SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    You Should Train Your Cat, Experts Say. Here's How
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

You Should Train Your Cat, Experts Say. Here's How Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
My old Orange Fat Cat was a Feral.
He decides what he wants/needs.
I can accept that.
Kinda' Feral myself.

Posts: 366 | Registered: January 07, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
Trying to train a cat is like trying to set up your wind-chimes to duplicate Rachmaninov's piano concerto.

Posts: 11316 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There was once a famous training experiment involving a scientist named Pavlov and some dogs. What happened was that these dogs got together and decided to train some scientists to feed them upon seeing a stimulus. So the dogs trained the scientists to react whenever the dogs salivated.

When the dogs wanted a treat they would salivate and the scientists would react by ringing a chime and feeding the dogs.

That’s the way my dog explained it to me.

Posts: 1607 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I dunno. I have a Maine Coon who is very smart, as cats go. We communicate. He lets us know exactly what he wants and needs, he comes when called (unless he's sleeping), and he immediately responds to corrective commands like "hey, get off of there!" and "stop eating that!" Beyond that, I can't really think what I'd want or need him to do, besides stop fucking eating houseplants, and I don't see that as a training issue - he knows he's not supposed to.

Posts: 17114 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another example of cat training: If I close the bathroom door to poop privately, the cat will reach under the door, hook a paw onto it and rattle the door vigorously. This distracts me from the task at hand so I let him in. He then sits at my feet and stares at me. I dont know why.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our cat, a 6 month old short hair tabby kitten, loves to play in water. Likes to splash in it, drink it and sometimes climbs into GF shower to get all wet.

A strange cat, indeed, but a great Mouser.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1731 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Transplanted Hillbilly
Picture of Fire Away
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Another example of cat training: If I close the bathroom door to poop privately, the cat will reach under the door, hook a paw onto it and rattle the door vigorously. This distracts me from the task at hand so I let him in. He then sits at my feet and stares at me. I dont know why.

This is definitely a mystery. Every single cat I've had does the same thing.

Posts: 1921 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: December 08, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
Both of our cats do this, one more than the other. My grey cat will paw the door and whine whenever I leave. If I am in the yard she will go from window to window meowing and carrying on. I am pretty sure she is concerned her trained pet will leave and not feed her on time Big Grin

Posts: 1731 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fire Away:
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:

This is definitely a mystery. Every single cat I've had does the same thing.

Your cats are guarding you in what they see as a very vulnerable moment. My cat follows me into the bathroom (where one of the litter boxes is) and take a leak at the same time I do, so we can watch each other's back. I usually have 3 cats outside the bathroom door when I poo or shower.

It's a sign that you're part of the colony and they want to give you a heads up in case a fox or jaguar show up.

Posts: 1133 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
^^ That, and they don't like closed doors. If there is a closed door, they want in. Curiosity.
We have three interior doors that always remain closed and as soon as one is opened, Kiki tries to go in and investigate which I allow now and then.

Posts: 7349 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
Look Human, I will tolerate your pitiful attempts to control me, as it amuses me. Never forget who is in charge in this relationship. Irritate me and I'll throw up on something you love. Repeatedly. Failure to change your behavior will amplify my behavior resulting in my august self randomly knocking off things from shelves that should not be knocked off. And just so you are clear, I might just do any of this now anyway because having to have this conversation made me upset. Are we succesfully communicating about training now Human?

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1952 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
So let it be written,
so let it be done...
Picture of Dzozer
posted Hide Post
Excerpts from a Cat's Daily Diary ...

Day 983 of my captivity...

My captors continue to taunt me with bizarre little dangling objects. They dine lavishly on fresh meat, while the other inmates and I are fed hash or some sort of dry nuggets.

Although I make my contempt for the rations perfectly clear, I nevertheless must eat something in order to keep up my strength.

The only thing that keeps me going is my dream of escape. In an attempt to disgust them, I once again vomitted on the carpet.

Today I decapitated a mouse and dropped its headless body at their feet. I had hoped this would strike fear into their hearts, since it clearly demonstrates what I am capable of. However, they merely made condescending comments about what a 'good little hunter' I am.

There was some sort of assembly of their accomplices tonight. I was placed in solitary confinement for the duration of the event. However, I could hear the noises and smell the food. I overheard that my confinement was due to the power of 'allergies.' I must learn what this means and how to use it to my advantage.

Today I was almost successful in an attempt to assassinate one of my tormentors by weaving around his feet as he was walking. I must try this again tomorrow -- but at the top of the stairs.

I am convinced that the other prisoners here are flunkies and snitches. The dog receives special privileges. He is regularly released - and seems to be more than willing to return. He is obviously retarded.

The bird has got to be an informant. I observe him communicating with the guards regularly. I am certain that he reports my every move. My captors have arranged protective custody for him in an elevated cell, so he is safe. For now ...

'Live long and prosper'

Posts: 3922 | Location: The Prairie | Registered: April 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
Our cats are my 7am wake up alarm, running across my sleeping body, purring loudly in my ear, whiskers in my face, the fat one will lay on your legs and one of them meows at the bathroom door to let them in there so they can lick plastic bags Confused

My cat loves to lick the plastic bag that lines the bathroom trash can.

Posts: 636 | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:
quote:
Originally posted by snwghst:
Friend trained her cat to use the toilet instead of the litter box and even flush it when done

Mr. Jinx?

Taboo

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
My cat is trained to know he gets treats after his mani/Pedi, so he kind of allows it. He comes when I call him if awake. He comes if I touch his food. He makes a different noise for I want food vs I want pets. He's learned how to annoy me if I don't provide him what he wants.

One of us trained, not sure which, but one is.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
Morning or afternoon feeding....
\

Maxine, pretty much anytime I'm in bed, she will lay on me or next to me.

Watching Band of Brothers last week.

Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Back in the 70's, a friend got a Siamese cat and I took some pictures and had them enlarged for him.

Some years later, I made a visit and the cat would not leave me alone. When I sat down, the cat climbed up and was content to lay in my lap. They said they had never seen the cat act like that with other people.

My conclusion was the cat's memory of a long lost friend from the past. You have to wonder how long the past can be recalled. Misty passed away at 17 years.

Dogs have a similar memory recall and get excited when meeting someone from the past.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post