the hang of it and you'll consistently get even slices. Just takes a little practice.

The real key is not smushing down the loaf as you are slicing and an electric knife does this very well.

Posts: 20106 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
I have seen these sort of things for bagel. Apparently a lot of people slice themselves really bad cutting bagels.
[IMG]http://d3d71ba2asa5oz.cloudfront.net/52000777/images/030734040898(bagel).jpg[/IMG]

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Skip the gadgets and just get yourself a good slicing knife. I've had a Victorinox Fibrox serrated slicer for 20+ years now and it's great, discovered them in culinary school.

You SAW with it gently and let the sawing motion and the knife blade do the work, and don't press down and you'll have perfect slices:

Posts: 33815 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Use the Force, Luke.... and a good bread knife.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I feel like a barbarian. I have been tearing hunks off with my fingers for years.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:
I feel like a barbarian. I have been tearing hunks off with my fingers for years.

Hell I don't think I've seen un-sliced bread before Eek

------------------------------
I'm a right wing, anti-illegal, pro-life, gun owning, straight, white, college educated, politically informed, conservative, Christian male. Liberals hate me.

Posts: 2901 | Location: RDU, NC | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Haha, the reviews say to use a knife.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Skip the gadgets and just get yourself a good slicing knife. I've had a Victorinox Fibrox serrated slicer for 20+ years now and it's great, discovered them in culinary school.

You SAW with it gently and let the sawing motion and the knife blade do the work, and don't press down and you'll have perfect slices:

Thanks, but I have a good Japanese Tojiro bread knife that goes through bread very easily without mashing the bread. It doesn't create many crumbs, either. It has a really sharp serrated edge.

But my slices are somewhat variable in width, and tend to be a bit wedge shaped. I just don't eat enough bread to develop slicing expertise, so want to try a guide.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8958 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:

Beat me to it.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
This looks like the UPLULA of bread slicing. Having read your previous posts about food, I believe you have pretty exact requirements for what you eat. So sure. Group buy? J/K
Seriously, my wife has started baking whole wheat bread again. It's so much better than store-bought, but uneven slices make sandwiches more awkward. I can see how this could help.

Posts: 18069 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:

Lose-lose.

Just use a bread knife.

Only if you bring it out already sliced. Every real sandwich artist knows that the guests should be assembled around the kitchen island while the bread is being sliced. (Extra points if you have copper pots hanging from the ceiling)

oh goddd. You literally just painted a picture of my kitchen Razz

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:

You SAW with it gently and let the sawing motion and the knife blade do the work, and don't press down and you'll have perfect slices

This, it's one of the most useful knives I own.

Posts: 7258 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
What I have found works the best is just an electric knife and guide it with your finger.
The problem is, eventually you run out of fingers.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30677 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
Get one of these, then you can slice your own deli meat as well - I got one for my homemade bacon, use it on smoked hams as well as occasional loaves of bread (serrated blade which comes with it works well for bread, the non-serrated blade is better for meat/cheese).

Electric Slicer

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post