SIGforum
Nidal Hasan to be executed

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/8500034225

October 07, 2026, 10:11 PM
sigfreund
Nidal Hasan to be executed
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
Do they put an aiming point marker on the perp’s chest?

Traditionally, yes.

Another “tradition,” if it can be believed, is that the rifle of one squad member would be loaded with a blank cartridge. The idea was that anyone could claim that he didn’t actually fire a killing shot. I first heard that from my father, but although I didn’t know better in my youth, it actually makes no sense because any experienced shooter would know whether he fired a live round. Plus whoever loaded the rifles would also know. I’ve never tried to determine whether there was any truth to the claim, but it comes up on occasion in discussions about firing squads.




“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato
October 08, 2026, 02:31 AM
medic451
Its true, at least in Utah. Ronnie Lee Gardner 2010, 5 rifles and 4 bullet holes in the wood- Utah confirmed one of the .308s was loaded with a blank.

https://archive.sltrib.com/sto...ef=/news/ci_15325356



"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"
October 08, 2026, 08:08 AM
sigfreund
quote:
Originally posted by medic451:
Its true, at least in Utah.

Thanks. Interesting to know.

I could always see some validity for wartime military executions when the firing squad members may have had no choice in the duty.
“Jones, you’re on tomorrow’s firing squad for that Nazi officer.”
“Sarge, that wasn’t what I signed up for. I’d rather not.”
“Jones, you’re an MP, and that’s part of our duties. No arguments.”
Later: “Yeah, my rifle had the blank. I never killed anyone.”

And for example with the type of firing squad executions I’ve seen pictured in World War II, it would have been easy enough for someone to deliberately miss. With everyone shooting from the offhand (standing) position firing into a backstop wall used for the purpose, I believe that would have easily been possible. Even if it was obvious that someone missed, “Sarge, I was nervous and jerked the shot.”
There were many contemporary accounts of botched efforts that had to be finished with a shot to the head by the officer in charge: Poor marksmanship or deliberate misses?

For anyone who could refuse to participate though, it seems like a somewhat dubious fiction. Would one guy have a syringe filled with saline and another the syringe with the lethal drug?
But not my decision, and I wouldn’t be one pulling a trigger.




“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato
October 08, 2026, 09:18 AM
HRK
with the technology of today, it would be easy enough to automate the rifle to fire based on some computer programming, eliminate the need for a person to have to fire it.

Doesn't even have to be high tech, mount the gun, aim, load, attach string to trigger and run it to a machine that will pull the trigger.
October 08, 2026, 10:55 AM
limblessbiff
They should contact the survivors of his attack and see if any of them want to be a shooter, I’d bet they’d have more than enough volunteers
October 08, 2026, 03:23 PM
parabellum
Confirmed

https://x.com/libsoftiktok/status/2108271389744546191


October 08, 2026, 06:17 PM
Mustang-PaPa
^^^just saw this news and came here to see if it had been posted yet.

Hmm live streaming his execution. Not sure its something I would want to watch myself but for those whom lives were effected from this monsters actions I would think that they would want to view it.
October 08, 2026, 07:39 PM
Prefontaine
POTUS is sending a fucking message to Jihad mother fuckers in the Middle East. Good!



What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone
October 08, 2026, 07:58 PM
smlsig
Wow! That’s going to get a lot of views around the world!
Awesome!


------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina
October 08, 2026, 09:08 PM
Pipe Smoker
^^^^
The shots heard ‘round the world.



Serious about crackers.
October 08, 2026, 09:29 PM
Z06
I think the firing squad should use FN Five-seveN pistols.


________________________________________________________
The trouble with trouble is; it always starts out as fun.
October 09, 2026, 06:59 AM
83v45magna
^^^^^
I was thinking that the other day.