SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Just a friendly reminder to “protect your credit rating”…
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just a friendly reminder to “protect your credit rating”… Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
A credit rating is something people take for granted until they need it. I know I do. But after getting a perfect 850 credit score from Equifax, I aim to guard it.
There is no "guarding" needed. You got there by being responsible so you're not going to change well established habits now.

Posts: 3930 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I still can't get past $8,000.00 to paint a house. Around here it's around $2,000~$3,000

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I also get 3-5% back on most things I spend my money on in credit card incentive points. 5% back at Amazon, 5% back at REI, 3% on Restaurants and Travel, 5% at Target, 2% on Costco, and 4% on Costco Gas, and a bunch of revolving categories on a number of my cards that perk things like home improvement stores, grocery stores, etc.

Easily get a few thousand back each year.

Posts: 13051 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
I still can't get past $8,000.00 to paint a house. Around here it's around $2,000~$3,000

Both interior and exterior?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12345 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
There are some things in life that you just have to have that require credit. Good credit will get you better insurance rates as well . In the past few years I have improved my credit score from the mid 600s to high 700s.

Posts: 27982 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
quote:
Agree that one should not just "protect" their credit, but actively cultivate it by opening, using, and maintaining a variety of credit accounts responsibly.

Over the past couple of years and I’ve really learned how to manage and maximize my credit rating, I learned that the higher your credit limit on a particular card or number of cards the more “open Dubai“ ratio you have.

Recently I tried to increase my credit limit on a capital one card that I’ve had for years but have not used for sometime because I have not needed to.

My request was declined because as they put it, “you are not using the credit you have available now”!

Ronin I have heard that Capital One is the worst at manipulating your limits to their advantage. Can't speak personally since I've never had one of their cards but if you are in a good place now it might be time to dump them and move to a different card.

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1773 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
Good for you man. I've been through 7 layoffs, including right after I bought my first and only home I have ever lived in. I made a commitment to keep that credit rating, perfect, no matter what. It cost me my savings, my 401k many years ago, but whatever. That credit, at least to me, is your ass! Without it I would have never made it.

I have a friend that abused the system. Then it came time where he needed a new vehicle. He got the harsh reality of his actions. I spent the better part of 2 years coaching him through fixing it, getting him to the point where he could finance a car. Then he fucked it up even worse than the first tine. And he makes excellent money with his on call pay and overtime in a hospital system. Now he needs credit again and can't get a home loan, a property loan or a car loan. Credit may be a rigged system, but it is what it is and you have to play.

I also use 0% extensively. Tile, furniture, appliances, I'll take it every time. People like to talk financing in blanket terms and this is incorrect. They are financial tools, some of them excellent, to get shit done. "I never finance anything" well good for you. I finance a lot. Not everyone who does this is out on a shopping spree or living beyond their means. It's just a way to get things done when they need done instead of punting it off to cost more money later.

We use credit the same way. Love me some zero interest and Costco/Amazon points, I don't carry a balance. Paid off every debt except car and house, it took many, many years to do so though.

When I got divorced, I paid all my commitments on time. It cost me all of my savings including retirement accounts, but I never paid anything late. I watched my friends walk away from their homes when the housing market crashed, my stupid pride kept me from doing it, if I had done it I'd have an extra $100k+ in home equity. Two or three years after a foreclosure you can get a mortgage.

Just checked my score, 843. Not sure what I could possibly do to get the extra seven points, but I guess I'll just have to settle for near perfect.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20838 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Mine is steady going down, even dipped below 800 as I continue to not have any DEBT.

Still have accounts open just with a 0 debt to limit %.

I'll let it dip and much as they want, I feel more comfortable knowing I don't owe anyone.

On a different note, I've made 300$ in the past 2-3 months putting every expense on an everyday AMEX and paying it off every month. Not much but better than nothing on things I HAVE to buy anyway.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6337 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
My wife and I have not been the smartest when it came to credit. it was not bad, we avoided bankruptcy and have dug ourselves out. We are ok now, just refinanced our house to a lower interest rate. She is working again and we are using the money to pay off debt. Everything gets paid on time.

A few weird things, like medical expenses we were never billed for, and no one can explain it to us, are on our credit as being in collection.

Anyway, my wife and I have a two year plan to have all debt (except the house) paid off. We are excited and looking forward to it.

Thanks for the encouraging post Ronin, it is appreciated.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3592 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Anyway, my wife and I have a two year plan to have all debt (except the house) paid off. We are excited and looking forward to it.

Thanks for the encouraging post Ronin, it is appreciated.

I was in your position once. I understand exactly where you are.

This can be a pretty intimidating site sometimes, so I admire your courage and posting in this thread.

Many of us on here have recommended following the lessons of Dave Ramsey.

If you can, I highly recommend getting access to his videos versus just the book. He is an impactful speaker.

We gained access to his program through our church.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12345 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Outside of serious bad luck, it’s not difficult to build up a good credit score. It often involves delayed gratification and that’s where so many screw it up. My credit has been stellar for 30 years. My wife’s was maybe average or slightly less when we got together. She’s really smart (except her choice in men) but was clueless about finances. Now she shows me things I don’t even think of sometimes.

Posts: 13746 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
Ronin, We did Ramsey a few years ago and while we were not clueless, as some of his clients evidently are, we were enlightened.

We disagree on some things. We will take a vacation this summer (before all our unsecured debt is paid) but we have paid cash for it.
I am not telling the wifelady thst we will not vacation for our 25th anniversary due to some remaining credit card debt Smile

I am most proud that both of our girls seem to be taking their finances a helluva lot more serious than I ever did.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3592 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
I'm. not sure how you guys can come up to any conclusion at all unless you know what his house looks like.

Posts: 3930 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post