SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Residential Door Locks
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Residential Door Locks Login/Join 
E Pluribus Unum
Picture of JRC
posted
Our esteemed member a1abdj has us well covered on our gun safe, safe locks, and commercial safe issues so this may not be in his wheelhouse (but probably is!).

I need to replace an external door knob lock combo (not the separate keyed deadbolt).

What brand recommendations do you have? I am looking for quality a step or two above Home Depot level Schrage stuff.

Thanks!

Posts: 1407 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: March 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Medeco.

Ive been meaning to swap out all my kwikset deadbolts as I can pick them all within 10 seconds except the front door which has security pins.

Posts: 7451 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
I changed all of my locks to Schlage when I moved into my house.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7161 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nismo:
Medeco.

Ive been meaning to swap out all my kwikset deadbolts as I can pick them all within 10 seconds except the front door which has security pins.

If/when I replace mine, I'll be going with Medeco as well. High quality, pick resistant and made in the USA.

Posts: 1820 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
As Extraordinary
as Everyone Else
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Schlage is what we normally install in our houses but we have built homes for clients who, for a variety of reasons, have a higher security concern and we install Medeco.

There are a variety of additional things you can do as well such as install 3" screws in the hinges and put in a foot bolt

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6482 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The most recent time I was locked out, the guy who came out to open the lock shared some wisdom. He said in his redneck drawl "that locks is for honest people." If burglars want in they will find a way.

Posts: 17534 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Medeco or Assa Abloy.

Still doesn’t mean much unless you have an appropriate door and frame.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16317 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spectemur Agendo
Picture of brecaidra
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
Medeco or Assa Abloy.

Still doesn’t mean much unless you have an appropriate door and frame.

-Rob

Definitely; the best lock in the world is no good if you have weak framework.
I like this:
https://armorconcepts.com/collections/door-jamb-armor

SIGforum's triple minority

"It can't rain all the time." - Eric Draven

Posts: 16993 | Location: IA | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
quote:
Medeco or Assa Abloy.

-Rob

Same Company; Medeco is one of 37 brands within ASSA ABLOY Americas.

I'm a VP with ASSA ABLOY Smile

Posts: 1493 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Aha! I knew aileron would stop by shortly! Big Grin

God bless America.

Posts: 13913 | Location: Frog Level Yacht Club | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aileron:
quote:
Medeco or Assa Abloy.

-Rob

Same Company; Medeco is one of 37 brands within ASSA ABLOY Americas.

I'm a VP with ASSA ABLOY Smile

Yep. Big fan. I just specified both b/c you can still find both labels and I wouldn't want OP skipping over one or the other.

I use your padlocks on my luggage when I'm flying with firearms. Pisses off TSA to no end. Big Grin

-Rob

Cool

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16317 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
I'm tethered to a sub-group of ASSA ABLOY that includes Medeco, Mul-T-Lock, ASSA, Adams Rite, HES, Securitron, Folger Adam and Alarm Controls - all mostly commercial. I'm pretty tight with the rest of the ASSA ABLOY companies in the Americas, so happy to answer questions. I also work closely with Allegion and dorma+kaba through my work with BHMA, so ask away :-) And yes, our Medeco padlocks are pretty clever.

Most of the Emtek residential locks uses innards from either Sargent, Corbin-Russwin or Yale commercial, and are comparable to most of the Allegion/Schlage offerings. I won't any anything bad about Schlage or any of the dorma+kaba brands; they make a good product too.

Check out the BHMA residential website and then look for the "BHMA house" logo on the packaging, most of the BHMA members are certifying product to the ANSI/BHMA residential standards and the products are pretty much on the shelves of the big box stores by now.

https://securehome.org/

Posts: 1493 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post