SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    optimal engine coolant temp
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

optimal engine coolant temp Login/Join 
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lbj:
Give me an analog temperature gauge all day long.

There are a number of cars, among them Subaru and some Nissans and Hondas, that have neither a gauge nor a readout, just lights for cold and hot. The trouble with this is two-fold: the car is already spewing by the time the hot light comes on, and you don't know if it is running a sustained high temperature but not enough to trigger the light. If I am ever forced to buy such a car, it's going to get a gauge wired in.

Posts: 28645 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
Give me an analog temperature gauge all day long.

There are a number of cars, among them Subaru and some Nissans and Hondas, that have neither a gauge nor a readout, just lights for cold and hot. The trouble with this is two-fold: the car is already spewing by the time the hot light comes on, and you don't know if it is running a sustained high temperature but not enough to trigger the light. If I am ever forced to buy such a car, it's going to get a gauge wired in.

We have a 2015 Forester. You can configure the multi function display to display oil temp. No option for water temp. There are a numbers of units that will display data from OBD port. Ultra guage is one.

Posts: 925 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I use a scan gauge 2 on my Subaru for charging voltage, water temp, fuel consumption since start, and engine load.

Posts: 13063 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
Cool, or hot depending on your point of view.

Fortunately, my new Escape will have a temperature gauge.

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31440 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Cool, or hot depending on your point of view.

Fortunately, my new Escape will have a temperature gauge.

Hopefully it has a heck of a lot more gas in it when they give it to you with 15 miles on it than that one does!!!

Posts: 21408 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vanwall:

We have a 2015 Forester. You can configure the multi function display to display oil temp. No option for water temp. There are a numbers of units that will display data from OBD port. Ultra guage is one.

Interesting. But I don't think an oil temperature readout instead of coolant is very useful. Oil temperature is usually lower than coolant, and in case of an overheat condition the coolant temperature will increase much faster than that of the oil. I also don't think much of having to buy something aftermarket that the car should have had in the first place.

Out of curiosity, what does your oil temperature typically run? This may be useful to me.

Posts: 28645 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:

Hopefully it has a heck of a lot more gas in it when they give it to you with 15 miles on it than that one does!!!

Vehicles only ship with a very small amount of fuel in them.

Posts: 2220 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
This is a (slightly modified) Ford flathead V8.

Flatheads are so named because the head is literally flat - there are no valves in it, instead being in the engine block. Anyway, note the two upper radiator hoses and two (the other one is on the other cylinder bank) water pumps. "They must have really wanted this thing to run cool," you might think. It needed them because all flatheads run hot. With the valves and ports in the engine block, there is no way to avoid running the hot exhaust port next to a cooling passage.