SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Numbness, left arm…
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Numbness, left arm… Login/Join 
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted
should see a Doctor, I know.

For a week now, i’ve been feeling a constant “after-cramp” sensation on my left arm.
A month or so ago, i missed a step on the stairs at home while carrying hot beverages on both hands and in both cases i landed on my left elbow and the full force of my landing was absorbed by my elbow, shoulder and back. It still hurts. I had no time to recover from the first fall that I fell for a second time. The pain never left me since.

My wife and MIL were both hospitalized one after the other the past three weeks so i had no time to worry about me and we are all exhausted and sleep deprived. 86YO Mil moved in with us so we are getting used to the new situation.
I had the opportunity to visit a Doc that ordered a torso scan but no chance to go talk to him again re: results. My agenda is still full of doc appointments and analysis for wife and MIL.

My back hurts, both shoulders and i lifting anything adds to the existing pain. Any arm.

4 days ago i woke up with this “after-cramp” feeling on my left arm, the one that crash landed and it won’t go away.

Next week i’m still covered in doctors appointments for the ladies but the numbness is starting to worry me.

You, bunch of old farts experienced gentlemen have antthing to suggest?

Much obliged

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12141 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
My only suggestion is to get yourself taken care of, if for no other reason than this: if you’re out of commission the ladies are going to have nobody to look after them.

Posts: 26943 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
You, bunch of old farts experienced gentlemen have antthing to suggest?

Not concerned about anything in the brain, since you did not mention head injury, but still, push for the scan results ASAP. If you didn't sustain any fractures, the minimum is some peripheral nerve injuries. If you experience diminished radial pulse, plus a pale looking hand, on the injured side, that suggests vascular damage and must be looked at pronto.

Q

Posts: 26494 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
My only suggestion is to get yourself taken care of, if for no other reason than this: if you’re out of commission the ladies are going to have nobody to look after them.

Similar point I often have to drive home with my sick/injured patients who insist on pushing through. They have to put bread on the table for the family. But if you're dead, there will be no bread for them, permanently.

Q

Posts: 26494 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:

Fully agree, self preservation 101, BUT wife’s condition was unexpected and serious then MIL (85 turned 86YO yesterday) needs no further explanation. Both were urgent and required immediate hospitalization. I had to be there and had no time nor strength to eorry about my upper back.

We’re back to a new normality and i will look into this hoping it will not be permanent. Both falls were exactly what nder same circumstances. Carrying hot coffee. Have stopped ordering coffee, gave now physical proof that coffee can kill you. Tried twice with me Big Grin

0-0

Posts: 12141 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I suspect that you are also ignoring symptoms. One example is why did you fall two times in a short time span.

So, what would potentially cause two falls AND numbness. As someone with Heart Disease that is the first thing that comes to mind. IMO you are due for a complete head to to physical and a visit with a Cardiologist with a Stress Test should be part of that workup.

Of course you can ignore these symptoms and end up like my older brother. He died at age 59 due to the classic Widow Maker Heart attack triggered by a blockage in the LAD.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5665 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^ Good point.

Circumstances: Used to have coffee delivered daily 5pm at home. Warn weather, i wear flip flops. The coffee arrived but not in the usual easy to handle bag but in separate parts: 2x coffee, small bag with croissants, small bag with spoons, sweetener, sugar and napkins. I was cursing rhe delivery boy. Divided attention and juggling with too many items i failed the step hight by the thickness of my flip-flop sole and down i go. Happened twice.

Stopped having coffee delivered.

0-0

Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
My bones took the hit, as a result ive been in pain for over a month. What hurts is the bone structure, when i lift my left arm, the one that took the hit, it feels like being stabbed under the armpit. Same if i lift the elbow. Lifting light stuff, either arm, reminds me of my misfortune.
But all this is my bone structure feeling miserable.

The subject of this thread is the strange feeling of my left forearm, elbow to wrist. Feels more muscular (cramp like) than bone related.

It’s summer down here, doctor’s appointments are scarce and far between. Take it or leave it. Also we are in the middle of economic pandemonium. Ladies compromised health take absolute priority until sorted out. Fearing my wife, now being strong for her mother’s health, will collapse the minute she relaxes. I’m fine, battered, tired and waiting for my turn.

0-0

Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Sounds like nerve shock with inflammation.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15626 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Hope you get it worked out, you really need to make time to get it looked at not only so you can help with the ladies but so you and the gals are not in the hospital at the same time... Does nobody any good..

Posts: 23585 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Absolutely!

Just wanted to use my friends life experience to guess how concerned should i be and if i need to leave the backburner and give myself some priority.

Feeling like an old geezer is all news to me but it feels like im catching up fast.

Feeling much alive, quoting Capt. Rick Marcinko Big Grin

0-0