SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Maui Jim Sunglasses

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Maui Jim Sunglasses Login/Join 
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted
Is it true you can't find these on sale from an authorized dealer?

Wife is shopping for a pair, but the store peeps say these are never on sale.

Anyone know for sure ?

Posts: 17884 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been wearing them for years and never got a deal. I think they use a similar pricing strategy to Oakley.

Posts: 3914 | Registered: January 25, 2013Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Can't say I've really looked, but all I've ever seen is buy one get one half off from Sunglass Hut (I think).

Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
I got mine on clearance from REI (new models coming in).

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12324 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
It is true Maui Jim is very strict with their dealers and that they can never run them on sale. Now there are other ways around that, like if a large store has a 20% off any purchase over $150 coupon etc. There are some that sell them on ebay too.

Rock or Something
Picture of Marc in FL
posted Hide Post
Only place I found them on sale is Costco. Picked up a pair at the Costco in Maui, for $75, MSRP was more than $300. Only other place that I have seen them on sale is a military exchange.

Posts: 1131 | Location: Tampa Bay Area | Registered: November 14, 2005Report This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
Maui Jim are super nice and I have several pair of costa Del Mar. check eBay as I get costas very cheap there.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Report This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
We would have love to have found a cheaper place, but we paid full price for her MJs last year in Matagorda, Texas at some boutique there. She is still happy with them, and treats them like they were gold...so all is good.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1169 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Report This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
My sister is big into them, maybe just because of the Hawaii reference.

She bought me a pair. After years of careful use they broke. I ended up sending them in for a repair/exchange at about 1/2 price I think.

Posts: 6158 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Report This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
I got a pair almost $100 off list from Optics Planet once. They took over two months to arrive. That's how I learned about Optics Planet.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Report This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
I got a pair almost $100 off list from Optics Planet once. They took over two months to arrive. That's how I learned about Optics Planet.

-Rob

As we all have learned along the way.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Report This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
I know it's a tough pill to swallow, but they really are worth the price. Sometimes you can find a deal at Sunglasshut or Macy's or REI. The ones I have seen at Costco all seem to have plastic lenses, I prefer the glass ones.

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Report This Post
Picture of dEX_RX
posted Hide Post
I've had a few pairs of Mauis over the years and they are superb craftsmanship but, like all glasses, aren't overly durable. That, and much like guns, one style doesn't fit all situations so it's tough to justify multiple $300+ pairs.

I will say that the company's service policy is probably the best I've ever had anywhere for anything. I've sent 3 different pairs in for various reasons and have yet to have to pay a dime for essentially brand new shades.

NXGen Tactical
CZ P-09 MHS Trials #79 | P320RX-TSS | P320SCR | VP9 LE

Posts: 110 | Location: Central Mass | Registered: January 30, 2017Report This Post
posted Hide Post
MJ's go on sale, just not very often. Sunglasses are a very competitive category, where bottom-feeder retailers can get very aggressive and price their items at super-slender margins.

I'm partial to Costa for on-water sunglasses.

Posts: 14649 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Report This Post
Picture of jezsuiz
posted Hide Post
I have seen them discounted online from time to time. If you are willing to wait and look you can find a deal. Never seen them as heavily discounted as Oakley, but you can still find deals.

Posts: 556 | Location: NE not new england | Registered: October 15, 2008Report This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post

Posts: 26899 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Report This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
I mainly wear smith optics now because hey are ballistic rated, but I'm a Maui Jim fan. Their warranty is super.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Report This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Yeah, they aren't easy to find on the cheap.

They do have great C/S for repairs too (dog chewing on them, dropped them - shattered lenses). Come back good as new for far less than a new pair.

I run through a pair of them every 2 years or so. But for something I use pretty much every day, that's life. I've tried other cheaper (but still expensive) sunglasses and they were a waste of money (for me).

Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I tore a nose pad on my 3 yr old Maui Jims yesterday. After reading this thread I emailed them about the free replacement nose pads. I immediately got a response informing me my new nose pads were in the mail.

Perfect

Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Report This Post