SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Your Greatest Joy. Your Greatest Sorrow.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Your Greatest Joy. Your Greatest Sorrow. Login/Join 
No Compromise
posted
Life is unpredictable. The wise man Solomon said: “I returned to see under the sun that the swift do not have the race, nor the mighty ones the battle, nor do the wise also have the food, nor do the understanding ones also have the riches, nor do even those having knowledge have the favor; because time and unforeseen occurrence befall them all.” (Ecclesiastes 9:11)

During your lifetime, you have encountered all manner of things. So, what in your life has brought you the greatest joy. And, what in your life has brought you the greatest sorrow?

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
The birth of my son, and just six days later, his dying.

Posts: 11331 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Tac, I'm so sorry.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29710 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Talk about a buzzkill, that brings tears to my eyes Tac.

So, so sorry you had to go through that.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14039 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Greatest joy: The birth and raising of my son.
Greatest sorrow: Not taking advantage of opportunities that were given to me early in life.
Both which pale on comparison to Tacs experiences.
My condolences.
But I may have to revise the greatest sorrow category when at my passing, I see the country that I will be leaving my son.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16100 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:

The birth of my son, and just six days later, his dying.
Heartbreaking. So sorry to read this.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30694 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
Hey, guys, it was a long time ago, eh?

Thanks for your kind thoughts though.

Made me cry now.

Posts: 11331 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Greatest joy.... Through a series of events I was able to very positively impact a local Ranch back when I was on the Cop job. The billionaire owner donated a million dollars and started a long term scholarship program for the sons and daughters of my fellow Troopers. To think I contributed to the education of all these kids has given me tremendous happiness for the past 20 years.

Sorrow...I wish I had spent more time with my Dad before he passed away.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I was elated when my son was born. Here's someone that I can teach about how the world works, to question everything, to seek truth and make the world better. Then at age three he was diagnosed as autistic and every day I realized more and more that he was never going to understand any of those things. Science is meaningless to him. Money is meaningless to him. Mortality and religion, meaningless. Poetry and art, meaningless. He does love music but it's visceral and an input only thing, he'll never write a song.

My greatest joy of my son's birth has moved to my greatest sorrow.

I'd say that now my greatest joy would be that I finally met someone I'm happy to spend the rest of my life with. My wife is really good to me. Like impossibly good.

Posts: 45381 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ubique
Picture of TSE
posted Hide Post
Shortly after his 18th birthday my son was run over by a semi while he was working underneath it.
It was the worst day of my life.
He had his pelvis crushed as well as some back and leg injuries. His hands and arms were skinned from his efforts to escape.
After three months in intensive care and several months in rehab, he started retraining as they did not think he would be able to operate as a diesel mechanic with the back injury.
He retrained as an environmental technician, in oilfield remediation. Now he was never really much of a student in school (the reason he was apprenticing as a mechanic), but after two years of college, he received his certificate and made a very adult decision, he would do two more years at University to obtain a degree. This at his own cost as the Worker Compensation program would not cover more education!
Last May he graduated, with a BSc in Environmental Science. The happiest day of my life.
He has not fully recovered from his injuries, but he gets by. The biggest change is that he was a boy, but this experience made him a man. He is so much more responsible, thoughtful and caring. We are much closer than before, and I am more proud of him than I can express.

Calgary Shooting Centre

Posts: 1495 | Location: Alberta | Registered: July 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Throughout my entire life I have been called many things, some good, some not so good. The greatest joy has been being called Dad.

Greatest sorrow was losing my Father at age 17. Sadly I would not learn of his passing for 2 days.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36843 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Greatest: my two boys, (the youngest one, they told us we’d never conceive.- I got re married)

Sorrow: when I divorced my first wife, I couldn’t get custody of the kid...(I was in the military and couldn’t be a single dad and be deployable) it still bothers me today, as I know he would have felt loved in my care, unlike he did with his mother

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MikeinNC,

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11290 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Working for Water
Picture of Chance228
posted Hide Post
The birth of my daughter, my only child, coupled with the murder of my maternal grandfather.

Posts: 1051 | Location: Central New Jersey | Registered: February 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
My greatest joy was dropping my daughter off at Boston College freshman year. Lots that went into that feeling but I was very proud of her as well as the job we had done as parents.

My greatest sorrow is not going into my Dad's room to give him a hug before heading back to college after Spring break 1994. He had been really sick following a stroke and it was hard for me to see him like that. I rationalized that I would see him in a few weeks. He died 8 days later.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5911 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steyn
posted Hide Post
Greatest joy: Both my daughters’ births.

Greatest sorrow: When wife asked for a no-fault divorce.

Posts: 389 | Registered: October 12, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Joys: my son being born and getting back together with my wife and when my dad came home from the hospital after we were told he wouldn't make it

Sorrows: when I thought my .marriage was over, losing one child to miscarriage and losing the other after a few weeks to kidney disease

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
Hey, guys, it was a long time ago, eh?

Thanks for your kind thoughts though.

Made me cry now.

Me too, as it should.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TSE:
Shortly after his 18th birthday my son was run over by a semi while he was working underneath it.
It was the worst day of my life.
He had his pelvis crushed as well as some back and leg injuries. His hands and arms were skinned from his efforts to escape.
After three months in intensive care and several months in rehab, he started retraining as they did not think he would be able to operate as a diesel mechanic with the back injury.
He retrained as an environmental technician, in oilfield remediation. Now he was never really much of a student in school (the reason he was apprenticing as a mechanic), but after two years of college, he received his certificate and made a very adult decision, he would do two more years at University to obtain a degree. This at his own cost as the Worker Compensation program would not cover more education!
Last May he graduated, with a BSc in Environmental Science. The happiest day of my life.
He has not fully recovered from his injuries, but he gets by. The biggest change is that he was a boy, but this experience made him a man. He is so much more responsible, thoughtful and caring. We are much closer than before, and I am more proud of him than I can express.

Sir, I can feel the pride from over here. Kinda chokes you up, don't it?

Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
My son.

My brother’s death when we were barely out of our teens (my son carries his name).

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5328 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My marriage and birth of my three daughters.

Not being there enough when they were young (thanks to God I have an awesome wife).

On the side, I am thankful that so many are willing share their experiences.

Semper Fidelis

Posts: 119 | Location: Missouri | Registered: August 01, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post