SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Wild game eaters…dinner pics from December pig hunt
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wild game eaters…dinner pics from December pig hunt Login/Join 
posted
I smoked a shoulder for 2 hours and finished it off in the oven at 250 for another 8 hours. It was smoky, tender, juicy and all around delicious. Paired with my wife’s dangerously delicious pinto beans and a cold Corona, I felt like I was in a Cuban restaurant. Those who shoot these guys and leave them to rot are missing out. If you take the time to wet age them for 5 days on ice and cold water, they will never taste gamey.

And the star of last nights dinner who took the long sleep from a 75gr Speer bonded GDHP.

Posts: 1102 | Location: Orange Park, FL. | Registered: November 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Triggers don't
pull themselves
Picture of mdblanton
posted Hide Post
The wild pig population is becoming a big nuisance in this area. Looks like you have a very tasty solution.

Posts: 1104 | Location: Petal, MS | Registered: January 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
That looks delicious

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23299 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
That does indeed look delicious.

Is there a certain size hog that yields preferable flavor?

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5487 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post
Excellent! Great work with the harvest, preparation and cooking. It looks delicious!

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 8531 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Excellent! Great work with the harvest, preparation and cooking. It looks delicious!

+1... Hell, yeah!

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24152 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
How does wild pig compare to domestic? Is it gamey or more mild?

Posts: 12472 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:

I have shot a few on hunting trips in NC

I don't find them "gamey" at all. The meat does seem darker overall than typical supermarket pork but it's very good flavor. Maybe the way to describe it is that it's more "porky" tasting than bland, mass-produced white pork.

Posts: 33839 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Hog hunt is definitely something I want to do one day.

Some questions:

1. how many pounds was that hog?
2. how much meat do you get out of a hog that size?
3. what do you do with the rest of it?
4. is .223/5.56 enough to put down a hog?

IIRC, my dad used to say milk would take away the gamey taste. Is that true?

Posts: 13132 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:

A lot leaner and a little more gamey, if you can call it that, but that can mitigated. It is VERY lean, imo.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10493 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mr. Peteroniman
posted Hide Post
that looks very yummy

crock pot does a wonderful job, also

i like the ones up to approximately 125lbs, but the smaller the better

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed.
For after all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog.”
― Charles M. Schulz

Posts: 2016 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: June 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have taken many over the years and enjoy eating them.

I shot more with a .22 lr than with anything else.

I am working on a freezer full of venison now.

Posts: 1072 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Looks surprised. I’m talking myself into a hog hunt. Throw in some sort of Texas exotic to make the trip worthwhile.

The meal looks great.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5157 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:

I have shot a few on hunting trips in NC

I don't find them "gamey" at all. The meat does seem darker overall than typical supermarket pork but it's very good flavor. Maybe the way to describe it is that it's more "porky" tasting than bland, mass-produced white pork.
Have you shot sows, boars, or both? I've eaten some sow and it was fine, but haven't heard good things about boar (i.e. I haven't personally eaten it). Even farm raised pigs get "boar taint" and old boars don't get eaten.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23299 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
It's enviable to be able to self sufficient like this. Hunt, <all the work to clean, age, etc; I don't even know what's involved here>, cook wild game like this. Fish, fowl, bigger game.

I'd like to develop these skills someday. Perhaps once I move to a region where hunting is common.

Very nice!

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12743 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
That looks great.

Feral hogs don't taste gamey to me, but are more strongly pork flavored. They can be lean, so you sometimes cook them accordingly.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:

Have you shot sows, boars, or both? I've eaten some sow and it was fine, but haven't heard good things about boar (i.e. I haven't personally eaten it). Even farm raised pigs get "boar taint" and old boars don't get eaten.

Both sows and boars. But all were pretty young, no big old boars.

The one thing I recall is that due to their leanness, the ribs were pretty much useless to BBQ/smoke like you'd do fatty domesticated pork ribs.

Posts: 33839 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
The consensus around here is the younger ones and juveniles taste the best.

Posts: 7269 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
Great post! Food looks very tasty and the hunt looks like a fine time.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1564 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of uvahawk
posted Hide Post
So why don't the "Hunt for the Hungary" folks broaden their scope from just deer meat to wild pig? Seems like it could be a win-win for everyone.

Posts: 162 | Location: Low Country, South Carolina | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post