SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Greatest Generation and a Day of Infamy
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Greatest Generation and a Day of Infamy Login/Join 
Triggers don't
pull themselves
Picture of mdblanton
posted
I had a close family friend when I was a kid who was a survivor at Pearl Harbor and has long since passed away. I still have his B-17 crewman wings that he gave me.

Here's to the Greatest Generation and Dec. 7, 1941. I read a stat that said the youngest living survivors are now 98.

Posts: 1104 | Location: Petal, MS | Registered: January 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Yeah, if they were 17 on that day, they'd be 98 now so that makes sense.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
The History Channel is the only place I can find running any documentaries on the attack. Was a day when documentaries and movies on the attack were all you could watch on this day. I'm a bit surprised History Channel is even running anything as we know all American history must be erased.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8539 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Some news outlets are still publishing articles, great video at link...

Link Fox News

Posts: 23576 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Some years ago when I posted my opinion that the men at Pearl Harbor that day should be known as “defenders” rather than just “survivors,” someone here pointed out the (stunningly obvious) fact that they could refer to themselves by any term they wanted. I, however, will always think of them as Pearl Harbor defenders during that battle no matter what their role was that day.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47414 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
My Dad joined the Marines right after Pearl Harbor. He'd be 100 years old this month. I never bothered checking this, but he said that there was such a overflow of new recruits, that the new recruits had to build more Quonset huts. I stayed in one of those when I was at Parris Island in 1966.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
My US history teacher in, iirc, 9th grade had his father come into class on Dec 7 to tell us his story. He was at Hickam Field. I still have the audio recording of his talk. One of the most memorable experiences of my public school education.

Posts: 9482 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
The History Channel is the only place I can find running any documentaries on the attack. Was a day when documentaries and movies on the attack were all you could watch on this day. I'm a bit surprised History Channel is even running anything as we know all American history must be erased.

History Channel (HC) is a shadow of itself anyway. They are more interested in doing reality TV like Pawn Stars and American Pickers than do actual History documentaries. I kinda get the idea of those two shows. We all have history tucked away in closets/barns, and they have some worth. But I'm soo sick of those shows, and HC's need to do marathons all the time. And the one 'documentary' they budget is Ancient Fucking Aliens Mad Mad Mad.

But every so often HC still do good to great. On 9/11 they ran a day long retrospect that was well done. And they do sometimes run a documentary or two on the weekends, or marathon Band of Brothers. Sometimes.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Tonight is our Fall/Christmas concert with a barbershop group in which I sing. We are singing a medley of "Taps/Star Spangled Banner/America" in honor this day of remembrance. This will be followed by "Let There be Peace on Earth". 12 guys in tuxedos can make a lot of noise when singing these emotional songs.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4241 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Mrs. Flash and I go onto the USS Arizona memorial every year and pay homage to those brave men.

It's the least we can do.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Pearl Harbor 81st Commemoration

https://www.pearlharborevents.com/

List of the events in Pearl/Hawaii today

Live Feed of Ceremony at 7:30 am today

https://www.dvidshub.net/webcast/30598

Posts: 23576 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jodel-Time
Picture of Mboroman
posted Hide Post
My dad worked with a Pearl Harbor survivor for several years. Walt was on the USS Arizona and he survived by jumping into the water. I wish I could have met him and talked to him but I never did. Even if I had, he probably wouldn't have said anything about it. My dad said that the experience had messed Walt up for the rest of his life. I'm pretty sure he was one of those that felt guilty for surviving when so many others went down with the ship.

I pray that he and all of the others are together and at peace.

Posts: 566 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Wearing my BB-39 Pearl Harbor hat today. My Dad graduated from Signal School at Pearl in January of 1943.

Posts: 7547 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you, HRK for posting that live feed link. I plan to watch the ceremony scheduled for the USS Oklahoma this evening.

My brother-in-law's father, at the time, was a Commander on the USS Maryland also moored at Pearl Harbor during the attack. He was cited for gallantly in leading the mission to cut access holes into the hull the Oklahoma to rescue sailors trapped inside the ship when it capsized on battleship row. His efforts began immediately after the ship capsized and while the attack continued. He is recognized for the rescue of 32 survivors.

He was a graduate of the Naval Academy and a veteran of WWI and retired as a Rear Admiral. He passed sometime in the 1970's. I cherish memories of a few conversations I had with him regarding his recollection of some of the events that tragic day. Like many veterans, he was a very modest man who never volunteered war stories, but offered thoughtful conversations during private moments.

I re-tell some of my conversations with Admiral Kranzfelder to my grandchildren and as many children of the current generation whenever such an opportunity arises. It is so disappointing that our education system finds too many priorities other than teaching them about many of the challenges faced by the Greatest Generation just several decades ago.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Av8nShooter,

Posts: 283 | Location: Central PA | Registered: November 11, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bayouman
posted Hide Post
My Dad was a young Lieutenant in the Army and arrived at Pearl Harber on Dec. 1, 1941. He said on Dec 7th anyone with a weapon was firing at the Japanese planes. He told me he got hold of a 1903 Springfield from the Armory and was popping at them and was sure several of the planes went back to their carriers with his rounds in them.

Bayouman
Never let the enemy pick the battle site.

Posts: 727 | Location: New Orleans, Louisiana  | Registered: June 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
My father died a couple years ago at the age of 90. He was 11 years old living on Oahu and witnessed the attack. He remembered that there was little or no panic amongst the civilians as no-one really knew what was going on at first. I wonder what would happen today if such an attack were to happen in this age of instant updates.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16389 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
My father died a couple years ago at the age of 90. He was 11 years old living on Oahu and witnessed the attack. He remembered that there was little or no panic amongst the civilians as no-one really knew what was going on at first. I wonder what would happen today if such an attack were to happen in this age of instant updates.

They'd all be looking at their phones to see if they were supposed to panic.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
Also today the Navy laid the keel for USS Arizona (SSN-803)
press release

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Long past due to get that name out in the water again. And, a Virginia class fast attack. Nice.

Posts: 7547 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
A big thanks and a prayer for all the service people and to those civilians that lived when Pearl Harbor was attacked and brought us our involvement in WW2.
That generation is due thanks on a daily basis, there sacrifice for our country was unimaginable.
To get knocked on our ass, spring back to our feet, and build a War machine the like the world has never seen, in a matter of a year or two is astounding.
I shudder to think how this type of event would unfold if it occurred now.

Posts: 4638 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post